Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

large.PXL_20220430_223024041.jpg.d8cba6982f8394ee8c397a0bcc43b79c.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Journal pen for today: a Pilot Elite with an 18K fine nib, filled with a Pilot black cartridge. It arrived without a cartridge or converter but absolutely clogged with blue ink that took a lot of soaking and ultrasonic to remove. It's writes a little dry and, oddly, looks and feels new - a wetter ink next time, I think - and lots of writing. I guess it's possible the original owner bought it, popped in a cartridge in and never really used it. Whatever. It will be both treasured and put to work now. It's very pretty.

large.PilotElite_white_18k.jpg.6610683749ed90ed47e07ceec88b5de9.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

5 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Journal pen for today: a Pilot Elite with an 18K fine nib, filled with a Pilot black cartridge. It arrived without a cartridge or converter but absolutely clogged with blue ink that took a lot of soaking and ultrasound to remove. It's writes a little dry and, oddly, looks and feels new - a wetter ink next time, I think - and lots of writing. I guess it's possible the original owner bought it, popped in a cartridge in and never really used it. Whatever. It will be both treasured and put to work now. It's very pretty.

large.PilotElite_white_18k.jpg.6610683749ed90ed47e07ceec88b5de9.jpg

Very pretty, indeed. 

14 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Was it a letter to an inkster?  Or did you have bad luck? I find mine all seem to run dry at the same time, sometimes inconveniently when I'm writing a letter and to I want a consistent ink color!

It was a letter to a very Inky friend from pen club. I usually use a pen per side of paper. One was close to running out. One I refilled with a different dark blue before I started. 

I did have a pen run out of ink in a letter to @AmandaW  

If I could locate my Fuji Instax  camera, I had plans to photograph the pens used, and enclose the photo in the letter.  It’s one of the better uses I’ve thought of for credit card sized photos. 

Posted Image

6 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I did have a pen run out of ink in a letter to @AmandaW  

:D More ink examples!

Will work for pens... :unsure:

19 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

:D More ink examples!

Yes indeed! One is discontinued.  I mailed the letter on Thursday. I wonder how long it will take to get to you. A PIF I mailed to South Carolina on Thursday arrived on Saturday. Letter has a much longer journey, but I was impressed by the pen getting to the recipient quickly. 

Posted Image

On 4/30/2022 at 2:46 AM, essayfaire said:

I believe we were discussing artist's versus writer's fude nibs in this thread.  I have my clarification from the nibmeister: the depth of the bend is deeper on the artist's (which is the normal version).  Cap clearance is sometimes the determining factor on which is possible.

Thanks for the update, @essayfaire. This may also clarify the existence of two different fude nibs in the cheap Sailor Fude DE Mannen: fude 45-degree vs. 55-degree steel nibs

10 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Wow, great color mix, thanks for sharing, @amberleadavis!

Now I'm wondering what these pens are. I recognized the Platinum C3776 as fourth from the left, and perhaps also the Sailor (don't know the model, looks like a 1911 Profit standard so not large size) as the right-most, but the others are to me unknowns. 

35 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Wow, great color mix, thanks for sharing, @amberleadavis!

Now I'm wondering what these pens are. I recognized the Platinum C3776 as fourth from the left, and perhaps also the Sailor (don't know the model, looks like a 1911 Profit standard so not large size) as the right-most, but the others are to me unknowns. 

Waterman Lady Agathe - pen and then sheath - Hinze Pens Evancio Melted Crayon - Platinum 3776 - Guider with Mutt Blanks Copper Lagoon - Sailor 1911L.  I was actually showing them off to say that my perfect pen would have a sheath like the Lady Agatha, but have a real size pen.  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

I recognized the Platinum C3776 as fourth from the left, and perhaps also the Sailor (don't know the model, looks like a 1911 Profit standard so not large size) as the right-most,

A Sailor Profit Standard, which has the exact same shape form factor as the Procolor 500 line, would look noticeably smaller than the Platinum #3776 Century:

large.1318919030_SizecomparisonofSailorProcolorProGearProfit21andProske(capped).jpg.eb376c02640da74d2d480dc908c1cd5c.jpg

57 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

… Sailor 1911L.

Specifically the 1911 Large Wicked Witch of the West?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Today's pen is a Pilot Varsity Purple.  Some days I just want a "least-effort" pen. 

Burgundy Sailor PG Realo with a music nib ground to CI.

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Sailor Profit Standard, which has the exact same shape form factor as the Procolor 500 line, would look noticeably smaller than the Platinum #3776 Century

Ooo, interesting. Should have known, I've tried both the Sailor Profit Standard and the Procolor 500, albeit, never next to a Platinum C3776. Thanks also for the pic. 

38 minutes ago, dms525 said:

Burgundy Sailor PG Realo with a music nib ground to CI.

That sounds lovely and idiosyncratic all at once.  Using it for anything interesting?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Happy to have brought this pen back to life, today. A Burnham No. 54, inked with Robert Oster Graphite.

503651190_PXL_20220501_1744570922.thumb.jpg.ef27fe186444a3638aff422f6f71e228.jpg

29 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

That sounds lovely and idiosyncratic all at once.  Using it for anything interesting?

Since I have 4 Sailor Realos (1911 and PG's), 3 with CI-ground nibs, I don't find them "ideosyncratic." My everyday handwriting is italic, so I use these pens as everyday carry writers. 

They are nice writers - a bit toothy, as is typical of Sailors. Their size is perfect to fit in a shirt breast pocket. 

1744258624_SailorRealos.jpg.8627f3177fabfdfef929bc48ce2c50ad.jpg

Sailor Realos

313424786_Sailorsizecompare.jpg.0dc77ac2524d5b9157d50508a764aba0.jpg

Size comparison: (Top to bottom) Aurora Optima, Pelikan M800, Pelikan M620, Sailor PG Realo.

David

1 hour ago, mallymal1 said:

Happy to have brought this pen back to life, today. A Burnham No. 54, inked with Robert Oster Graphite.

503651190_PXL_20220501_1744570922.thumb.jpg.ef27fe186444a3638aff422f6f71e228.jpg

Lovely! And great ink choice too :)