What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

An Imperial from the Gerlach/Brod factory (WW2 era).

imperial FP.jpg

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pilot Elite M nib with my first converter full of Iroshizuku Kon Peki. I understand the hype with this ink now! It’s pretty special. 

After trying Baystate Blue in my Jinhaos, I wanted a bright, saturated blue that wouldn’t be ridiculously hard to clean out of my nicer pens. So Kon Peki seems to fit the bill.

I still might break down and put Baystate Blue in one of my nicer pens. Now that I’ve tried it I’m finding it hard to stay away from that bright neon saturation. Baystate Blue is kind of like the methamphetamine of the fountain pen world in that way 😆

I’ve also written a bit today with my Lamy 2000 in EF inked with some Noodler’s Violet. Great combo that I’ve been enjoying for a while.

Imperial piston filler from the WW2 era with Pelikan 4001 blue/black.

I’m using a Greenfield School pen with 1.0mm stub nib filled with Pelikan Edelstein Olivine. 

Posted Image

Platignum gold nib cartridge “M”, EF  purple clicky pen, Schneider BK406. This was before midnight.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

I had these made by John Twiss from Sherwood Forest 11 years ago.

They are always in my rotation and still the most ornate pens I have. John made them for me to take the Manuscript pens nibs and feed which I really enjoy writing with but of course, the original bodies are a cheap plastic hence, these 2 beauties!

Twiss pens.jpg

Today it's been the grey Pilot Decimo, F nib, with (now diluted) Namiki Blue because I was too lazy to flush it out entirely; and one of the Noodler's Charlie pens, newly inked up (as of last night) with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am starting to use my Jinhao 950 today.

IMG_7669.JPG.c3aad5c07f1fc8123ac1f1ad2bd8006d.JPG

Pelikan M600 black tortoise with Edelstein Onyx today. Nib says M but it writes like a B. 

20240513_073323_resized.jpeg

Parker 51 Aerometric with medium nib and Waterman Intense Black ink.

Today, I am taking a Rotring Initial <EF> for a spin.

Spontaneously, I am not especially fond of it: it is too heavy,

and with cap posted, prone to flip backwards 😞.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Something old, something new... I'm writing with an Ackerman Pens piston-filler fitted with a Mudie's Squeezer pen in place of the original sketch nib.

In the office today with a Pelikan M800. My favorite of the modern Pelikans. Fine nib with Edelstein Sapphire. A joy to write with.

20240514_064333_resized.jpeg

A no brand metal pen with Goulet #6 nib with Diamine Ancient Copper. What a lovely pen!

PXL_20240514_1204339762.thumb.jpg.7b1a64e37447a103b22db5dcda90a34b.jpg

2 hours ago, ruby.monkey said:

Something old, something new... I'm writing with an Ackerman Pens piston-filler fitted with a Mudie's Squeezer pen in place of the original sketch nib.

I bought Ackerman pens some years ago but have not used them for ages. I saw that he seems to have developed his range and style a lot since I last looked - how are you finding the pen?

4 hours ago, Claes said:

... with cap posted, prone to flip backwards 😞.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

An acrobatic pen!

6 hours ago, Claes said:

Today, I am taking a Rotring Initial <EF> for a spin.

Spontaneously, I am not especially fond of it: it is too heavy,

and with cap posted, prone to flip backwards 😞.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Same with my Jules Verne MB writers edition, the cap is way too heavy for comfortable posting and writing.

Medium Shaeffer No Nonsense with vintage Skrip Emerald ink. The ink was a little lighter than I like usually so I added a little black ink to taste. 

image.thumb.jpg.5601e3a0b75deaf700caf73ecdde495b.jpg

4 hours ago, Stompie said:

I bought Ackerman pens some years ago but have not used them for ages. I saw that he seems to have developed his range and style a lot since I last looked - how are you finding the pen?

Not bad. Feels pretty solid and looks tidy. I think these are no-name Chinese pens to which he had fitted his own ebonite feed. Mine worked well with the original sketch nib (which I still have and use) and is a great mount for any number of vintage nibs. One does have to be careful not to push the feed too far in to grip, as there doesn't seem to be any way to push it out from the back - the section and barrel are one piece and the piston assembly doesn't seem to come off either; and the cap posts on the piston knob, with all the potential fun that might entail. Overall a decent pen and far less of a pain to get working properly than his original eyedroppers.

2 hours ago, cossar said:

Medium Shaeffer No Nonsense with vintage Skrip Emerald ink. The ink was a little lighter than I like usually so I added a little black ink to taste. 

image.thumb.jpg.5601e3a0b75deaf700caf73ecdde495b.jpg

I like the black added to the Emerald! I call it Emerald Teal because it’s not green. 

Today I have used a Yiren EF dinosaur pen with Herbin Lierre Sauvage, but there are many hours left and 22 others inked, so I will check in later.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery