What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Pelikan M800 green/black stripe with a fine nib. I will be taking notes for most of the afternoon so I need a fine nib. It is on the stiff side, but that serves note taking.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Pelikan M800 needlepoint, Namiki Black (not my favorite pairing, but it’s almost done)

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Parker IM Monochrome Blue F, Parker Penman Sapphire cartridge (1:4 distilled water to ink, was a bit dehydrated) 

Namiki Nippon Art Collection Origami Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

CopyCatMe on Cosmo Snow

Pelikan M800 'F'   Edelstein Sapphire

JunLai 630 'M'   Diamine Upon A Star

Parker 45 'M'   Parker Penman refilled Mocha Cartridge

Pilot Art Flower 'M'  Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko

large.IMG_6248_800.jpg.338f28112d059713a2ca3bbc4b5866f0.jpg

large.IMG_6249800.jpg.c6e3bd976458c300ad7937e346dd4bfb.jpg

large.IMG_6252800.jpg.d1a9fed7c9cb464acca596078bab179e.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

The pen I'm using today is one of my reliable favorites -- a Schon DSGN "full size" pen in Ultem, using the #8-size section and a Bock 380 titanium Fine nib I got from FPNibs. The two components (pen and nib) are a nearly perfect combination, it writes first time every time, and just continues writing and writing. I'm using it as an eyedropper filler, so it also goes nearly forever without needing a fill. It also helps that I really like the ink I have in it, which is one of the snow-cone flavors (I think it was), Plum from Papier Plume, a nice grapey purple. 

At my age I am thinking seriously about which pens I will be selling off before long, and which I will keep until the end. This one is definitely a keeper. 

12 hours ago, USG said:

CopyCatMe on Cosmo Snow

Pelikan M800 'F'   Edelstein Sapphire

JunLai 630 'M'   Diamine Upon A Star

Parker 45 'M'   Parker Penman refilled Mocha Cartridge

Pilot Art Flower 'M'  Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko

large.IMG_6248_800.jpg.338f28112d059713a2ca3bbc4b5866f0.jpg

large.IMG_6249800.jpg.c6e3bd976458c300ad7937e346dd4bfb.jpg

large.IMG_6252800.jpg.d1a9fed7c9cb464acca596078bab179e.jpg

Look at the sheen of Upon a Star, how pretty! The Mocha is so shiny! The similarity between the hues of the Sapphire and the Nadeshiko, at least on a screen, is very striking. I don’t have Nadeshiko, is it super similar to Konagi, or different enough to add to my inks?  The Sapphire is one that I would like to add glitter potion to when I get around to it.

I  love your Art Flower pen, it’s such a nice size and style of pen, I wish artisans would still work on smaller sized pens than their current wont. I know it’s more difficult for them, but I prefer pens that don’t feel like a jumbo crayon. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Today I am using my only vintage, a grey 1960's Parker "51" with a gold filled cap.  It has a fine 14K nib.

IMG_5255.jpg

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A2 (Fine) - Montblanc Irish Green

Parker "51" Aerometric (Broad, England) - Waterman Black

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refill

The CS Churchill.

And no thank you very much.  I am not interested in purchasing the newly introduced 150th anniversary of WSC's birth special edition.

Fun day today. Three impulse buys arrived en masse yesterday evening. This French Waterman CF is excellent. I love Waterman’s blue lacquer and the plating on this one was in such great shape. PSP said 18K M nib, but very close to the F on my Gentleman. Pilot blue in this one.

20240727_165144_resized.jpeg

This actually purchased the day before the Waterman. Flat top Laban mother of pearl. PSP said it was a large pen. Behemoth would have been more appropriate. Barrel diameter is 15.88 mm. Section tapers from 13.7 mm to 11.4 mm. I find it very comfortable, and surprisingly my wife does also. Cartridge/converter. 18K B nib that I believe is a Bock, but open to correction from those better-versed than I. The feed doesn’t look like any 18K Bock or Jowo I can find so assuming it was something Laban had made to spec. Inked with iroshizuku shin-Kai and it is smooth and wet! Maybe too wet but sure provides nice shading. Haven’t been able to find this model anywhere, would love info if anyone has it. Only halfway similar model I’ve seen had the trim described as sterling. Could be, or maybe plated brass. No metal ID anywhere.

20240727_164339_resized.jpeg

20240727_164558_resized.jpeg

20240727_190419_resized.jpeg

Been eyeballing this pen for months. Wife caught me looking at it last weekend and was afraid I would buy it, which would have ruined her plans to purchase for my birthday. So, she rushed off to “bed” and purchased. Since my birthday isn’t for a couple more months it was a real surprise when she gave it to me last night! Her lack of patience is the stuff of legends ha ha. Montegrappa Extra 1930 in spaghetti green. Have seen this pen in silver trim but not gold. Appears to be a limited edition, box labeled as 3/20. EF 18K honeycomb nib that Kirk tuned before sending to me. Just a touch of springiness, smooth with excellent ink flow using iroshizuku ku-jaku. Absolutely wonderful to write with. Thanks, sweetie! 🙂

20240727_163848_resized.jpeg

20240727_163915_resized.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Cjtamu said:

Fun day today. Three impulse buys arrived en masse yesterday evening. This French Waterman CF is excellent. I love Waterman’s blue lacquer and the plating on this one was in such great shape. PSP said 18K M nib, but very close to the F on my Gentleman. Pilot blue in this one.

Did you get a converter (preferably, or at least some cartridges?

They are both challenging to find.

Just realized that I passed Pi in my number of posts here on FPN!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

5 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Did you get a converter (preferably, or at least some cartridges?

They are both challenging to find.

Just realized that I passed Pi in my number of posts here on FPN!

Cartridge. On the hunt for more and/or converter for future reference. Congratulations on passing Pi!

@Cjtamu Both beautiful pens but where did you find the Laban mother of pearl fountain pen?  Thanks.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

3 hours ago, Cjtamu said:

That is a nice looking pen.

23 minutes ago, OCArt said:

@Cjtamu Both beautiful pens but where did you find the Laban mother of pearl fountain pen?  Thanks.

Thank you. Laban was at Peyton Street Pens. Just killing time surfing and noticed she had a Laban section. Looked and there it was!

15 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

That is a nice looking pen.

Thank you. The most elegant and understated of the three by far LOL. 

Out and about today so I was using my Ellington Stealth that has been royally beat to (bleep). I told the folks at Ellington  it is like a Timex - takes a liking and keeps on ticking. About a third of the black finish is gone from the metal barrel. Pen writes fine and the dings make for good conversation. I have the replacement they sent me and the mechanical pencil in a pen sleeve I got from Galen Leathers in Turkey. When I dress up, the pen holder comes out. Ballpoint on the desk is either a Parker Jotter or a generic Office Depot ball point, whichever I grab first. 

12 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Look at the sheen of Upon a Star, how pretty! The Mocha is so shiny! The similarity between the hues of the Sapphire and the Nadeshiko, at least on a screen, is very striking. I don’t have Nadeshiko, is it super similar to Konagi, or different enough to add to my inks?  The Sapphire is one that I would like to add glitter potion to when I get around to it.

I  love your Art Flower pen, it’s such a nice size and style of pen, I wish artisans would still work on smaller sized pens than their current wont. I know it’s more difficult for them, but I prefer pens that don’t feel like a jumbo crayon. 

Hi PGC...  Upon a Star is one of my favorite inks because it shades very well and doesn't have a blinding sheen.  The ink came from a Jun Lai 630 that hasn't been used in a while. The ink condensed in the feed and looks a lot more sheeny than it usually does.

Sailor Manyo Nadeshiko is also one of my favorite inks.  I have it in a number of pens because it's one of the best shaders I have.  The color is a true sapphire, but lighter than the Edelstein Sapphire.  The Pilot Art Flower pen also hasn't been used in a while so the color is darker than it usually is. 

Compared to Konagi, I'd say the Konagi is more of a blue-blue with the slightest tinge of teal and Nadeshiko is a true sapphire.  Konagi also 'Outlines' and has some sheen while Nadeshiko doesn't.

large.IMG_6253800.jpg.17c2c26dbced905c5746550722c4b3a4.jpg

large.IMG_6255800.jpg.7f6a9e0bca9476ead540ee9d87814e9a.jpg

large.IMG_6256800.jpg.0fdcea1c0c4aed55484b38cf7c328163.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

@USG, thank you. Next to each other, differences are notable between the two Sailor inks. I have noticed a trend in that I tend to like ink best when the pen it’s in is almost out of ink, perhaps because it’s more concentrated. The Nadeshiko’s shading is really beautiful.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery