What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

So far today just a white TWSBI Eco F filled with Lexington Grey for q few journal pages. Almost empty... might draw with it for a while so I can finish it off and clean it.

large.TWSBIEcoF_LexingtonGrey.jpg.8edbea30d72d1815d3876cfb26fa8545.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ll be using the Kaweco x Cult Pens special edition Apple Green pen with 1.1mm stub nib. It has Kaweco Palm Green ink in it. 

Posted Image

10 hours ago, Misfit said:

I’ll be using the Kaweco x Cult Pens special edition Apple Green pen with 1.1mm stub nib. It has Kaweco Palm Green ink in it. 

With my ‘Wicked Enabler’ hat firmly on

That pen looks like it might be a good candidate to use with Diamine ‘Apple Glory’ 😉

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

14 hours ago, Mercian said:

Today is one of the rare occasions when I have only ‘posh’ or ‘fancy’ pens on the go.
Pens in-use chez moi today:

Early-1980s Pelikan M400 in ‘Brown Tortoiseshell’. ‘M’ nib.
Inked with Pelikan Edelstein ‘Smoky Quartz’.

1990-92 ‘W.-Germany’ Pelikan M800 in green stripes. ‘M’ nib. Which is much wider than the ‘M’ nib on its early-1980s sibling.
Inked with Pelikan Edelstein ‘Aquamarine’.

Hey M-

Any Pics of the pens and the inks?  What paper?

Any sheening or shading?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Glossy Red Lamy Al-Star loaded with Lamy Blackberry:

sharper.jpg

2 hours ago, USG said:

Hey M-

Any Pics of the pens and the inks?  What paper?

Any sheening or shading?

I have rushed the following, to try to get the last of the daylight. The sun is rather low in the sky, so the contrast is high, and not all details may come out…

large.IMG_3500.jpeg.b033a582bbad71d01c9bdd063e9613c1.jpeg

If you would like me to re-take pictures of close-ups of the writing - or of the pens - please just say.

In answer to your questions, the paper is 90gsm Oxford ‘Optik’ - a smooth, coated, white paper. It is kinda like Rhodia. But I slightly prefer it to Rhodia.

I find that both of these Edelstein inks give shading, but that neither of them gives me any sheen.

From a broader nib the Smoky Quartz would give more shading than it does from this relatively-narrow early-1980s ‘M’ nib.

Edit to add:

I find that the colour of the Aquamarine reminds me strongly of the wax crayon of that name that I had in a Crayola box in the early 1980s. N.b. I would only use this ink in wet-writing pens like these Pelikans. I may try it in my Lamy 2000 one day. I suspect that it may be too ‘dry’ for use in ‘drier’-writing pens.

The Smoky Quartz is a dark brown that I find to be even more pleasing than my Diamine ‘Chocolate Brown’.
Its performance is better (it is less-‘wet’, so less smudge-prone) than that of the Diamine ink.

Second edit to add:

See also my post at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/354628-a-poem-a-day/?do=findComment&comment=4665287

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mercian said:

I have rushed the following, to try to get the last of the daylight. The sun is rather low in the sky, so the contrast is high, and not all details may come out…

large.IMG_3500.jpeg.b033a582bbad71d01c9bdd063e9613c1.jpeg

If you would like me to re-take pictures of close-ups of the writing - or of the pens - please just say.

In answer to your questions, the paper is 90gsm Oxford ‘Optik’ - a smooth, coated, white paper. It is kinda like Rhodia. But I slightly prefer it to Rhodia.

I find that both of these Edelstein inks give shading, but that neither of them gives me any sheen.

From a broader nib the Smoky Quartz would give more shading than it does from this relatively-narrow early-1980s ‘M’ nib.

Edit to add:

I find that the colour of the Aquamarine reminds me strongly of the wax crayon of that name that I had in a Crayola box in the early 1980s. N.b. I would only use this ink in wet-writing pens like these Pelikans. I may try it in my Lamy 2000 one day. I suspect that it may be too ‘dry’ for use in ‘drier’-writing pens.

The Smoky Quartz is a dark brown that I find to be even more pleasing than my Diamine ‘Chocolate Brown’.
Its performance is better (it is less-‘wet’, so less smudge-prone) than that of the Diamine ink.

Nice... I forgot about the time difference.  It's so strange.  We're both on the forum but it's a sunny 2:20 in the afternoon here and it's 8:20 in the evening where you are.

1 minute ago, USG said:

Nice... I forgot about the time difference.  It's so strange.  We're both on the forum but it's a sunny 2:20 in the afternoon here and it's 8:20 in the evening where you are.

Slight correction:
I’m in England; it is currently 1820 Hrs here - or 6.20pm in the ‘old money’ 😉

4 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Slight correction:
I’m in England; it is currently 1820 Hrs here - or 6.20pm in the ‘old money’ 😉

I thought we had a 6hr difference... apparently not.  I just looked at my world clock.  6 hours puts you in Cairo, lol

3 hours ago, Claes said:

Glossy Red Lamy Al-Star loaded with Lamy Blackberry:

sharper.jpg

Your Lamy Blackberry has the same gold sheen as my Diamine Bilberry.

What's the red ink?

1 hour ago, Claes said:

That's Diamine Bloody Absinth.

Thanks, good to know...👍😀 

Isn't that supposed to be a green ink?

Oh never mind, you were showing the sheens...

CluelessMe. 🤪  LOL

9 hours ago, Mercian said:

With my ‘Wicked Enabler’ hat firmly on

That pen looks like it might be a good candidate to use with Diamine ‘Apple Glory’ 😉

Lucky for the wicked witch enabler, I already have a 30ml bottle of that ink!

Posted Image

Today, brand new and just inked, a TWSBI Eco Dark Sapphire with an extra fine nib and Quink Blue. It writes OK, but extra fine, it isn't.

large.TWSBI_DarkSapphire_QuinkBlue.jpg.0dd648d2701f16db97fa67506d076465.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Montblanc 145. This pen started my small collection of MBs

image0 (1).jpeg

image0.jpeg

Really enjoying this Wing Sung 630 with the transparent barrel. Inked with Tsuki-yo.

IMG_20240319_003120115.jpg

I’m using the Retro 51/Fahrney’s Cherry Blossom 2023 FDR Museum pen with a 1.1mm stub nib filled with De Atramentis Franklin D. Roosevelt ink or Tungsten Purple. 

large.IMG_9974.jpeg.40cad9f2af5f68cfd6d1d32ced286dd0.jpeg

Posted Image

Today I've mostly used a Pilot Deluxe Diamond Cut, 18k fine nib with Diamine's Monaco Red ink. The photo doesn't really show how brightly the diamond cut shines.

20240319_180801.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Claes said:

That nib looks intertesting.

Flexible?

Nice and fine with a little bounce but sadly not flexible. Smooth enough but some feedback from the paper.