What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

@USG

>InesF explained the viscosity thing

Grumpf! I should have written surface tension instead of visc.

Luckily, InesF spotted my error, so now I have corrected my post.

> How are you using the viscosity InesF's chart to choose inks?

Sort InesF's chart in surface tension order. That will give you a range from Orange Soleil to Citrus Black. I bought inks from each of her four subdivisions (low, medium-low, medium-high, high delivery plus the top "extremely low surface tension/restricted use" division) --- and filled pens with inks spanning the whole range, so to speak.

> What paper are you using?

Every kind I have available, from lousy office copier paper up to Tomoe/Iroful &c.

> Are most of those nibs fine?

No -- I picked the pens that presently were available...

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Claes said:

Every kind I have available, from lousy office copier paper up to Tomoe/Iroful &c.

That's how I select my paper too!

6 hours ago, USG said:

How does the new Optik paper differ from what you refer to as the original?

Difficult to explain in English/American. The new Optik paper + feels thicker though it has less gsm. If I rub my thumb over Optik Paper (old version) the paper moves and starts to get loose at the microperforation. If I do this with the new Optik Paper + , the paper does not move and does not get loose at the microperforation. Hope this is clear.

8 hours ago, USG said:

Hi @metalhead  is that an accurate Kon Peki color?  Mine is less blue and more turquoise.

you are right sir. it shows a bit more saturated blue in the picture, probably because its been the in the pen for around 2 months, and also perhaps because poor white balance - its a photo from a phone camera indoors.

This month it's my late 20s Parker Duofold Jr.  Chinese red or orange or whatever you call the color.  Its strictly a writer's pen with cap chips and shrunken celluloid in spots, but I love writing with it.

On 8/7/2024 at 4:12 AM, Claes said:

Thanks, you're a wealth of knowledge  😀👍

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Pelikan L65 dark blue, M with 4001 blue black ink

Jinhao X159 <M>

Robert Oster Blue Water Ice, [Sheening, Shading, Outlining]

Cosmo Snow

Click to Enlarge

large.IMG_6337800.jpg.9d72a365c0e27e5db0f23d104e7a08b5.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

My group today:

Jiaxiang JD and the other ones are Jinhaos.

image1(3).jpeg.2a4a60fa6d7e6fee2c6b593985f11c17.jpeg

1 hour ago, RedPie said:

My group today:

Jiaxiang JD and the other ones are Jinhaos.

image1(3).jpeg.2a4a60fa6d7e6fee2c6b593985f11c17.jpeg

That's a nice colourful bunch! By the way, which ink have you got in your newest pen?

3 hours ago, Scribs said:

That's a nice colourful bunch! By the way, which ink have you got in your newest pen?

It is filled with Private Reserve, Sherwood Green. Thanks for asking.

On 8/7/2024 at 7:53 AM, USG said:

Explain a little more what you're trying to do with you M 400F.  Are you trying to get a solid line or shading or something else?

I only acquired my 1950s Pelikan 400 (not ‘M400’) fairly recently, having finally succumbed to the Temptation provided by Bo Bo Olson’s several eulogies to the nibs on these pens.

I wanted to see whether I could handle - and whether I would enjoy - the ‘bouncy’ and somewhat ‘flexible’ nibs of this vintage.

And I have to say that the crisp lines and natural variation provided by the ‘cursive italic’ nib grind and the ‘bounciness’ of the nib are things that (to my slight surprise) are things that I find to be delightful.

I didn’t buy the pen with the specific intention of getting a solid line, or of getting shading.

I expected the pen to be of similar ‘wetness’ to my ‘modern’ (1990s-2020s) Pelikans, but was surprised (and pleased) to find that the ebonite feed/1950s nib on my own, single example of this pen gives lines that are even wetter than those on my modern Pelikans.

If its performance is representative of that of all 1950s 400s, I reckon that one with an ‘M’ nib might be great for writing personal letters, and that one with a B or BB nib might be the ultimate pen for signatures.

The springiness of this nib means that I wouldn’t try to use it for rapid note-taking (I have Lamy pens with Z50 nibs, and Parker “51”s for that) but, I think that this pen (which has a very narrow nib that gives lots of line variation, and holds ~2ml of ink) might just be the perfect pen for journalling for me 😊

Slàinte,
M.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Mercian said:

And I have to say that the crisp lines and natural variation provided by the ‘cursive italic’ nib grind and the ‘bounciness’ of the nib are things that (to my slight surprise) are things that I find to be delightful.

I didn’t buy the pen with the specific intention of getting a solid line, or of getting shading.

I expected the pen to be of similar ‘wetness’ to my ‘modern’ (1990s-2020s) Pelikans, but was surprised (and pleased) to find that the ebonite feed/1950s nib on my own, single example of this pen gives lines that are even wetter than those on my modern Pelikans.

If its performance is representative of that of all 1950s 400s, I reckon that one with an ‘M’ nib might be great for writing personal letters, and that one with a B or BB nib might be the ultimate pen for signatures.

With my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you all by what I typed there ⬆️, I would now like to ask that you all please disregard that apparent endorsement of these pens.

Clearly, those were merely just confused ramblings, brought about by the incipient senescence that is one corollary of my advancing age.

You should all rest assured that nobody still makes pens like 1950s Pelikan 400s for very good reasons!

E.g.s these pens are:

• too small;
  • were only made in decoration/finishes that are ugly;
  • have nibs that are ‘delicate’ and ‘finicky’;
  • make one’s handwriting even-less legible to younger generations;
  • hold too much ink;
  • are already overpriced!

My apologies to you all again.

Slàinte,
M.

There, that ought to put other folk off from buying them. [And help to bring their prices down for me. BWAhahahahahahahahah!]

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Mercian said:

With my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you all by what I typed there ⬆️, I would now like to ask that you all please disregard that apparent endorsement of these pens.

Clearly, those were merely just confused ramblings, brought about by the incipient senescence that is one corollary of my advancing age.

You should all rest assured that nobody still makes pens like 1950s Pelikan 400s for very good reasons!

E.g.s these pens are:

• too small;
  • were only made in decoration/finishes that are ugly;
  • have nibs that are ‘delicate’ and ‘finicky’;
  • make one’s handwriting even-less legible to younger generations;
  • hold too much ink;
  • are already overpriced!

My apologies to you all again.

Slàinte,
M.

There, that ought to put other folk off from buying them. [And help to bring their prices down for me. BWAhahahahahahahahah!]

LOL!

Nice try.

This morning:  Majohn C1 as an eyedropper with FPR's Ultra Flex #5.5 nib installed.   An acrylic flex pen!

In the background, the other pen this AM:  A Ranga Samurai in brushed/glass acrylic with Ranga's flex nib.  Note, the Ranga Flex nib is not nearly as flexible as the UF nib from FPR.  May play with the seating depth . . .

The ink in the Majohn is Birmingham's Salamander, which writes nicely and dries to a really nice darker green with a bit of sheen to it.  Tons of character.  I actually chose it this morning for the wrong reason:  that I have two bottles of the stuff and the Majohn's ink capacity is a bit intimidating (sooo much ink in one place . . .)

image.thumb.jpeg.4789f78174ee40e7ae1c5febe47bdb48.jpeg

Here's another:  A Fountain Pen Revolution Jaipur v.2 with a 14k UF nib.  I was not prepared for just how soft and responsive this nib is.  It is a whole 'nother universe of wet.  Currently being run off a converter, but eventually it will be an eyedropper pen as well.  Look at that reservoir!  The thing is a monster.

I actually have to be careful what paper I choose to use with this pen, as ordinary papers wilt under the amount of ink this thing puts down.  It is a gorgeous line, though.  I feel like it represents the return of a mid-centry flex nib in a thoroughly modern pen.  Amazing.  Ink is Iroshizuku Green Bamboo something or other -- a perfect compliment to a wet nib.

image.thumb.jpeg.0f5b3fa9d3f33751ff12577bdf1bf7b8.jpeg

Needed to replace a no good flex nib on my wife’s Delta Write Balance and stumbled on a BOGO on FPR. His new Tanoshii pen. My blue with fine nib and Herbin Bleu des Profondeurs and her purple with EF and Herbin Lie de The’. Have written with both of these today. Very nice pens. And the steel Ultraflex nib I put in the Delta is far better than the original. Have pulled out an Extra 1930 for the rest of the day.

20240809_085753_resized.jpeg

Nahvalur Key West 2024 Pride Limited Edition Fountain Pen w/ M-F nib. Marked "M" but writes "F" to my eye.

Using and old blue cartridge.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 hour ago, Inky_Ben said:

Ink is Iroshizuku Green Bamboo

I like that great looking green! Perfect for me.

Today:

Edison Glenmomt w/M Arctitect

Schon DSGN Pocket Six in brass w/EF