What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

13 hours ago, essayfaire said:

That's a wonderful pairing!  Enjoy.

Thank you! I am enjoying this pairing. It was inspired by @AmandaW's mention of storms a while back.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I am now using my newly arrived and inked (Diamine Imperial Blue) Onoto Scholar.

Very interested to hear more about this one - the reviews seem really good so far, but I notice the price is significantly higher than was first suggested - to the point where it's no longer in the 'budget' category for me. 

4 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Very interested to hear more about this one - the reviews seem really good so far, but I notice the price is significantly higher than was first suggested - to the point where it's no longer in the 'budget' category for me. 

I'll take a picture and post it for you later. 

I got it at what I think was a reasonable (low) price directly from Onoto.  I have heard through FPUK that it is retailing for more although I haven't seen any adverts.  I can tell you that is significantly smaller than the Magna.  It is a nicely balanced, light pen even though it has a copper tube 'weight' inside the barrel.  It posts securely also.  The No7 nib is 'butter smooth' and a pleasure to write with.  

1 hour ago, haruka337 said:

Montblanc Heritage Collection 1912 for today.

20220330_115401.thumb.jpg.f25cf2539ed60847b83c49c6eb2d29d2.jpg20220330_115428.thumb.jpg.632ee0a73c3bc14f654dc45e2aaf42d0.jpg20220330_114717.thumb.jpg.c11dc4795acdfdd27b16246b68bfe382.jpg

I love the pen and the nails.

You may need the pearlescent Kaweco.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Today it's been the Parker Vector Geometric, M nib, with Robert Oster Dragon's Night; and the Noodler's Acrylic Konrad, Forbidden City, with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Tonight or tomorrow I need to do some specialized pattern drawings, so for those it won't be a fountain pen, but more likely one of the trusty Berol Turquoise or Stadler-Mars lead holders for the rough version, then the lines inked over with a Uniball.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today's journal pen is a TWSBI Eco Yellow with a DIY italic nib (the result of trying to get something useful from the dodgy EF it arrived with). The ink is Noodler's Walnut (the original one, not the newer, much redder, version).

large.TWSBI_Eco.jpg.601990127f9537790517dd8a3d3f476b.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I’m using my new Pelikan M200 Cognac that I put GvFC Cognac ink in. The pen is so pretty. 

@AmandaW so sorry I missed seeing your photo of the black swan. 

Posted Image

1 minute ago, Misfit said:

so sorry I missed seeing your photo of the black swan. 

That's OK, I was only teasing. (Though I did think there were some bird watchers in the forum who might like seeing a live time wild black swan even if it was only a terrible phone photo.) :blush:

Parker 75 in black lacque w/18K fine nib and Capris Blue ink. This was my first "real" fountain pen, purchased new on closeout from an office supply store going out of business in 1991 (pen was manufactured in Q4 of 1990). 75s were the first pens I collected and I have over 35 of the 75/Premier family of pens in a wide variety of finishes. This pen is still an excellent writer that gets overlooked in my rotation as I have grown to prefer larger pens. The 75s are still great shirt pocket pens!20220331_065843.thumb.jpg.e01d7abf241dd8ad6221f0fd7edf217f.jpg

4 hours ago, flodoc said:

Parker 75 in black lacque w/18K fine nib and Capris Blue ink. This was my first "real" fountain pen, purchased new on closeout from an office supply store going out of business in 1991 (pen was manufactured in Q4 of 1990).

That 75 looks like it is one of the last-produced type of 75s, with the shallower grip-indents and the ‘fat’ feeds.

Can its nib still be rotated relative to its grip-section?

I now have two of the earlier 75s, which have the deeper grip-indents and the ‘thin’ feeds.
The fact that their nibs can be rotated, so that the nib will always hit the paper at the optimal angle, no matter the angle of ‘bank’ (as opposed to ‘pitch’ or ‘yaw’) at which one’s hand naturally rests, is their best selling-point IMO.

After reading the various user-manuals on Lih-Tah Wong’s excellent Parker75.com, I was worried that pens like yours in the photo above may no longer have had that feature.

It is, after all, no longer mentioned in the 1992 manual, whereas the 1970s manuals rightly made a point of bruiting the feature.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Mercian said:

That 75 looks like it is one of the last-produced type of 75s, with the shallower grip-indents and the ‘fat’ feeds.

Can its nib still be rotated relative to its grip-section?

I now have two of the earlier 75s, which have the deeper grip-indents and the ‘thin’ feeds.
The fact that their nibs can be rotated, so that the nib will always hit the paper at the optimal angle, no matter the angle of ‘bank’ (as opposed to ‘pitch’ or ‘yaw’) at which one’s hand naturally rests, is their best selling-point IMO.

After reading the various user-manuals on Lih-Tah Wong’s excellent Parker75.com, I was worried that pens like yours in the photo above may no longer have had that feature.

It is, after all, no longer mentioned in the 1992 manual, whereas the 1970s manuals rightly made a point of bruiting the feature.

"bruiting" Thank you for the new word. I have never heard or seen it used before.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Today's journal pen was a Pilot 78G B Italic filled with Iroshizuku Syo-ro.

large.pilot_78g.jpg.570e779b50cbe994484e8e6d12d0cb8c.jpg

Today I am using a Ranga 9B Giant with a fine Ranga nib.  The pen is made from Golden Brown ebonite and Is an eye dropper filler.  It is big but comfortable, and the nib is one of the best I have ever written with.

288BD6EC-760F-45AA-98E8-5E98CCCAAD67.jpeg

B420037E-530B-4EF2-8D0E-1BB9052F2C88.jpeg

68DE3DC9-6BB3-4F96-B33C-1FA0BBB4EF96.jpeg

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A2 (Fine) - Montblanc Irish Green

Parker "51" Aerometric (Broad, England) - Waterman Black

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refill

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen was a Pilot 78G B Italic filled with Iroshizuku Syo-ro.

large.pilot_78g.jpg.570e779b50cbe994484e8e6d12d0cb8c.jpg

Very nice, @AmandaW, thanks for sharing. I was very positively surprised by these pens.

(I have several of the 78G+ series, mainly because they come with a CON-40 converter and have EF nibs as well. I have EF, F, M, and B nibs, each in a pen with a different color so I can pick up quickly the one I want for the next stroke. Each of them worked perfectly so far, did not dry out, and writes/draws very well.) 

22 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

I have several of the 78G+ series, mainly because they come with a CON-40 converter and have EF nibs as well. I have EF, F, M, and B nibs, each in a pen with a different color so I can pick up quickly the one I want for the next stroke. Each of them worked perfectly so far, did not dry out, and writes/draws very well.) 

Unfortunately they do dry out here, but it does take about a month. The Western Australian wheat belt is probably about as bad as it gets for a fountain pen. :glare:

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

Unfortunately they do dry out here, but it does take about a month. The Western Australian wheat belt is probably about as bad as it gets for a fountain pen. :glare:

Interesting. I keep forgetting Netherlands has such a mildly varying climate, one that is wet so friendly for fountain pens. (Used to, actually. Now there are some worrying variations and I'm too new to pens to have experienced a summer already.) 

Today's journal pen is the fine italic Pilot Plumix filled with a Pilot Violet cartridge that came with it in the Enso Lettering set. Love the nib and the ink, not so much the grip on the pen... and still figuring out a transplant destination.

large.plumix.jpg.9edb5371c16d78defb385366cc5fe33d.jpg

Lots of feathering from the Jinhao 100, which I'd just cleaned out and refilled with Diamine Kensington Blue.

1852347414_22_03.30jinhao1001087.thumb.JPG.f9c4036cdd5fea63e9eda654feeba4eb.JPG