What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

I used a Conklin Duragraph Abalone Nights with stub nib filled with Monteverde 2019 DC Super Show Teal ink. 

Posted Image

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just switched from yesterday's pen: a Pelikan M800 Red and Black with a broad cursive italic nib filled with writer's blood to today's: a Pelikan M101N Lizard with an EF filled with Noodler's American Eel Black. Glad to be back to using Pelikans. They just seem to fit my writing style better with their wetter, broader nibs and consistent flow.

Pelikan Twist YELLOW!!

Jinhao 159

Jinhao 999 Twins Dragon. Heavy but good! 

JunLai 631 Ebonite in a beautiful black with reddish pattern. Beautiful and writes very nicely.

PXL_20240328_104836183~2.jpg

4 hours ago, lukeap69 said:

JunLai 631 Ebonite in a beautiful black with reddish pattern. Beautiful and writes very nicely.

PXL_20240328_104836183~2.jpg

that's one beautiful pen.

Any more information about it? I am unfamiliar with the name.

Thank you.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Let's see.... so far today it has been a little Ranga Monterey, a little M200 Blue Marbled and a few others. I  don't just use one pen on any given day. My letters to penpals are often quite colorful. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Gloucesterman said:

that's one beautiful pen.

Any more information about it? I am unfamiliar with the name.

Thank you.

Thanks.

I can't blame you for not knowing the brand. 😁 

I believe they use to call themselves WingSung, some YongSheng, and now JunLai or JunL. Most of their products are 'inspired' by established brands/model. At least this 631 and its big brother 600 are I believe not exactly 'inspired' by specific model. I could be wrong. 😁 

PXL_20240328_104855482~2.jpg

Today my new Grifos Pocket Pen filled with Monteverde Copper Noir

20240326_210515.thumb.jpg.23b6450d954afda415f9e16989809250.jpg20240326_210530.thumb.jpg.0bec24f8b1fc97d94edcef69bdde4982.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

15 hours ago, Misfit said:

I used a Conklin Duragraph Abalone Nights with stub nib filled with Monteverde 2019 DC Super Show Teal ink. 

I always enjoy your post MsFit. 😀👍 I forgot what a Conklin Duragraph Abalone Nights looks like and had to look it up.  Very nice looking pen. 👍😀

9 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

Just switched from yesterday's pen: a Pelikan M800 Red and Black with a broad cursive italic nib filled with writer's blood to today's: a Pelikan M101N Lizard with an EF filled with Noodler's American Eel Black. Glad to be back to using Pelikans. They just seem to fit my writing style better with their wetter, broader nibs and consistent flow.

That's quite a switchl 'D'.  From an M800 to a M101N.  😀

Of course CluelessMe didn't know what the Lizard version looked like so I had to look it up like I did for MsFit's Duragraph.

Wow, what a nice compact beautiful pen that is.  Of course I immediately wanted one... 🤪

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Today's journal pen is a Muji with a fine nib, its ink is the cartridge that with it. I'm surprised how comfortable this is to hold - kinda skinny with the tiny grip section - it works for me.

large.Muji_f.jpg.ca0e2a2f2f2622c4d1872ea6567e2a7a.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

12 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen is a Muji with a fine nib, its ink is the cartridge that with it.

The MUJI Aluminium fountain pen is pretty difficult to get these days; MUJI in Australia now only ranges the Polycarbonate fountain pen, which is effectively a plain white Platinum Preppy. I asked staff in the Sydney CBD store, and was told that the product hasn't been officially discontinued per se; it's just there isn't stock of it anywhere. I'll see if I can find any in MUJI stores when I'm in Osaka and Kyoto.

The biggest ‘flaw’ of the Aluminium fountain pen, from what I've read, seems to be the quality of the ink in the supplied cartridge in the retail package. If you're happy enough with the performance of the ink as-is, so much the better!

12 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I'm surprised how comfortable this is to hold - kinda skinny with the tiny grip section - it works for me.

Have you tried a Lamy cp1? I find it's even better — less cold to the touch, and the absence of the section with the rough finish makes it even more comfortable to hold and write with. The only thing is that the Schmidt F nib on the MUJI Aluminium fountain pen probably writes finer than any Lamy EF nib out-of-the-box.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, USG said:

I always enjoy your post MsFit. 😀👍 I forgot what a Conklin Duragraph Abalone Nights looks like and had to look it up.  Very nice looking pen. 👍😀

Thank you so much for your very kind and wonderful words. 

I meant to post a photo using the bright basement lighting.  I filled the pen down there while tending to laundry. I didn’t take the iPhone with me, so no photo. But I can always write on my Tomoe paper inserts, and post in the Stub of the Day 2 thread. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Thank you so much for your very kind and wonderful words. 

I meant to post a photo using the bright basement lighting.  I filled the pen down there while tending to laundry. I didn’t take the iPhone with me, so no photo. But I can always write on my Tomoe paper inserts, and post in the Stub of the Day 2 thread. 

Where's the Stub of the Day 2 thread?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

MUJI in Australia now only ranges the Polycarbonate fountain pen, which is effectively a plain white Platinum Preppy. 

A Platinum Preppy in solid colour? Which cartridges it uses? Maybe this will be a new trend for the Preppy.😀

2 hours ago, USG said:

Where's the Stub of the Day 2 thread?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

3 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

A Platinum Preppy in solid colour?

There are at least two products which fits the description: the MUJI Polycarbonate fountain pen, and the Kokuyo Pernapep fountain pen.

4550344596883_1260_3000x.jpg?v=1692348889 img_lineup_pen_3.png

The latter has a lower retail price, at least in the Japanese domestic market.

3 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

Which cartridges it uses?

See for yourself, and I'm sure you'll recognise them for what they are: https://mujiaustralia.com/products/polycarbonate-fountain-pen-ink-cartridges-4-pack

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

9 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Today my new Grifos Pocket Pen filled with Monteverde Copper Noir

What a great looking pen! Very nice, have fun writing with it.

Thank you A Smug Dill your information and pictures that are very illustrative. One more pen for the waiting list, I hope that I will be able to travel to Tokyo in autumn. Preppys are some of the most useful pens to take in a trip, with yellow ink for underlining and blue for notes.

Jinhao 159...my orange version and a Pilot Petit 1. The Pelikan Twist also has some ink in it! ☺️

14 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

The MUJI Aluminium fountain pen is pretty difficult to get these days; MUJI in Australia now only ranges the Polycarbonate fountain pen, which is effectively a plain white Platinum Preppy. I asked staff in the Sydney CBD store, and was told that the product hasn't been officially discontinued per se; it's just there isn't stock of it anywhere. I'll see if I can find any in MUJI stores when I'm in Osaka and Kyoto.

The biggest ‘flaw’ of the Aluminium fountain pen, from what I've read, seems to be the quality of the ink in the supplied cartridge in the retail package. If you're happy enough with the performance of the ink as-is, so much the better!

Have you tried a Lamy cp1? I find it's even better — less cold to the touch, and the absence of the section with the rough finish makes it even more comfortable to hold and write with. The only thing is that the Schmidt F nib on the MUJI Aluminium fountain pen probably writes finer than any Lamy EF nib out-of-the-box.

You may want check out Amazon (AU) for a Muji pen. I have seen the advertised here in the U.S.A.. IIRC, they do charge several dollars more and still less than $20.00 USD. BTW, it's been a while and it was just a quick glance so I could be in error.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”