• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Baka1969 said:

20231127_145035.thumb.jpg.a04433c1e874eaee1dc824f6c3ae0acd.jpg

Is that an M400 or M600?

9 hours ago, USG said:

That's quite a pen.   😀👍   How does it write?   What paper?

Do you find Ku-Jaku green or teal?

You will find the answer to your questions in my post in this forum called “Pen/Ink/Paper Trios.” There’s even a photo. 

Today’s pen so far has been Dad’s grey GT Parker 45 F Octanium with Pelikan Blue-Black. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

4 hours ago, N1003U said:

Is that an M400 or M600?

Good question.  It's an original M600.  It's the same size as the M400 but was introduced as a Special Edition of the M400 in the late 1980s/ early 1990s. I believe it was the first two-tone nib from the M400/M600 series. 

n+1

Broke out my old Waterman Phileas earlier this week and spent two days soaking the nib in warm water to get rid of the black ink. Running their Waterman blue ink and it writes as good as I remember it. Also have the matching mechanical pencil for it. Will have to clean out my other Watermans.

I rinsed the nib on a Kaweco Ice Sport red pen, and filled the squeeze converter by syringe with Diamine Blue Edition Ho Ho Ho. I got that pen before Super Bowl LIV, so it represents a win over San Francisco. I’m using it today in my log book. 

Posted Image

Today's journal pen was a Sheaffer No Nonsense M filled with Diamine Onyx. It's quite fine for a medium - I'm totally happy with that, cos I was mulling over what to do with a medium nib. Stub it? Is a nib this fine likely to make a good stub? I do have another...

large.IMG_20240210_203931_449.jpg.ef3213aa15ecb6b1da5ff38579584c90.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

15 hours ago, Baka1969 said:

Good question.  It's an original M600.  It's the same size as the M400 but was introduced as a Special Edition of the M400 in the late 1980s/ early 1990s. I believe it was the first two-tone nib from the M400/M600 series. 

Thank you for the clarification. It is a lovely pen. I have exactly one older (pre 1997) M400 in my collection, and I like it very much.

My Pelikan journey started in the late 1990s, just as what is known now as the M600 was being introduced, and I have added several to my flock over the years. I find the new M60x has the nice light weight and balance of the M40x/20x, but the slightly larger size works better in my hand.

Today, I am using my trusty daily driver, a post 2010, single chick M600 in classic green/transparent stripes (replacing slightly older the dual-chick model that went missing).

On 2/3/2024 at 10:52 PM, Baka1969 said:

large.20240203_144028.jpg.6fe8a2d7c8d120ce0ceebe8feee1193d.jpg

Even if I don't really need to know who they all are – recognise a few and you  posted on some more – this faceted silver one with uneven cross-stripes center right sets me curious. Never saw anything alike, except for a TWSBI Precision maybe ... so who is that?

31 minutes ago, zwiron said:

Even if I don't really need to know who they all are – recognise a few and you  posted on some more – this faceted silver one with uneven cross-stripes center right sets me curious. Never saw anything alike, except for a TWSBI Precision maybe ... so who is that?

Thanks. That one is the Caran D'Ache Ecridor. It's quite thin yet has a nice heft. It's not my favorite writer though.  

n+1

I used a Kaweco Sport Classic in red with a 1.1mm stub nib filled with Diamine Blue Edition Ho Ho Ho. I’ll know tomorrow if it represents a Chiefs win in the Super Bowl. 

Posted Image

On 2/10/2024 at 1:56 AM, Misfit said:

I rinsed the nib on a Kaweco Ice Sport red pen, and filled the squeeze converter by syringe with Diamine Blue Edition Ho Ho Ho. I got that pen before Super Bowl LIV, so it represents a win over San Francisco. I’m using it today in my log book. 

I wanted to run something by you....  I fill everything I can with a syringe or eye dropper.  I unscrew the nibs on my piston fillers and fill that way... So I was wondering, for pens that don't change ink often, if there's any advantage of filling through the nib because it flushes out the feed by moving the ink from the nib into the barrel instead of the other way around.  Just a thought.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

2 hours ago, USG said:

I wanted to run something by you....  I fill everything I can with a syringe or eye dropper.  I unscrew the nibs on my piston fillers and fill that way... So I was wondering, for pens that don't change ink often, if there's any advantage of filling through the nib because it flushes out the feed by moving the ink from the nib into the barrel instead of the other way around.  Just a thought.

I fill most pens through the nib. The exceptions are when I want to reuse a cartridge, and with recessed nibs. My Kaweco had a different ink in it, and the converter was empty. There was likely some of the former ink left, since I didn’t clean the pen. 

Posted Image

7 hours ago, USG said:

I could be wrong, but I think filling through the nib means that a greater volume of ink passes through the feed in a much shorter period. That suggests to me that there would be some 'cleaning' or flushing effect. 

1 hour ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I could be wrong, but I think filling through the nib means that a greater volume of ink passes through the feed in a much shorter period. That suggests to me that there would be some 'cleaning' or flushing effect. 

My thoughts would be similar.

In addition, filling through the nib would also mean that any paper dust contaminants that were on the nib are flushed into the ink container - even if the amount is minuscule.

The are pros and cons to both sides of the action.

Just my two cents worth...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

3 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

My thoughts would be similar.

In addition, filling through the nib would also mean that any paper dust contaminants that were on the nib are flushed into the ink container - even if the amount is minuscule.

The are pros and cons to both sides of the action.

Just my two cents worth...

Flushing the converter through the nib (as I commonly do) would flush out any detritus lingering in the converter, feed, or nib.

12 hours ago, USG said:

The general consensus is that filling (and flushing) through the nib does improve the effectiveness of cleaning, because it ‘attacks’ any sediment/gunk in/from two directions instead of just one, and so is more-likely to dislodge it.

If I recall correctly, it is @Ron Z’s recommended filling method.

That said, do look at what Gloucesterman wrote above (although one could minimise the chances of that happening by placing the nib in running water prior to re-filling).

I’d add that filling one’s pen through the nib removes the prospect of causing unnecessary/accidental wear-&-tear when constantly unscrewing and re-screwing the nib/feed unit.
Of course, you may have no need to fear that occurring, but I am a Weapons-grade scapegrace klutz, and so am somewhat wary of undertaking any more dis-/re-assembly than is really necessary 😉

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png