What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Today, after a long hiatus (a couple of years?) I will be using my Sheaffer Targa with a fine nib. I purchased this black pen, with matching pencil, in 1974. Although it is not my oldest pen, I have owned it longer than any other in my collection. It proudly shows its age: a repaired crack, a small dent in the metal body, and a nick at the top of the cap. It definitely will not win a beauty contest, but it trudges on. In keeping with tradition, I have filled an old cartridge with black Quink. The pencil will be along for the ride.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1930's Esterbrook Dollar with a 2556 nib. 

post-156106-0-79859000-1578003655.jpg

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

19 hours ago, Misfit said:

@inkstainedruth what is the color of your P1 Pelikan Twist? A friend got the swag for me, and mine is black with a red clip. 

Mine is turquoise with a pink clip, pink clutch ring and pink end on the barrel (looks like a blind cap but isn't).  (The guy who was the Hubmaster just had them all out on a table and people could pick whichever one they wanted, and the turquoise with the pink trim just sort of spoke to me.... :D)  Think it might be an F nib on the pen but don't remember for sure (it could very easily be an EF, the way it writes and I don't remember now whether I saved the packaging -- and if I did, where I stashed it....  

I was just using it a couple of days ago, still with Edelstein Star Ruby.  Meant to see if I could get a converter for it so I can put the one in the Twist back into the pen I borrowed it from -- one of the P22s -- or keep that converter in the Twist and install the replacement converters in whichever pen I borrowed it from last fall....   I guess I need to add that to the shopping list when I order another bottle or two of Namiki Black for my husband (nobody at B/W had it with them, although a couple of venders had Namiki Blue in bottles).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Back on topic.

Today, for journalling, it's been the Sheaffer Star Wars Pop "R2-D2" pen, M nib, still with vintage Skrip V-Mail Black (although apparently somehow the converter was loose, and I ended up dripping ink on my sweat pants and had to do an emergency load of laundry after Amodex-ing the snot out of the ink stains).  And then for dealing with bills and such, the Sailor 1911S Loch Ness Monster, MF nib, still with Sailor Souboku.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Mine is turquoise with a pink clip, pink clutch ring and pink end on the barrel (looks like a blind cap but isn't)

I’m jealous. Mine lacks the red end. It’s black, red clip, red clutch ring. 

I’ll be using the new Sailor Compass HighAce Neon with 1.0mm stub nib, filled with Faber-Castell Gulf Blue. 

Posted Image

On 3/8/2024 at 5:48 AM, RedPie said:

Yellow with orange... 😘 Let the weekend begin!

IMG_7135.JPG.fffa62756b09a9a08b8386bd16036027.JPG

That’s a very sunshiny pair. Have a great weekend. 

Posted Image

Sheaffer with M nib turned into soft stub by Mark Bacas.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, Baka1969 said:

large.20240304_165303.jpg.a699fd13a28cdfdd6779d64e503317d0.jpg

How do you like the Diplomat Aero?

3 minutes ago, N1003U said:

How do you like the Diplomat Aero?

It's a great pen. I really should use it more. I also like it as a fidget because the cap is nice and clicky. 

As a writer it's one of the better JoWo #6 nibs. Diplomat does a nice job of tuning their nibs inhouse. 

Plus it's a great looking pen.

n+1

23 minutes ago, Baka1969 said:

It's a great pen. I really should use it more. I also like it as a fidget because the cap is nice and clicky. 

As a writer it's one of the better JoWo #6 nibs. Diplomat does a nice job of tuning their nibs inhouse. 

Plus it's a great looking pen.

Yes, it is a good-looking pen. I am inching closer to adding one to my accumulation. Thanks for the endorsement!

1. Pelikan M200 Café Crème, B nib -- finishing a fill of Edelstein Topaz (it was so gloomy today that I needed a bright cheery color for doing morning pages).

2. Peter Pauper Press/Jane Mosse Designs "Falling Blossoms", F nib -- J Herbin Eclat de Saphir (finishing the last half page of the journal entry when the Café Crème ran out of ink).

3. Sailor 1911S "Loch Ness Monster", MF nib -- Sailor Souboku (for general notes and to address an envelope & write a check).

@ZeroDukE, you always take such great pictures! What a lovely nib your S.T. Dupont has, I love the way it wraps around the feed.

I inked up my new EF  Lamy 2000 with Diamine Purple Bow (sample graciously sent by @Lithium466). I tried to use a couple of other pens, but alas, they were dry after a few words or sentences: Hero 282, Amazon Basics F. 

I also prepared a couple of Jinhao 992 pens for @fireant to try tomorrow to see if she prefers for the nibs to stay an M or or if she would like me to stub them for the Hub. One has CX-02, a shimmering orange ink, and the other Private Reserve Iridescent Blue Silver. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

6 hours ago, ZeroDukE said:

large.IMG_3014.jpg.1ce39c13f6f13e7f1ef898172c2b32da.jpglarge.IMG_3015.jpg.f541255686d0a52be21dd5e96b4b3084.jpglarge.IMG_3016.jpg.ff6e7d99b67a68b4c19128d02ba1ae08.jpg

6 hours ago, ZeroDukE said:

large.IMG_3014.jpg.1ce39c13f6f13e7f1ef898172c2b32da.jpglarge.IMG_3015.jpg.f541255686d0a52be21dd5e96b4b3084.jpglarge.IMG_3016.jpg.ff6e7d99b67a68b4c19128d02ba1ae08.jpg

The Montparnasse pens are elegant. They are also scarce, enjoy your writing week.

6 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

The Montparnasse pens are elegant. They are also scarce, enjoy your writing week.

Thank you.  I love the design of this French pen. It's my favourite ST Dupont design.  I also have the black lacquer version, both M2, and another fountain pen like this one (godron gold) in M1 size, which is the thinner version.

Think Different

8 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

@ZeroDukE, you always take such great pictures! What a lovely nib your S.T. Dupont has, I love the way it wraps around the feed.

I inked up my new EF  Lamy 2000 with Diamine Purple Bow (sample graciously sent by @Lithium466). I tried to use a couple of other pens, but alas, they were dry after a few words or sentences: Hero 282, Amazon Basics F. 

I also prepared a couple of Jinhao 992 pens for @fireant to try tomorrow to see if she prefers for the nibs to stay an M or or if she would like me to stub them for the Hub. One has CX-02, a shimmering orange ink, and the other Private Reserve Iridescent Blue Silver. 

I hope you'll like Purple bow. Coincidentally, I have been writing with that same ink yesterday in a newly received Parker 45 Flighter (with a 14K M nib reground to F/EF), and it does sheen much more than I remembered!

I was trying to find the most lubricating purple in my collection, and Purple bow seemed like a good fit.

Also seriously what a lovely nib @ZeroDukE! It's like a Lamy Persona nib, but nicer.

3 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

I hope you'll like Purple bow. Coincidentally, I have been writing with that same ink yesterday in a newly received Parker 45 Flighter (with a 14K M nib reground to F/EF), and it does sheen much more than I remembered!

I was trying to find the most lubricating purple in my collection, and Purple bow seemed like a good fit.

Also seriously what a lovely nib @ZeroDukE! It's like a Lamy Persona nib, but nicer.

It’s absolutely gorgeous. I swatched it late last night and it was blurple when wet on Cosmo Snow. I haven’t checked on the swatches since I made them, so that’s going to be a surprise when I get back to my desk. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Using my red Esterbrook J and my "new" Parker 51 Vacumatic today.

image.thumb.jpeg.47ecb7073727e86ce42aa838e867851d.jpeg

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes
"Modern Life®️? It’s rubbish! 🙄" - Mercian