What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

On 5/17/2024 at 10:29 AM, Claes said:

Kaweco DIY <F> nib, filled with Kölsche Tinte (which is a Diamine store exclusive).

Actually, this is a very good combination!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

This makes me want a beer.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just inked this Duke Beijing Opera Rhythm with Pelikan Royal Blue. It isn't just a pretty face; it comes in an impressive gift box.

IMG_20240522_110654223.jpg

IMG_20240522_110751149.jpg

IMG_20240522_113358039.jpg

IMG_20240522_111123911.jpg

IMG_20240522_111159090.jpg

I wonder about the name. It sounds like a literal translation of something that would make more sense if expressed idiomatically.

Incidentally the box also contained this document. I gather it refers to the 14K nib and the 24K gold-plated trim. The same two characters always follow "14K", and one of those two also follows "24K"; could that be the symbol for gold? Can anyone out there tell us what it says?

2022-03-20 001 001.jpg

2 hours ago, Arthur Pewty said:

I wonder about the name. It sounds like a literal translation of something that would make more sense if expressed idiomatically.

Incidentally the box also contained this document. I gather it refers to the 14K nib and the 24K gold-plated trim. The same two characters always follow "14K", and one of those two also follows "24K"; could that be the symbol for gold? Can anyone out there tell us what it says?

2022-03-20 001 001.jpg

Courtesy of @XYZZY

IMG_5944.thumb.jpg.b2e4059766e4bd2fc83efecc395ae153.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

I’ve used seven to write my entry in a traveling journal. I haven’t finished my part, so pens might get up to eight or ten. I’ll try to finish it once I get home from the hospital. Or tomorrow. All I’ve eaten today is a granola bar and a Snickers bar. That’s it since 9:30am to now at 6:35pm CDT. 

Posted Image

I'm using a piston filler Lorelei 667 - purple with transparent body - and a fine nib. It's filled with Diamine Vivaldi.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I’ve been sketching and working out a design with my Bungubox x Sailor Norwegian Wood.  When I first received it, I feared the MF nib might be too fine.  Now, I’m really falling for it.  Great for fine details.  I think it really is going to be the ideal sketch pen I hoped it would be when I ordered it.

7 hours ago, USG said:

Courtesy of @XYZZY

IMG_5944.thumb.jpg.b2e4059766e4bd2fc83efecc395ae153.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this translation. So this isn't about the Beijing Opera pen at all. I must look up Pearl of the Sea.

2 hours ago, Surlyprof said:

I’ve been sketching and working out a design with my Bungubox x Sailor Norwegian Wood.  When I first received it, I feared the MF nib might be too fine.  Now, I’m really falling for it.  Great for fine details.  I think it really is going to be the ideal sketch pen I hoped it would be when I ordered it.

The Sailor MF nib is indeed great, I have one on a 1911L and it’s a nice alternative to standard fine nibs. 

Today I pulled out my little used Osprey Madison that seemed to dry out with every nib and ink combo I tried (including changing feeds so it wasn’t a feed issue). I slapped some Pelikan 4001 turquoise into it with a stub nib and it did write decently for a bit. I’ve got it sitting upside down at the moment to see if I can saturate the feed and will try it again tomorrow. 

Then I switched to my 1950s Pelikan 400nn with a left oblique nib, inked with a brown Robert Oster ink whose name escapes me at the moment. I love this pen. The nib is semi flex and between that and the oblique really creates some interesting line variation. It writes like no other pen I own. 

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” 

-Groucho Marx

On 5/23/2024 at 12:46 AM, Arthur Pewty said:

I just inked this Duke Beijing Opera Rhythm with Pelikan Royal Blue. It isn't just a pretty face; it comes in an impressive gift box.

IMG_20240522_110654223.jpg

IMG_20240522_110751149.jpg

IMG_20240522_113358039.jpg

IMG_20240522_111123911.jpg

IMG_20240522_111159090.jpg

Nice bling pens!!!

Today it's been three pens:

1) Esterbrook Dollar pen (black, 3668 Firm Medium Sunburst nib) -- still with Waterman Serenity Blue.

2) Noodler's Charlie (flex nib) -- still with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

3. Pilot Decimo (light grey, F nib) -- still with diluted Namiki Blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just received a Waterman 92 1/2 in the mail. It flexes but it needs pressure to do so. I'm not comfortable flexing that much so it's probably a catch and relese. Pretty pen though.

I used a Delike New Moon green marble with a Nemosine 1.1mm stub nib filled with Diamine Eau de Nil. It wrote the last page in my second page a day log book AKA a copper Leuchtturm lined notebook.

Posted Image

on an omas theme - alma mater studiorum medium nib with diamine ancient copper.  i would call the nib flexible.large.omasalmamaterstudiorum.jpg.3f1ae5a0bac827710375882d3999bc56.jpg

Jinhao 159 orange with Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin and Jinhao 950 Lotus with Pilot Iroshizuku kon-peki. 🟠🔵

2 hours ago, lionelc said:

on an omas theme - alma mater studiorum medium nib with diamine ancient copper.  i would call the nib flexible.large.omasalmamaterstudiorum.jpg.3f1ae5a0bac827710375882d3999bc56.jpg

Just curious... do you experience any nib creep or "crud" with the Ancient Copper?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

its not too bad but is noticeable on flexxy type nibs @Gloucesterman, no big deal, wipes off in seconds

I used the Levenger True Writer Pinkly, M nib, filled with Iroshizuku Yama Budo, and a Pilot Explorer white with CM nib, and the black ink cartridge that came with it. 

Posted Image