What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

I’m also that person, Ruth- and the offensive pen was a clear vegetal resin Konrad. It was so bad the area around my desk at the store stank and we had to put it away as the ladies working on their papercrafts the next table over were complaining. One said it smelled like an unwashed behind, so it wasn’t just me. It gave me a migraine. The ebonite ones smelled like tires, which is fine. 

2 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@Penguincollector People keep complaining about the stench of Noodler's pens but I have never had a problem -- and I'm the one my mom used to have sniff the leftover roast beef to see if it had around too long in the fridge and had gone bad....

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YIKES!

Yeah, I don't mind the smell of the ebonite ones.  But I've NEVER had an issue with the vegetal resin ones (although I've seen lots of posts over the years from people who have).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My new Lamy 2000 EF inked up with some Noodler’s Blue-Black (my favorite ink so far)

I’m in pen heaven today! :happycloud9:

Wrote a birthday letter for my wife and have been doing my usual journaling as well. 

EDIT: forgot to include my crappy photo lol

IMG_3830.thumb.jpeg.9487cc1e2bb4fa2de57ca9d00a98119f.jpeg

4 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

YIKES!

Yeah, I don't mind the smell of the ebonite ones.  But I've NEVER had an issue with the vegetal resin ones (although I've seen lots of posts over the years from people who have).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I wonder if the plastic derived varies depending on lots, especially if one lot is made from vegetation that is stinkier than the next. It’s a neat idea, but in practice it’s best left in the compost pile. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Oh, here’s the glamour shot of the pen that I am using today, a Cross Century II in Translucent Blue with Chrome Trim. F nib, Cross Blue-Black cartridge. The watch is just for fun because it needs repair but it’s very pretty.

large.IMG_0880.jpeg.cec90d9c6a8e22cab714a826d9580239.jpeg

I’m using the Lamy Safari Pink Cliff with 1.1mm italic nib filled with De Atramentis Document ink blue gray. 

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Oh, here’s the glamour shot of the pen that I am using today, a Cross Century II in Translucent Blue with Chrome Trim. F nib, Cross Blue-Black cartridge. The watch is just for fun because it needs repair but it’s very pretty.

large.IMG_0880.jpeg.cec90d9c6a8e22cab714a826d9580239.jpeg

That watch is gorgeous!

Today I used about 20 strange pens <f> from Amazon (I use the normally for ink testing). I am trying to find a twin/clone for ST Dupont Violet. This ink looks very different in a broad nib, but I had to start somewhere.

I also used a Fountainpen Revolution Flex pen and a vintage BCHR Conklin Crescent Filler.

Added 2 more pens to my inked stable. Kaweco sport double broad with Vinta Sirena and Jinhao Shark with FPR 1.0 and one of BPC ink-speriments. 

Does it count to refill an inked pen?  Refilled my Lamy Safari Blackberry broad with Lamy Blackberry.

1 hour ago, fireant said:

That watch is gorgeous!

Today I used about 20 strange pens <f> from Amazon (I use the normally for ink testing). I am trying to find a twin/clone for ST Dupont Violet. This ink looks very different in a broad nib, but I had to start somewhere.

I also used a Fountainpen Revolution Flex pen and a vintage BCHR Conklin Crescent Filler.

Thank you! I found the ST Dupont Violet on inkswatch, this is what they deem close:

large.IMG_0882.png.4eb920242dd7c36df41ada1e68d10303.png

1 hour ago, fireant said:

That watch is gorgeous!

Lovely watch for a lady with fine taste. 

Looks like a vintage Hamilton?

Edited by penwarrior32

22 hours ago, Mercian said:

That box containing an arrow with a ‘P’ either side of it is not a date code.
It is the French manufacturer’s stamp that indicates that the manufacturer of the certified/hallmarked precious-metal item is the ‘Parker Pen’ company.

It may be that the Premier was never produced with date codes on it (or one might be located somewhere elsewhere on the pen, e.g. on the threaded part of the grip-section, which is normally hidden inside the pen’s barrel).

Btw, I’ve been looking on the website that I linked to earlier, and what I said before about your pen ‘dating to the late 1980s’ is wrong.
That section band was used on the 75 during the late 1980s, but it looks as though the Premier was always produced with the wide gold band around its grip section.

So, perhaps it is only possible to say that your pen was made some time between 1983 and 1991, and that we cannot narrow-down that date any further. Sorry.

Thanks for the clarification.

The ink flow is great for a vintage FP.

IMG_6356.thumb.jpeg.60efaf9b43f29b5eda27eccb3a8e5b3c.jpeg

Not sure yet.  Lamy 2000 Medium vs Pilot Custom Enjyu Medium.  Both filled with Noodler’s North African Violet.  I can’t determine what the wrong answer is here.

1 hour ago, Surlyprof said:

IMG_6356.thumb.jpeg.60efaf9b43f29b5eda27eccb3a8e5b3c.jpeg

Not sure yet.  Lamy 2000 Medium vs Pilot Custom Enjyu Medium.  Both filled with Noodler’s North African Violet.  I can’t determine the wrong answer is here.

The incorrect answer is 'only one of them'.

the Danitrio Fellowship

15 hours ago, penwarrior32 said:

Lovely watch for a lady with fine taste. 

Looks like a vintage Hamilton?

Thank you, it is a vintage Hamilton. It’s a family piece, I don’t know many details, as I am not really a watch person. 

35 minutes ago, Doug C said:

The incorrect answer is 'only one of them'.

🤣 So true!  So do I swap by line or by page?

Today’s pen will be a Kaweco Sport AL Aurora green with BB nib. I’ll be filling it with Diamine Ultra Green ink. The nib has been drying overnight. 

Posted Image

On 4/16/2024 at 7:42 PM, penwarrior32 said:

Time for a change today 

20240417_103942.thumb.jpg.a9ca685a8066d459bb45f31257b993b1.jpg

Wow!  What a beautiful pen.  Looks like it might have been 3D printed.  How’s it write?

51 minutes ago, Surlyprof said:

🤣 So true!  So do I swap by line or by page?

Mix it up....!

the Danitrio Fellowship

1 hour ago, Surlyprof said:

Wow!  What a beautiful pen.  Looks like it might have been 3D printed.  How’s it write?

Nib: hyperflex quill nib. Bock nib. 

Writing experience: smooth and wet.

Variation in line widths.

Good control (weight of the pen).

Enjoyable writing experience. 

My lousy handwriting does not do justice how well the pen writes. 

Construct: ultra high pressure casting technique - nano fusion. Gold plating over sterling silver body / cap with black trim.

Looks like 3d printed - agree with you. Either the comments on the pen is like chicken coop wire or it is like an art piece. Hahaha 

Edited by penwarrior32

15 minutes ago, penwarrior32 said:

Either the comments on the pen is like chicken coop wire or it is like an art piece. Hahaha 

Well, FWIW, my own mind generated three thoughts when I first saw it;

1- that is beautiful 🙂

2- I bet its texture feels really interesting in one’s hand 🙂

3- but it also looks as though it’s probably a major Dirt Trap, and I bet it’s a real ‘challenge’ to keep it clean! 😢

I guess I’m just showing my age again, eh? 😁

I also bet that its combination of that texture and its gold plating make it absolutely mesmerising when writing by candlelight :thumbup:

[Before anyone replies with ‘Drag yourself out of the Nineteenth Century, granddad!’, I ask them to bear in mind that I am English.
We are not yet sure that we entirely trust your newfangled ‘electricity’… :ninja:]

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png