What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Duke 2000 in black lacquer and abalone inlays w/14K fine nib and Noodler's Black ink. This is a pen I had forgotten I had until I found it while searching for the Signum. It is a substantial metal pen that's heavier than it looks. That's not an issue for me except the section tapers sharply to a gripping area that is too small for the heft of the pen and for my hand.20220326_163219.thumb.jpg.a75c1b0b7b145da30d89c47cae98ade3.jpg

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

large.inkguess93b.jpg.0a8d15ede7ccd1df1cefbf25c38c5257.jpg

I'm trying out a Good Blue R615 with a Calligraphy nib. First impressions of both pen and nib are not great, sadly. I really wanted to enjoy these as I love to be able to support small, local producers, but the pen is far, far too heavy for me, and even the untipped calligraphy nib is a lot less flexible than I was hoping for. 

1 hour ago, PAKMAN said:

New to me Pelikan 400 vintage from the 50's. Traded a brown for it at the Arkansas Pen show! Wish I knew what ink was in it, it's a lovely green.

PXL_20220323_141239156.thumb.jpg.2e94cc7118c321804f5b086b297b29ac.jpg

Love this :)

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

I'm trying out a Good Blue R615 with a Calligraphy nib. First impressions of both pen and nib are not great, sadly.

Sorry to hear that. I saw those in the Penorama newsletter from ten days ago, but wasn't convinced by the product photos that they would be worth the current asking price; and I thought the step-down at the top of the gripping section would be irritating. Brave of you to take the plunge, and thanks for sharing your impressions of the pen and nib!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

17 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Sorry to hear that. I saw those in the Penorama newsletter from ten days ago, but wasn't convinced by the product photos that they would be worth the current asking price; and I thought the step-down at the top of the gripping section would be irritating. Brave of you to take the plunge, and thanks for sharing your impressions of the pen and nib!

Saw some reviews of this pen and they seemed to be quite positive about the pen, nib and feed. Would you be kind enough to be more specific in your evaluative comments. The comment made seemed very general and, given the negative implication, rather cryptic, from my perspective.

I do agree with "ASD" that the asking price seems somewhat high and yet the reviewers seemed to agree that the performance of the nib/feed combination showed good results.

Thank you

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

large.inkguess93b.jpg.0a8d15ede7ccd1df1cefbf25c38c5257.jpg

@mizgeorge What ink are you using here?

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

22 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Saw some reviews of this pen and they seemed to be quite positive about the pen, nib and feed. Would you be kind enough to be more specific in your evaluative comments.

It's exactly what I said. I looked at the product images and the asking prices, and I don't think they're worth my spend, considering what else I can buy with that money in today's market. The shape of the Good Blue steel calligraphy nibs does not look like they would function better than other nibs with cut-outs on both edges, and if neither Scribo's 14K gold flexible nib nor the Pilot 14K gold #10 FA nib impressed me with their actual performance, then in my estimation the Good Blue nibs won't either. What's cryptic about that?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Today's journal pen is a fine Platinum #3776 filled with Diamine Nutcracker.

large.Platinum_3776.jpg.3abb7662892726e50b8c5e598a578a0a.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

12 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

these MadC Esteems are such smooth and easy-going writers and so fun with all the colors

Couldn't agree more, @DvdRiet

At the moment, there are three pens out on my desk:
My black parker 51 (60s model) inked with Diamine Sargasso sea. I usually have one of my 51s inked, since I love these pens so much and I'm lucky enough to have 4 of them, plus a grey vacufiller that still needs a repair on the ink sac.

Then there is my Conklin Duragraph Forest green, inked with Diamine Sherwood. A lovely combo.

The third inked at the moment is a Waterman, of which I haven't been able to track down the model name. I call it my "torsade", because it has twisting facets all around the barrel. A beautiful pen that writes well, although it is a bit too smal for my big hands. It is inked with Diamine Denim.

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

13 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

I give in! I'll go and write a quick review :)

As promised

TL;DR: I spent a good part of today cleaning up a vintage Kaweco Dia 803. The pen works now fine, but my fingers are riveted and dipped in teal ink. I'm very happy. The pen doesn't seem to object. 

large.372219328_20220327_192613KawecoDia803.jpg.dd54412d1876725f9f2fd1629173ac5f.jpg

Figure 1. The Kaweco Dia 803 pen relaxes after extensive soaking and dipping.

large.1007142861_20220327_192725KawecoDia803.jpg.2b8d33c254e12794dc6be265a7759352.jpg

Figure 2. After some relaxation, the 14K M nib shows there's something to talk about. 

More pictures appear in OldTravelingShoe's Random Pics of European Fountain Pens. There's a pic of the nib and the Kaweco seal on the cap finial and another of the green ink window, body until the 803 engraving, and clip profile

17 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

wasn't convinced by the product photos that they would be worth the current asking price; and I thought the step-down at the top of the gripping section would be irritating. Brave of you to take the plunge, and thanks for sharing your impressions of the pen and nib!

I second @A Smug Dill

Still using the vintage green stripe 400 Pelikan but did a good clean out and greased the piston. Now filled with MontBlanc seasons greetings White Forest Pine Scented green ink.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

4 hours ago, Carrau said:

A vintage Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise with an OBB nib inked with Birmingham’s Sea Holly.

OOOO I'd love to see a picture or ten.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Today's journal pen is a TWSBI Eco Turquoise EF filled with Sailor Yama-dori.

large.TWSBI_Turquoise.jpg.6080dffab518b13e40edda32d8507b6e.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Just saw this on the Bay and said, "what the heck" and I won it. It's a medium and I usually prefer fine or extra fine.

If I don't like it it will be on my table at the Commonwealth Pen Show in Boston/Somerville in September.

Pilot Metal Falcon - M 3-27-22.jpg

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”