What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

7 hours ago, ItwasLuck said:

Recently acquired this beautiful pairing of a Pelikan M200 with a matching ballpoint pen with box and papers! I got it for a ridiculously good price.
It is from West Germany and was made during the 1960's and has a glorious Factory OBB Nib. It is surprisingly soft and flexible for a SS nib!

2783EAE6-9CAB-4654-8A07-05D3D9A9E8A0.thumb.jpg.61847dd8f6fc7bb847066b08a0dd8dc7.jpg

I love how the box even says West Germany! 

C0D90E9B-A2B8-4B4C-89DB-54441674417C.thumb.jpg.2703f98a932a06134ff775f28919b026.jpg

OOOO I can't wait to see it in use!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the moment, I have 5 pens ready to use:

- A Conkliln Duragraph Forest green (I also have this beautfy in Amber) filled with Diamine inkvent Seasons greetings.
- A Monteverde Artista Crystal filled with Diamine Eau de Nil
- A Monteverde Jewelria filled with Diamine Autumn oak
- A Parker 51 filled with Diamine Oxblood
- A TWSBI Diamond 580 (definitely one of my favorite pens) filled with Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

36 minutes ago, Lexus77 said:

At the moment, I have 5 pens ready to use:

- A Conkliln Duragraph Forest green (I also have this beautfy in Amber) filled with Diamine inkvent Seasons greetings.
- A Monteverde Artista Crystal filled with Diamine Eau de Nil
- A Monteverde Jewelria filled with Diamine Autumn oak
- A Parker 51 filled with Diamine Oxblood
- A TWSBI Diamond 580 (definitely one of my favorite pens) filled with Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine

Very nice collection, @Lexus77, both of pens and of inks. Thanks for sharing!

Would you like to share also some photos? This will "enable" some new buys, I'm afraid, but it will also be a very nice ending of the week. 

In my garden journal I like to use a bright color for plant names.  It makes it easier to find them later.  This is a Retro 1951 Tornado with a fine nib and its color is Orchid.  The ink is a custom mix of DeAtramentis Document inks.  It's nearly the same as Fuchsia - just a little bit warmer as I mixed 1 part yellow to 8 parts fuchsia.  The book is a Paperblanks journal.large.1287913717_Retro1951TornadowithDeAtramentisDocumentInk.jpeg.ff8b6890fb509bb0f2e09fef2a84444a.jpeg

1 hour ago, InkyColors said:

In my garden journal I like to use a bright color for plant names.  It makes it easier to find them later.  This is a Retro 1951 Tornado with a fine nib and its color is Orchid.  The ink is a custom mix of DeAtramentis Document inks.  It's nearly the same as Fuchsia - just a little bit warmer as I mixed 1 part yellow to 8 parts fuchsia.  The book is a Paperblanks journal.large.1287913717_Retro1951TornadowithDeAtramentisDocumentInk.jpeg.ff8b6890fb509bb0f2e09fef2a84444a.jpeg

Very nice approach, @InkyColors. At work, I use for regular notes and todos a regular thinner nib, in the range F to M, with a dark color; I then use a larger nib, B to C, with a bright color typically on the red-orange spectrum, for things I want to emphasize or mark as done. I like very much the contrast! 

3 Kaweco Sports:

-white with Faber-Castel turquoise

- burgundy with Kaweco summer purple

- navy with Kaweco royal blue 

BAOER 388 with Diamine Happy holiday

and 

a Pilot Light blue Varsity clipped to my bag.

Last night I used two recent arrivals, a matte black Hastil inked with KWZ Grey Lux and a Parker 180 Flighter inked with Bleu de Profondeurs.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

So far today it's been the 1st Generation Emerald Pearl Vacumatic, still with vintage Quink Washable Brown.

But I also have the Parker Eversharp/45 hybrid in the queue (with Kobe Suma Beach Blue) and the Noodler's Cobalt Creaper, currently inked up with Noodler's Pasternak.  And the red translucent barrel Sheaffer school pen, inked up with Monteverde Ocean Noir (now that I have a converter for the pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

When so many pen folks declare a pen a favorite, the one pen they would choose if marooned, etc. I can only resist so long. So, even though I use pens with non-italic/stub nibs very little, I finally broke down and bought a Pilot Custom 823. I got it with a Fine nib. I rather like it. It has nice ink flow with the Pilot blue ink included with the pen. I like the degree of feedback the nib provides. With it's shut off valve and great ink capacity, it may be the best (non-italic) choice for a travel pen (assuming I ever travel again).

So, I am using the Pilot Custom 823 today, along with an Edison Collier with a 1.1mm steel stub. Inked with Noodler's Black.

David

38 minutes ago, chromantic said:

Last night I used two recent arrivals, a matte black Hastil inked with KWZ Grey Lux and a Parker 180 Flighter inked with Bleu de Profondeurs.

I have a gold Hastil.  I'd love to see a picture of your black version.

the Danitrio Fellowship

conklin nozac from a trusted seller here - didnt even know they had vintage piston fillers made in the USA until a couple of years ago.  the unusual looking crimp on the pen is actually a transition from facetted to round - quite fancy engineering from the 1930s

large.1566053564_conklinnozac.jpg.3762c7b6d4d1fbcbdc19f65523192f07.jpg

4 hours ago, dms525 said:

So, even though I use pens with non-italic/stub nibs very little, I finally broke down and bought a Pilot Custom 823. I

Enjoy the F!  Between the ink capacity and finer nib, you should get a lot of pages from a single fill. :)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, lionelc said:

conklin nozac from a trusted seller here - didnt even know they had vintage piston fillers made in the USA until a couple of years ago.  the unusual looking crimp on the pen is actually a transition from facetted to round - quite fancy engineering from the 1930s

large.1566053564_conklinnozac.jpg.3762c7b6d4d1fbcbdc19f65523192f07.jpg

+1

Congratulations. That looks really beautiful. Would love to see more pictures and even a writing sample. Is in full working condition?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Kaweco 903D, OEF nib, inked with Sailor Jentle Miruai.

148633388_PXL_20220512_1725264042.thumb.jpg.7997163398a5d4263d819b52c7d33130.jpg

The cap has some hairline cracks, but over the two years that I've had the pen, they don't seem to be getting any worse. 👍

The OEF nib is a nail, but that's what it says on the barrel. 🙂

9 hours ago, Doug C said:

I have a gold Hastil.  I'd love to see a picture of your black version.

E voila!

black Hastil.jpg

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

here's something for the eagle eyed @Gloucesterman, can you spot the common cap problem in the vintage nozacs?  i messed around with the contrast to make it stand out.

large.872444111_nozacwriting.jpg.47210238b3c542544f651b7297aedf1a.jpg

Wow!  You all have some really nice pens!

Today, I've been using a couple different pens, mainly to test out some ink samples I received recently.  I'd bought a 4-pack of some inexpensive Jinhao x750 pens to do the testing.  I also wanted to try my hand at switching out a nib (for the 1st time ever).  I think I fairly successfully switched out a M for an EF.   (kind of a noob at all of this).

The other pen I've been using for some writing I was doing is TWSBI Eco EF.

6 hours ago, lionelc said:

here's something for the eagle eyed @Gloucesterman, can you spot the common cap problem in the vintage nozacs?  i messed around with the contrast to make it stand out.

large.872444111_nozacwriting.jpg.47210238b3c542544f651b7297aedf1a.jpg

If you are talking about the small crack in the cap lip, yes, I see it. If it is something else, I guess you need to point me in the right direction.

BTW, it appears that the cap band has some more details on it. Is that the case or is it a light/reflection issue.

Meanwhile, it's still a great looking pen. If you are willing to share  (either here or with a PM) I am curious as to the cost of the pen.

Thank you again for sharing your "find".

Enjoy it!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I've been using this inexpensive pen I got a pack of 4 of to do some ink testing on some samples I have.  I've never heard of the brand actually, but they write surprisingly well (for being an el-cheapo pen which comes in a pack of 4).  The brand is EPAKH in an EF nib.  No idea where they're from.  They look to be a total knockoff on a Lamy Safari, piston fill and all.  (not a big fan of knockoffs, but I just needed something cheap to try out a bunch of different samples).

Other than that, I've been using one of my TWSBI Eco's with one of my favorite inks, Iroshuzuku, Kiri-Same (grey) for doing some writing.

ETA - Note: I had bought the x-750's and these EPAKH pens at the same time, for the same purpose.  Just trying to learn about different pens and inks.

Edited by FlyingClay
Added text

I got out the Conway Stewart LE series 58 today.