What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Mostly the new Skyline today,  but have also used the M200 Brown Marbled and the Lamy 2000. Pretty much in that order too in terms od most to least. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/7/2024 at 7:58 AM, Wil D said:

Difficult to explain in English/American. The new Optik paper + feels thicker though it has less gsm. If I rub my thumb over Optik Paper (old version) the paper moves and starts to get loose at the microperforation. If I do this with the new Optik Paper + , the paper does not move and does not get loose at the microperforation. Hope this is clear.

@Wil D & @Claes

IC, so the new paper is thicker, lighter in weight and whiter (and the perforations are stronger).... do you like the new paper better?  If so, why? 

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

10 hours ago, Cjtamu said:

Needed to replace a no good flex nib on my wife’s Delta Write Balance and stumbled on a BOGO on FPR. His new Tanoshii pen. My blue with fine nib and Herbin Bleu des Profondeurs and her purple with EF and Herbin Lie de The’. Have written with both of these today. Very nice pens. And the steel Ultraflex nib I put in the Delta is far better than the original. Have pulled out an Extra 1930 for the rest of the day.

20240809_085753_resized.jpeg

Those are very attractive pens. How does the deal work? I tried adding two, and the charge showed it was for two. I didn’t try to further check out, because I wasn’t sure if the charge would be for one or two. 

Posted Image

Because I ordered the TWSBI Diamond Mini AL in Grape, I’ve been using my other Mini pens. Yesterday I used the AL Mint Blue filled with Diamine Soft Mint. Today I’m using the AL Silver filled with Kaweco Midnight Blue. Both have 1.1mm stub nibs. 

Posted Image

I'm writing this week with a Nakaya "Bamboo Woods" portable cigar with a 14k soft medium nib with extra flex, ground to a cursive italic. It's inked with Platinum Blue-Black.

image.thumb.png.b2e3ea4e34c1a16684a7d145685da752.png

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

@USG Catching up on various threads after being on what was *supposed* to be my vacation (i.e., "working" vacation combined with commuting back and forth between home & the campground where the event was taking place for the past couple of weeks).  And will spend the next few days catching up on other threads from the past couple of weeks between way too many loads of laundry (including possibly running some stuff more than once to get all the mud off them... :wallbash:).

And saw your scans of Manyo Konagi and Robert Oster Blue Water Ice and I would be interested in seeing a side by side of those two inks, since the sheen on both of them appears to be more pink than red.  

Not that I need more ink, of course.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, after not logging in for a couple of weeks, it's seeming pretty overwhelming to me (something like 8 or 10 pages of posts on updates to "The Neverending Story" thread ALONE... :o).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today I am finally using the blue Eversharp Ventura lever filler I bought from my friend Stewart in June. I filled it with vintage Parker Quink washable blue, because he always recommends either Sheaffer or Parker washable blues. It’s a beautiful little writer. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

6 hours ago, USG said:

@Wil D & @Claes

IC, so the new paper is thicker, lighter in weight and whiter (and the perforations are stronger).... do you like the new paper better?  If so, why? 

It is not so much the perforations, the paper is stiffer. I can write on it. All my daily pens work just fine.  For me it works. I like it just as much as the old paper. But it seems the price has gone up. 

On 8/9/2024 at 9:59 PM, inkstainedruth said:

@USG Catching up on various threads after being on what was *supposed* to be my vacation (i.e., "working" vacation combined with commuting back and forth between home & the campground where the event was taking place for the past couple of weeks).  And will spend the next few days catching up on other threads from the past couple of weeks between way too many loads of laundry (including possibly running some stuff more than once to get all the mud off them... :wallbash:).

And saw your scans of Manyo Konagi and Robert Oster Blue Water Ice and I would be interested in seeing a side by side of those two inks, since the sheen on both of them appears to be more pink than red.  

Not that I need more ink, of course.... :blush:

Hi ISR

I thought that would be interesting too.  Capturing the sheen, however, is dependent on at least 2 things.  The paper, the camera and the lighting.  I did my best to try to bring out the best examples on each paper but because there were so many samples, they may not be the best illustrations.

Blue Water Ice has a Pink sheen, Konagi is also Pinkish but leans toward Red.

Pen & Inks Used:

• Robert Oster Blue Water Ice - Jinhao X159 <M>
  • Sailor Manyo Konagi - Sailor 1911KOP <M>

The papers sampled are:

• Kukuyo KB 64gsm
  • OPTIK 90gsm
  • Tomoe River S 52gsm
  • Cosmo Snow 75gsm
  • Iroful 75gsm

> I MOVED THE PHOTOS TO THE 'TRIOS' THREAD, IT WAS TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE HERE <

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/374141-peninkpaper-trios/?do=findComment&comment=4691220

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

back home, waterman 452 with the sheraton pattern.  diamine woodland green.

11 hours ago, Misfit said:

Those are very attractive pens. How does the deal work? I tried adding two, and the charge showed it was for two. I didn’t try to further check out, because I wasn’t sure if the charge would be for one or two. 

You just pick the color and nib you want for the purchased pen. Below that you pick the color and nib you want for the BOGO pen. BOGO pen has to be equal or lesser value of course. When you check out it will show just the charge for the purchased pen. I just checked and all looks good to me.

14 hours ago, jmccarty3 said:

I'm writing this week with a Nakaya "Bamboo Woods" portable cigar with a 14k soft medium nib with extra flex, ground to a cursive italic. It's inked with Platinum Blue-Black.

image.thumb.png.b2e3ea4e34c1a16684a7d145685da752.png

That is one gorgeous looking pen.

So far today I've been using my Mag 1000 and Kaweko Al Sport Piston filler. No doubt I'll be reaching for another pen later on, I'm running low on ink in the above mentioned extremes.

Inked up my new Gioia Alleria, ground from a Broad to a Fine, purchased at the DC Supershow.  Very pleased with the results:GioiaAlleria.thumb.jpg.d0d411086c8507aa1fb68b75b437dbab.jpg

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Pilot 845 "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne, Narwhal New York "F" nib running DeAtramentis Cyan Blue-Copper

So far today it's been the Red Shadow Wave Vac, F nib, still with Waterman Mysterious Blue.  But later I need to probably get some bills in the mail, so for that I'll be using one of the Noodler's Charlie pens, flex nib, still with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

39 minutes ago, langere said:

Inked up my new Gioia Alleria, ground from a Broad to a Fine, purchased at the DC Supershow.  Very pleased with the results:GioiaAlleria.thumb.jpg.d0d411086c8507aa1fb68b75b437dbab.jpg

Great. Looking.  Why broad to fine? All they had in stock?

the Danitrio Fellowship