What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Viceroy with a Starr Pen Company needlepoint fine nib, first pen I fixed to a usable condition. I cant use any downward pressure or it stabs the paper. Yes I know it's 3rd tier but it works.20240902_074242.thumb.jpg.faaac51c1696a00e8a375d671ae7372c.jpg

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@John T that’s a beautiful pen. 

Today’s pen is a TWSBI Eco Caffe Bronze with 1.1mm stub nib filled with J Herbin Cafe des Iles. 

The plan for the day has changed. I did use the Eco to write out food/snack plans for the Chiefs opener on the 5th. I saw an email, that sent me to the porch. The Conklin Duragraph Ice Blue, and the sanding pads recommended by @Penguincollectorarrived a day early, on the Labor Day holiday. So I’ll be using the Ice Blue Duragraph for my page a day pen. I think I’ll put Conklin Antique Turquoise ink in it. 

Posted Image

5 hours ago, Misfit said:

@John T that’s a beautiful pen. 

Today’s pen is a TWSBI Eco Caffe Bronze with 1.1mm stub nib filled with J Herbin Cafe des Iles. 

The plan for the day has changed. I did use the Eco to write out food/snack plans for the Chiefs opener on the 5th. I saw an email, that sent me to the porch. The Conklin Duragraph Ice Blue, and the sanding pads recommended by @Penguincollectorarrived a day early, on the Labor Day holiday. So I’ll be using the Ice Blue Duragraph for my page a day pen. I think I’ll put Conklin Antique Turquoise ink in it. 

I can’t wait to hear how it turns out!

Top 5 of 22 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

14 hours ago, John T said:

Viceroy with a Starr Pen Company needlepoint fine nib, first pen I fixed to a usable condition. I cant use any downward pressure or it stabs the paper. Yes I know it's 3rd tier but it works.20240902_074242.thumb.jpg.faaac51c1696a00e8a375d671ae7372c.jpg

That a lovely pen! The celluloid looks almost floral. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

33 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I can’t wait to hear how it turns out!

Here are photos!

large.IMG_1028.jpeg.6ac9fd32198902429c8fa9c96c45b46d.jpeg

large.IMG_1030.jpeg.7a31f099b84c69b09a3d7671c3b3fa20.jpeg

Posted Image

3 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Here are photos!

The pen's colour is fantastic. 

1 hour ago, ParramattaPaul said:

The pen's colour is fantastic. 

Agreed! @Misfit, what a lovely blue pen, and the ink is a good match.

Today I used a Sailor 1911L with a MF nib loaded with Diamine Eau de Nil and an Opus88 mini with a F nib and inked with Kiwi Inks Glamorous Peacock

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

I’m using my  blue sky Conklin Word Gauge 1.1 stub inked with a custom sheen mix.

Thank you very much @ParramattaPaul and @Penguincollector for your kind comments. I admit I got it on Amazon for less money. It turns out to look better than the photos I saw of it. 

My blue sky Conklin Heritage Word Gauge is nearby. Maybe I’ll use it tomorrow. 

Posted Image

5 hours ago, freaca menta said:

Today I used a Sailor 1911L with a MF nib loaded with Diamine Eau de Nil and an Opus88 mini with a F nib and inked with Kiwi Inks Glamorous Peacock

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

I like the look of the Opus 88!

Today I'll be using my Nakaya Piccolo Writer (aka tamenuri) along with my MB Origin Le Grande.

On 9/1/2024 at 6:39 AM, Lithium466 said:

What a beautiful 51! As for Platinum BB, it's an iron-gall ink (well technically ferro-tannate ??) Since it doesn't contain gallic acid it will not darken as much as more classic IG blue blacks. Diamine Registrar is the strongest out of Pelikan BB and Platinum BB, it will also have the shortest shelf life and will darken to almost black when fresh and on the right paper.

Platinum BB on the other hand will have the longest shelf life, usually doesn't precipitate (but then if your bottle is super old, maybe try it in a cheap pen first), and will feel the least "IG" (dry and unlubricated/watery?) of the 3. A nice and underrated ink for sure. As for precipitation well it varies but what I saw was dark chunks at the bottom of the bottle, along with the ink loosing it's strength, becoming paler and less susceptible to darken with time.

Back to Platinum BB, on the right paper it will sheen red (at least the current version, bottle looks different).

On 9/1/2024 at 8:37 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Trying to remember now.  I think the iron particles looked like small metal shavings (maybe about 3/16" long or so); the ink itself was sort of a washy dark grey -- not even black the way it oxidized to on the page as it dried.  I think I may have pitched the entire bottle because I figure that the bottle would be too hard to clean (I know, I know -- the Akkerman bottles are SOOOO cool).

Of course now I'm wondering about the condition of the OTHER IG inks I have: R&K Salix and Scabiosa; the bottles and one sample I have of FPN member Pharmacist's IG inks in colors besides blue-black (Terra Incinerate, Darkening Absinthe, and -- my favorite -- Turkish Night, and the sample of his blue-black ink Urkundentinte);  the sample I have of Organics Studio Aristotle; and all the KWZ IG inks I've gotten (IG Red, IG Violet #3, IG Gummiberry, IG Mandarin, IG Green #3, IG Turquoise, IG Blue-Black, and IG Blue #3, plus samples of IG Light Light Antique Gold and IG Violet #2)....  And of course Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, which I've been using a lot recently (although I'm less worried about that one, since I think the iron content in it is lower than for some other IG inks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

@Lithium466 &  @inkstainedruth

So here's what CluelessMe did.  Not knowing anything about the ink, I figured that because it was 20+ years old and probably evaporated like all my other vintage inks, the thing to do was to add some water.  I didn't measure the amount I added but maybe the bottle went from a 1/4 filled to this, maybe a 1/3 filled:

CLICK TO ENLARGE

large.IMG_6806800.jpg.bf17b58096162c106d741911b2cc3c8f.jpg

The water was added on the 29th.  I don't see any precipitants on the bottom and it looks like the thicken ink went into solution with the added water.  I know I tried writing with it when I first opened the bottle but of course I can't find the writing sample to compare it with today's sample.

Iroful paper, Kaigelu Long Blade nib on dip pen and Pilot dip pen with non-removable (M) nib.

large.IMG_6819800B.jpg.ff46973db0b4604cf54740d76b4a6463.jpg

large.IMG_6819800C..jpg.4bdd1c499340d1aa2dec3dc8ba123497.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

11 hours ago, Misfit said:

Here are photos!

Great Pics...  you're lighting is so good...  Colors are great....  and the ink matches the pen... 😀👍

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Today so far it's been the new-to-me black Parker 61 (thinking that the nib might be an F).  I've used it pretty often since I finally got the (unknown, but guessing maybe vintage Quink Blue-Black) ink reconstituted enough to flow, and so far it's been a really nice writer for the most part, seeing almost daily use.  

It's been a bit of a hard starter at times this morning, which suggests that I may have to reconstitute the ink again (my first 61 ran for something like 3 months by flushing it with distilled water just enough to get the ink flowing, until it was so diluted as to be completely illegible on the page it was so pale).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

9 hours ago, USG said:

Great Pics...  you're lighting is so good...  Colors are great....  and the ink matches the pen... 😀👍

Thank you. I was in the kitchen, and used the iPhone flash. It is nice how the ink matches the pen. 

Posted Image

Inspired by @Penguincollector I used my Conklin Heritage Word Gauge pen in what I like to call blue sky and clouds but Conklin calls blue.  It has a 1.1mm stub nib, and is filled with Levenger Blue Bahama ink. 

Posted Image

Today’s pen is a Kaweco Collection with silver trim in Lavender, filled with Diamine Lavender ink. The nib is a BB or double broad nib. 

Posted Image

I'm putting a couple of my lesser-used pens to work today - a Filcao Egiptia in black celluloid(?) and a Kenzo in blue with gold trim. I have a pack of Diamine Imperial Purple cartridges to try out so I need to run one of these dry in a hurry.

I received the Asvine V200 from Amazon this morning, and I inked it up with Waterman Serenity Blue. I must say, the Asvine is excellent value for the money, and puts way more expensive pens that I have to shame.

The medium nib is perfectly tuned and writes flawlessly out of the box, and the titanium parts are machined perfectly. Frankly, I am blown away by how much quality you can get for 50 euros.