What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

On 2/20/2024 at 1:58 AM, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen was a Sailor Shikiori Yozakura filled with Iroshizuku Tsukushi. To my eye it's a pleasing pairing cos the pen is a brownish pink and the ink is a pinkish brown.

And chill time used a Jinhao 992 with a fude nib and Pilot Black.

large.IMG_20240220_144632_016.jpg.63e983a88c1dcb06532886c14d326f47.jpg

I was about to respond that the drawing didn't look like my adored Tsukushi!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@AmandaW and @essayfaire I went looking for Tsukushi. First I saw it was a discontinued ink. No hits in the search. Then I checked AliExpress, and found it in the small bottle. I was not sure if I wanted to purchase it. Walk away, decide later. Then I looked around, saw the True Writer Kyoto pen, which has dark browns and a touch of a purplish pink. And that was it. Hit complete purchase. I did see a review of it. Does it have a green sheen?

Posted Image

I don't remember it sheening, but it's been a long time since I tried it -- plus, my ink review/testing journals don't have the greatest paper.  

Also, I much prefer Yama-guri, which is more sepia toned.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

30 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Does it have a green sheen?

I haven't noticed that, but I do use it in a very fine pen which wouldn't show it off. (Edit: yes, I see it on a swatch. Subtle. Delicate.)

It is an unusual brown - with a soft pinkish look. I like it a lot. Especially for the Sailor Yozakura pen because that's not a clear pink, a slightly brown-pink. When I got the pen I tried so many inks looking for a colour that harmonised - all the pinks, peaches etc nope, nope, nope. Then tried the Tsukushi. I still only use that ink in that pen.

When they deleted it I ordered backup bottles cos running out would be a problem I wouldn't want to deal with.

large.IMG_20240223_083446_517.jpg.857b2c5d5f00f3619974693370cdb050.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Jinhao X159 (M)

Robert Oster Blue Water Ice

Cosmo Snow paper

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

IMG_5336900.jpg.7722e809cf2541ac559d3755150dd59e.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Today it's a Noodler's Ahab flex with Diamine's Onyx Black ink. I've forgotten what colour way this one is and it's no longer on Noodler's website. 

20240223_081011.jpeg

Today's journal pen is the Wing Sung 699 I was using to draw with Hero 234 carbon ink yesterday. It wasn't flowing very well, so I put the EF nib back in. Wrote lots of pages without a skip., so it wasn't the pen or ink. The #6 Jinhao fude 'fit' in the Wing Sung but that doesn't mean it fit the feed well enough to perform. (Couldn't swap the feed cos it didn't fit.)

large.WingSung699EF_Hero234.jpg.a4191656f4883d36bdebe723d622bf35.jpg

And drawing with a Narwhal Chronis fitted with a fude nib yanked out if a very uncomfy Moonman Q1. Ink is Taccia Sabimidori. Colour is Pitt pens.

large.Narwhal-TacciaSabimidori.jpg.d9d11c4b89d4ee6e6e4282d888d89228.jpg

So I'm back to square one looking for a well sealing pen, that will strip down easily (and has a nice big wet fude) for filling with lucious carbon ink. Don't want much, do I... LOL

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I used a True Writer white with M nib filled with Birmingham Pens’ Lunar Dust. 

Posted Image

On 2/22/2024 at 9:30 AM, pan101 said:

Today it's a Montblanc Meisterstuck No.12 with a broad/stub nib. Ink is an experimental mix of browns/oranges with glycerine and a photographic wetting agent additives.

20240221_082125.jpeg

Love these Montblanc pens from the 1960s. I really like the ink too. It look a bit like Diamine Burnt Sienna, which is one of my favourite inks

Faber-Castel E-Motion Pure Black/Diamine Oxblood

Lamy Safari (just black)/Akkerman KoninginneNach-Bleuw

2 hours ago, Nethermark said:

Love these Montblanc pens from the 1960s. I really like the ink too. It look a bit like Diamine Burnt Sienna, which is one of my favourite inks

Thanks Nethermark, I'm a fan of vintage pens in general but these older MBs are nice. The ink contains Diamine's Raw Sienna, I like the warmth and shading you get with orangey/brown inks.

I used my Jinhao 999. I dropped that heavy pen. I was able to catch it in mid air. The nib got stuck in my finger and left a black mark forever... I still am glad that I caught it. LOL 

On 2/22/2024 at 9:30 AM, pan101 said:

Today it's a Montblanc Meisterstuck No.12 with a broad/stub nib. Ink is an experimental mix of browns/oranges with glycerine and a photographic wetting agent additives.

20240221_082125.jpeg

20240221_084519.jpeg

Wetting agent to reduce surface tension i guess ? But what's the glycerine for ?

2 hours ago, Muchacho said:

Wetting agent to reduce surface tension i guess ? But what's the glycerine for ?

Experiment was for colour - orange and brown inks, glycerine for lubrication (smoothness) and wetting agent (wetness). My MB No12 is lovely once it starts to write but always dry starts and who doesn't want a smoother pen.

6 hours ago, RedPie said:

I used my Jinhao 999. I dropped that heavy pen. I was able to catch it in mid air. The nib got stuck in my finger and left a black mark forever... I still am glad that I caught it. LOL 

So did the nib stab your finger? And did it hurt?

Posted Image

It's been a blue and green pens day for me:

1. Peter Pauper Press "Falling Blossoms", M? nib -- J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir.

2. Parker Vector "Shrek Puss in Boots pen, M nib -- Robert Oster Bishop to King.

3. Sailor 1911S "Loch Ness Monster" LE, MF nib -- Sailor Souboku.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There have been no pens used so far today.

It's been a 'red pencil day' spent proofreading a very long document full of run-on sentences and grammatical errors. It was prepared by learned professionals who one would imagine could have, would have, and should have done better. 

I am tired.

I’m using the TWSBI Eco-T Rosso red in my log book. For tracking a game’s prizes, I’m using the True Writer Kyoto. 

Posted Image