What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Parker "51" that I bought (and cleaned up yesterday) at a flea market.

Also a Nahvalur Key West Pride 2024 (M-F) with their blue ink cartridge.

I liked it so much that I bought another one, last Thursday, for a friend who does not regularly use FPs (yet)!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

leonardo momento zero grande dark hawaii with a fpnibs titanium ef.  nice and dry with waterman serenity blue, perfect for work.

On 8/11/2024 at 6:36 PM, essayfaire said:

Every estate sale I've been to in these parts I ask, "Do you have any pens?" and they look at me as if I come from another planet.

Similar here unfortunately. We know several of the people in this area but FP just aren’t something you see around here unfortunately. Might have to try a flea market someday.

Gama Kuyil, matte black ebonite, minimalistic, eye dropper fill, slightly larger than an M800, writes a wet and broad line.

@Gloucesterman I almost NEVER find anything at flea markets worth getting -- especially pens.  But a former friend of mine DID pick up a 51 a number of years ago at a big flea market south of Pittsburgh a number of years ago.  And at another one, down in Washington County, a vendor GAVE me a Wearever pen with a stub/IM nib with the name engraved of the owner of some old jewelry store north of there (I Googled the name and found some website showing old newspapers from the 1940s, and the store had an ad for a Christmas sale in one issue; the store -- more recently -- had become an antiques shop but seems to now be closed -- except maybe for online only -- which is sad because I kept meaning to go down there to show the pen off to the people who ran it, just for the interest factor).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today has been something of a "finish the fill" day.  Started out with the Parker Vector "Flowers" pen, finishing a fill of J Herbin Vert Empire.  Then finished the fill of diluted Pelikan 4001 Blue Black in the third iteration of Pelikan M200 Café Crème (that pen was then flushed out); and finished up today's morning pages entry with the Red Shadow Wave Vac, still with Waterman Mysterious Blue.  

Trying to decide whether to now flush the Vector or refill it (I had forgotten just how much I like the color of Vert Empire... it's the first green I tried that I could actually stomach the color of because it's a soft color, not eye-searing or too light and also NOT teal-leaning).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A Sheaffer 1949 "Fat" Crest Touchdown with a fine nib.   The cap has a couple dings, the barrel has a few scratches, but wow that nib.  The nib is still numbered, so it is an early production of this model.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A2 (Fine) - Montblanc Irish Green

Parker "51" Aerometric (Broad, England) - Waterman Black

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refill

Those Sheaffers from that vintage are so cool. I’m going to have to add one or two someday. Stuck using the 1970’s MB146 today. I’ll manage 😉

:lol:

A few years ago a guy that used to be in my local pen club handed me his MB 146 one night and said, "Try this!  You'll be spoiled forever!"  Only, really, not so much... (it was okay, but the M nib on a a Parker 45 I'd found in an antiques shop in butt-nowhere NW PA had a nicer nib -- although admittedly the 146 had an F nib and the P45 had an M nib).  The guy then, a month or two later, had me try his MB 149 and it DID have a nicer nib than the F nib on the 146 -- but the pen itself was just too large and heavy for me).

As for me, today's pens have been a couple of Parker Vectors (both with M nibs) -- one, finishing up a fill of Noodler's Grinch Garnet, and the other newly filled with Birmingham Pens Walnut (I'm trying to make up my mind if I like the ink color).  And still using one of the Parker 51 Vacs with the "T6" code, still with vintage Quink Permanent Blue Black.

Yeah, vintage Sheaffers are some of the best pens ever made.  I am presently using this Sheaffer Crest Tuckaway from 1945, which I recently purchased from Gerry Berg at the DC Supershow.  It writes beautifully.  Now I finally have a Tuckaway!  Erick

Tuckaway.thumb.jpg.071e205d7308b8b0925549bc616d5ff7.jpg

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Pilot 845 "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne, Narwhal New York "F" nib running DeAtramentis Cyan Blue-Copper

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

:lol:

A few years ago a guy that used to be in my local pen club handed me his MB 146 one night and said, "Try this!  You'll be spoiled forever!"  Only, really, not so much... (it was okay, but the M nib on a a Parker 45 I'd found in an antiques shop in butt-nowhere NW PA had a nicer nib -- although admittedly the 146 had an F nib and the P45 had an M nib).  The guy then, a month or two later, had me try his MB 149 and it DID have a nicer nib than the F nib on the 146 -- but the pen itself was just too large and heavy for me).

As for me, today's pens have been a couple of Parker Vectors (both with M nibs) -- one, finishing up a fill of Noodler's Grinch Garnet, and the other newly filled with Birmingham Pens Walnut (I'm trying to make up my mind if I like the ink color).  And still using one of the Parker 51 Vacs with the "T6" code, still with vintage Quink Permanent Blue Black.

My 146 is a F but it’s also 50+ years old so not sure how the nib compares to the modern ones. I love it. 149 is a fine pen but the shape and diameter near the section don’t work for me. 

So far, I have used a black Jinhao 51a with a steel cap and an EF nib, inked with Diamine Registrar’s Ink. I will be coloring tonight, so I will be using a plethora of pens and inks for that- stay tuned! 

Top 5 of 22 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

My pen of the day was a Kaweco AL Sport in anthracite with 1.1mm stub nib, using a cartridge of Kaweco Midnight Blue. 

Posted Image

Nahvalur Pride 2024 (M) w/ Caran d'Ache blue ink.

Filled out a medical form!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

17 hours ago, langere said:

Yeah, vintage Sheaffers are some of the best pens ever made.  I am presently using this Sheaffer Crest Tuckaway from 1945, which I recently purchased from Gerry Berg at the DC Supershow.  It writes beautifully.  Now I finally have a Tuckaway!  Erick

Tuckaway.thumb.jpg.071e205d7308b8b0925549bc616d5ff7.jpg

Well, y’all talked me into it! Stumbled on a Crest Tuckaway Vac-fil FP and pencil set in golden brown and it was so pretty I couldn’t resist. Should ship out today. How do you date them so precisely? I know this one is 1940’s and post-war because it has the small clasp on it. Is there a date code or something to look for once I have it? Thanks.

So far today it's been the black 51 Vac, F? nib (one of the "T6" pens -- still trying to figure out where the second one came from :o), still with vintage Quink Permanent Blue Black.  

Really is a lovely writer. :wub:

Onoto scholar and heritage,  Nahvalur Nautilus,  Lamy Accent,  and a vintage Pilot steel Elite. 

A Mish mash.

the Danitrio Fellowship

5 hours ago, Cjtamu said:

Well, y’all talked me into it! Stumbled on a Crest Tuckaway Vac-fil FP and pencil set in golden brown and it was so pretty I couldn’t resist. Should ship out today. How do you date them so precisely? I know this one is 1940’s and post-war because it has the small clasp on it. Is there a date code or something to look for once I have it? Thanks

Hi @Cjtamu, I did not date the pen, but the person I bought it from, Gerry Berg, provided me with this information.  He is a veteran at collecting and restoring Sheaffers.

Oh, and I am sure you will enjoy the Sheaffer Tuckaway when it arrrives!  Please let us know.

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Pilot 845 "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne, Narwhal New York "F" nib running DeAtramentis Cyan Blue-Copper