What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Reddish brown vintage Mentmore inked with just-arrived MB Burgundy Red.  I was hoping it would be closer to Binder Burgundy.  I want an off-the-shelf ink that looks like Binder Burgundy and is safe for vintage.  

The pairing isn't bad, just not what I was hoping for.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Claes said:

@Penguincollector

I presume that you have already consulted this valuable site?

https://inkswatch.com/ink.html?inkId=683

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I love Inkswatch; I use it so much, it comes up on my browser if I type the word “ink” automatically. 

Top 5 of 22 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

1 hour ago, Cjtamu said:

Ha ha ha. There is a long story involving my mother and the banning of not only Peacock Blue but ANY blue inks when she was in Junior High. She was heartbroken. She saw my Pilot 912 Heritage inked with kon-peki a few months back and loved it so much I gave it to her. What’s the closest match to the original Peacock Blue?

In my experience, Diamine Turquoise is pretty close to Skrip Peacock -- the color is pretty close and the Diamine ink is the only turquoise ink I've found that gives the haloing effect (the darker line around the edges of the pen strokes).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today's pen is one of the new-to-me blue Parker Vectors, M nib, still with Noodler's Grinch Garnet.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Inked up two of my, “Y’all will find these in my estate sale” pens. 1952-53 Pelikan 400 brown tortoise EF semi-flex nib with black Pelikan 4001 and a 1970’s MB 146 Fine nib with Waterman Intense Black. Ink window on the MB is blue, hard to tell in the pic. And a blue marble Pilot VP Fine with iroshizuku kon-peki. Really nice pen and a perfect ink for it.

20240811_122306_resized.jpeg

20240811_122237_resized.jpeg

20240811_131634_resized.jpeg

That VP sure is pretty....  Too bad they're too large and awkward for me, and I'll just have to content myself with the two Decimos I have.

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

In my experience, Diamine Turquoise is pretty close to Skrip Peacock -- the color is pretty close and the Diamine ink is the only turquoise ink I've found that gives the haloing effect (the darker line around the edges of the pen strokes).

That's good to know.  Amazon has Diamine Havasu Turquoise, is that it?  Is the effect paper or pen specific?  Can you post a pic of the halo?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

No, I mean the regular Turquoise.  
I'll try to get photos up at some point -- but remember that the tests/writing samples I do are mostly on really crummy paper.  And they were done at different times, and likely with different pens as well.

15 minutes ago, USG said:

That's good to know.  Amazon has Diamine Havasu Turquoise, is that it?  Is the effect paper or pen specific?  Can you post a pic of the halo?

Are you aware that one, possibly several ink reviews for that ink exist on this site ?

Check the listing in the ink review section. I would wager that you will find one/some there.

And of course I could be wrong because I am to lazy to go and check first!  LOL

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

4 hours ago, Cjtamu said:

Inked up two of my, “Y’all will find these in my estate sale” pens. 1952-53 Pelikan 400 brown tortoise EF semi-flex nib with black Pelikan 4001 and a 1970’s MB 146 Fine nib with Waterman Intense Black. Ink window on the MB is blue, hard to tell in the pic. And a blue marble Pilot VP Fine with iroshizuku kon-peki. Really nice pen and a perfect ink for it.

20240811_122306_resized.jpeg

20240811_122237_resized.jpeg

20240811_131634_resized.jpeg

Every estate sale I've been to in these parts I ask, "Do you have any pens?" and they look at me as if I come from another planet.

Festina lente

5 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I love Inkswatch; I use it so much, it comes up on my browser if I type the word “ink” automatically. 

I hadn't known about this- thanks!  Unfortunately, it doesn't show out-of-production Shaeffer Skrip Red which is an ingredient in the Binder Burgundy concoction. :(

Festina lente

13 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I hadn't known about this- thanks!  Unfortunately, it doesn't show out-of-production Shaeffer Skrip Red which is an ingredient in the Binder Burgundy concoction. :(

We need to find the hex code for Skrip Red and see if we can find something that works. I’ll look for it. I have found bottles of the older yellow label Skrip Red on Ebay- I bought a 16 oz bottle of it earlier this summer. 

Top 5 of 22 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

23 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Every estate sale I've been to in these parts I ask, "Do you have any pens?" and they look at me as if I come from another planet.

At flea markets and such, I specifically ask for fountain pens. Most times the answer is "no". Occasionally though people yes yes and point them out, or say that they did not bring them. Two weeks ago I asked and got the did not bring response, BUT, I also got a phone number and, "I have a bunch at home." Ruth, I know it's not the same as an estate sale and being more specific may help the people you are asking make a (mental) connection between what they have and what you want. Do you ever see the same "sales" people at these sales? Are the same companies/agents running the sale? Do you know their names? Have you established a more direct relationship/connection with  them?

Again, I know it's not the same as a (large) flea market and I know people's names and they know who I am and what I am looking for.

Today, the person who had "stuff at home" was back at the flea market with a bag of about 20 fountain pens. Among them was a beautiful white Moore Fingertip pen. After buying almost all of them, it turned out that the Moore was in excellent condition and fully working. I contacted an acquaintance who I know is a Moore fan. After several emails an a couple of pictures he offered to buy the pen from me for $300.00. Not bad for a fun morning... and 19 pens left over- including 2 Parker Vacuumatics, an vintage Pelikan, 5 Esterbrooks (3 fully functional) and more. Build relationships and have more fun. Let them become your agents. That's my suggestion.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

20 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Around here (Pittsburgh area) there's a website that has listings of estate sales every week the area (including some in adjoining counties) and I look at the listings ahead of time, especially if they have photos.  One company never does, but will at least have extensive paragraphs of listings -- although I almost never find ANYTHING, pen-related or otherwise -- that is worth going to look at (I got lucky on the great wheel, which was described as "large flax wheel"; and even luckier that when I went back on Sunday, everything that didn't have a red dot on the price tag was half off).  Some of the other companies don't get photos up until late week; some of the family-run ones have photos but many don't, so I have to guess if it's worth going to those sales or not....

Pilot metal Falcon in black, fine nib, with Aurora Black.  

Trying to use up the last 2-3 usable ml in my Aurora Black bottle and then I'll move on to a more autumnal color probably next month.

Today it's been the Pelikan M405 Blue Black (EF nib), still with diluted 4001 Blue Black; and one of the Parker 51 Vac "T6" pens (F? nib), still with vintage Quink Permanent Blue Black.

I inked, used, and packed a black Onoto Scholar with Diamine Regency Blue for a short, three-day trip beginning tomorrow.

My pen for the day is a Retro 51 Peacock color pen with a 1.1mm stub nib filled from a sample of 3 Otsters Peacock Blue. 

Posted Image