• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, OCArt said:

I thought it was Kugel

Sorry, that was a typo. And yes, it is Kugel. 

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

10 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

large.2022-04-27_00048.jpg.0d6277644f35e63f5207b3416a02fe96.jpg

Over 1000??? I thought I wrote a lot of letters!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

9 hours ago, ItwasLuck said:

K stands for Kugel (ball) and the KF nib is supposed to act like a ball point pen, meaning you can write at any angle.

Thanks for the explanation. That sounds intriguing.  I've been curious about trying a Waverly for the same reason- I tend to change my angle when I write depending on where I am and how I am positioned.  Grinds that I have found to be absolutely perfect for weeks then become paper-tearing-monsters when I position myself in a different workspace.

I think I have learned my fact of the day - there is a fine ball nib called a KF! :)

Festina lente

This evening, a Moonman M3, with a Delike fude nib. Inked with Noodlers FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown.

PXL_20220426_094508335~2.jpg

9 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Thanks for the explanation. That sounds intriguing.  I've been curious about trying a Waverly for the same reason- I tend to change my angle when I write depending on where I am and how I am positioned.  Grinds that I have found to be absolutely perfect for weeks then become paper-tearing-monsters when I position myself in a different workspace.

I think I have learned my fact of the day - there is a fine ball nib called a KF! :)

No problem! We learn something new everyday haha. I think either a Waverly or a KF nib should help avoid any sort of paper tearing. More than anything, I feel if you have at least a western F/M nib, you shouldn’t have to worry too much about this. The more contact area you have, the less chance of digging into the paper. 

I found a very interesting diagram showing the different types of Pelikan nibs back in the day. Some of the nib varieties are quite interesting! I wish Pelikan would go back to offering some of these nib options (especially the oblique ones), If they are not that popular just have them available as a standalone purchase. 

Source: https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/08/28/pelikan-fountain-pen-nib-sizes/amp/

02AD4C6B-A0E6-4A6D-A6D9-6FDA4B7CFEE5.jpeg

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

Today's journal pen was a Pilot Elite with an 18K Script nib. The red is a distinctly pinky-red, much lighter in colour than the modern burgundy Elite. I have it inked with R&K Alt-bordeau which I think is a little dry for it, but OK enough to finish the the fill before trying something else.

large.Pilot_Elite_red_18k_script.jpg.43ef43e4fa3bdc26fdd353ba2f44329f.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

2 hours ago, ItwasLuck said:

No problem! We learn something new everyday haha. I think either a Waverly or a KF nib should help avoid any sort of paper tearing. More than anything, I feel if you have at least a western F/M nib, you shouldn’t have to worry too much about this. The more contact area you have, the less chance of digging into the paper. 

I found a very interesting diagram showing the different types of Pelikan nibs back in the day. Some of the nib varieties are quite interesting! I wish Pelikan would go back to offering some of these nib options (especially the oblique ones), If they are not that popular just have them available as a standalone purchase. 

Source: https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/08/28/pelikan-fountain-pen-nib-sizes/amp/

02AD4C6B-A0E6-4A6D-A6D9-6FDA4B7CFEE5.jpeg

According to this chart I would chose a KEF or a KF!

Festina lente

Today it's been the Dusty Rose Laidtone Duofold (Duovac -- and might be a Junior or a Slender in size), EF (?) nib, with vintage Quink Microfilm Black.  

The pen has a replacement barrel on it which has a date code of 2 with 3 dots (not sure if the original barrel had a date code or not).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today's journal pen is a Lamy Al-Star Blue Green EF filled with J Herbin Vert de Gris. I syringed the ink out of the Pilot Prera fine italic I was using yesterday - it was newly inked, but just too dry for that pen, didn't want to suffer the whole fill or waste it. I don't think it suits this Lamy either, but I do love the colour.

large.Lamy_Bluegreen.jpg.79c76a8307d61e13f509b4a8c3b024f5.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I believe we were discussing artist's versus writer's fude nibs in this thread.  I have my clarification from the nibmeister: the depth of the bend is deeper on the artist's (which is the normal version).  Cap clearance is sometimes the determining factor on which is possible.

Festina lente

2 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Jinhao X750, inked with Diamine Eau de Nil.690099012_PXL_20220429_0810068482.thumb.jpg.94506a09be36495f9d767fde3cb252d5.jpg

I have this pen!  Looks like I should have the ink, too, given the number of teals/aquas I keep around!

Festina lente

Last night, I used the NOS slim Targa that arrived this week; black/chrome with inlaid nib (M), inked with Sailor Yomogi

ETA: I got it from Peyton Street Pens. I'm familiar with their name but this is my first time buying from them, though probably not the last.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

7 hours ago, Misfit said:

I used 10 or more pens in a letter. 

Was it a letter to an inkster?  Or did you have bad luck? I find mine all seem to run dry at the same time, sometimes inconveniently when I'm writing a letter and to I want a consistent ink color!

Festina lente

17 hours ago, essayfaire said:

...given the number of teals/aquas I keep around!

You too? I have no idea where they all came from, but I seem to have a sea of teals/aquas washing up on my inky shores.  😁

1 hour ago, mallymal1 said:

You too? I have no idea where they all came from, but I seem to have a sea of teals/aquas washing up on my inky shores.  😁

I was on a quest to find an ink to match a particular pen and ended up finding some inks that were not suitable for that pen but were quite suitable for me!  Up 'til then I had been a black and blue/black purist... I have fallen so far. ;)

Festina lente

Today it was the Azure Lamy al-Star, with the hanzi nib on it, sporting Akkerman Delfts Blauw.

Oh, and a ballpoint in the kitchen to put dates on the ant traps I had to get yesterday for the kitchen counter.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."