What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

10 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

That's life for you. Forever getting in the way of pen stuff.  🙂  I'm sure you'll figure out the upload thing. 👍

I only have two Morrison's pens, one of which I posted a few weeks ago. This second one is an overlay marked 14kt gold finish. Most of that finish has long gone, and what's left is mainly a silver coloured metal with gold in the pattern. It's still a looker, and functions perfectly. 

1689158907_PXL_20220412_0929141092.thumb.jpg.97086f93afd091f308a77bae17ec6e02.jpg

Question : What do we call this type of work on the overlay? Is it chasing? Etching?

I think "chasing" is the term you're looking for.  The other sterling overlay Morrison ringtop has a similar design, but of course the filigree overlay is the one I really lusted after, once I found out that existed as well as the gold filled filigree.  And the chased overlay one still needs to be made up and running (I just didn't have the time or budget to get that done at the last pen show I was at, and there were higher priorities -- and of course Baltimore-Washington was the first show I'd been to in something like 2 years that actually had some repair people at that I knew (a couple had nib people at), to get the work done at the show.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one. I hope it is in great condition and writes well for you.  🙏

My first couple of Conway Stewarts were 286's...but then, I decided to try the 75. As I recall, my first try was a burgundy one, which I enjoyed very much...and as if by magic, I had a blue one...then a green one...then a black one...and an empty wallet.  I'm sure many of you know how it goes.  😁

Hehe, unfortunately, I am starting to understand how this works only too well. 

Also, thanks for the kind words. Of course, mentioning all the Conway Stewarts leads to an open request for photos -- but without any pressure 😄

This second one is an overlay marked 14kt gold finish. Most of that finish has long gone, and what's left is mainly a silver coloured metal with gold in the pattern. It's still a looker, and functions perfectly

Thanks for sharing, @mallymal1

To me, the pen looks even more distinguished this way. But, because it makes me curious, I have to ask: should one want to refresh the plating, would it be possible? Would it be easy or even trivial? Where would one go for such work, to which kind of professional? Thanks in advance for answering this; I know very little about so many things pen-related, but I am very excited to learn. 

On 4/12/2022 at 4:48 PM, Chi said:

I think it’s a special edition for year 2000. On the cap, there is marking of “Edition 2000.”

Thanks, @Chi. What I liked about this was the contrast between the matte black band and the makrolon-like silvery parts. The regular silver pen doesn't have this (pleasant) contrast, iirc. 

Conway Stewart Belliver in Nebula resin. Medium italic nib ground to make it crisper. I haven't inked one of my Bellivers in a long time. It's a shame, because their bouncy italic nibs are among my favorites.

IMG_1553.jpeg.3a376cad9e00d180d0d2e2c4f0dfdb4a.jpeg

David

The Onoto Scholar after cleaning and refilling it with Blackbird Inks' Kingfisher Blue.

00B7D746-C41C-4EBE-8556-B8AD6D6B204E.thumb.jpeg.9a5a147ca320c2eea2b03086815d1908.jpeg

Haskoson Denim Blue SEM, nib F
by Gerrit de Boer

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.

@dms525 @Honeybadgers

You motivated me.

large.2022-04-14_00019.jpg.7aed842aa9a860228c83f8419001b303.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

TL;DR: A black Pelikan M250 (old style) with 14C OB nib. Inked with Diamine Oxford Blue. Writes well, sings on paper. 

large.20220414_132031.jpg.65b1fca400dd45c974e08cff00f0dfe0.jpg

Figure 1. A black Pelikan M250 (old style) with 14C OB nib.

large.20220414_131949.jpg.da62857fa23a6b8c0dd0c1dfe22fc370.jpg

Figure 2. Pelikan 14C OB nib and M250 cap. 

large.20220414_093621.jpg.b7d70ada67eae0b4a44cbd2d1998f82c.jpg

Figure 3. Pelikan 14C OB nib, fresh after inking. 

Today my weapon of choice is the Leonardo Momento Zero Grande Mosaico Hawaii with an extra fine nib and inked with Diamine Prussian Blue (really nice combination IMHO)

963A41DE-9D92-41D2-9F29-370E5049AAA5.thumb.jpeg.edbffd8e44258b8b3141cd9bf2f9cbc5.jpeg

My new vintage Conway Stewart (and a host of other pens, as usual, but I'm actually thoughtfully using this one, see below - I'm hoping I didn't accidentally do something to the right side of the semi-flex nib when I was trying it out in a wrist brace, as it now appears more curved on the right side than the left):

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, essayfaire said:

My new vintage Conway Stewart (and a host of other pens, as usual, but I'm actually thoughtfully using this one, see below - I'm hoping I didn't accidentally do something to the right side of the semi-flex nib when I was trying it out in a wrist brace, as it now appears more curved on the right side than the left):

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

Very nice pen, @essayfaire! Looks large and comfy to write with. Is it a Model 16?

2 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Very nice pen, @essayfaire! Looks large and comfy to write with. Is it a Model 16?

It's a 475.  It's slightly shorter than a Sailor 1911 S unposted but longer posted.  It feels wider(in a good way!) than it looks.

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1399.jpg

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Last night was my 140, with MV Sapphire and, again, the Aurora Ferrari, this time with another Diamine red. The Wild Strawberry, as I feared, was far too light (and pale, in the F nib) but then I remembered I had a bottle of Ruby. Not as emphatic as the Monaco but definitely more so than the Strawberry and closer to the red accents on the pen than either.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

59 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

It's a 475.  It's slightly shorter than a Sailor 1911 S unposted but longer posted.  It feels wider(in a good way!) than it looks.

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1399.jpg

Very nice, @essayfaire , thanks for sharing! 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:42 PM, OldTravelingShoe said:

Thanks for sharing, @mallymal1

To me, the pen looks even more distinguished this way. But, because it makes me curious, I have to ask: should one want to refresh the plating, would it be possible? Would it be easy or even trivial? Where would one go for such work, to which kind of professional? Thanks in advance for answering this; I know very little about so many things pen-related, but I am very excited to learn. 

I don't know how it's done, but I saw a photo online of a rehabbed Mabie Todd Swan ringtop similar to one I bought last year, and the one in the photo was re-plated, IIRC.  

There are probably businesses out there that do electroplating professionally, but I have no idea what it would cost.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Keeping it simple today: just a white TWSBI Eco EF filled with R&K Dokumentus Braun (Document Brown) which looks almost-black from this nib.

large.TWSBI_Eco.jpg.368ebd1d501e620c5f3a8548f37b5cb9.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

On 4/13/2022 at 8:03 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I think "chasing" is the term you're looking for.  

Thanks. 👍

I'd have gone for that myself, as it's the term we use for the old vulcanite pens with a similar design.