What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Then... uh oh... Inky fingers. Close examination with a microscope shows a very fine crack running from the top of the section towards the nib. :sad:

Coincidentally, today I discovered section cracks on a pink Sailor Chalana I just recently received. Honestly, I bought it only to flip it.

But it didn't turn out all bad. The seller refunded me immediately and told me to keep it, as well as an ITO mechanical pencil (Does anyone know the ITO brand? It seems pretty nice ...) she sent along with the Chalana, for free. I already had a Chalana in a 'flighter' type finish that is fairly boring IMHO, so I exchanged its (black) section with the cracked pink one.

So now I am happy to have my itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, pinky-winky fountain pen! (Tempted to add yellow polka dots to it ... but nah ...) Eminently impractical pen - a well-made novelty IMHO - but it does have a nice EF nib. I'm glad to have one - but no more than one - Chalana.

spacer.png

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nakaya kuro tamenuri decapod flex fine from john mottishaw.  platinum blue black

This just in

large.20240206_125753_kindlephoto-1031643090.jpg.07b921dae6d8075aa819cc3ddde147c3.jpglarge.20240206_125853_kindlephoto-1031698821.jpg.7af8a5e97474de34befc8202ef0b2c55.jpg

Montblanc Great Characters Homage to JFK Special Edition in Bordeaux

n+1

12 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

The seller refunded me immediately and told me to keep it

My seller has replied asking if I want to send it back for a refund or, if I am a collector, keep it for a partial refund. 

I don't know what to do. Keep it as an ornament? (To remind myself why vintage is probably a bad idea for me...)

Very disappointed cos I really wanted a pen with an inlaid nib.

large.IMG_20240207_083812_302.jpg.3bbac49e59def6d692f1fc12abc008cb.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I opted to use the Monteverde Prima red swirl pen using a cartridge of Monteverde red.  When I ordered it, is was supposed to be red black ink.

Posted Image

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

My seller has replied asking if I want to send it back for a refund or, if I am a collector, keep it for a partial refund. 

I don't know what to do. Keep it as an ornament? (To remind myself why vintage is probably a bad idea for me...)

Send it back. Another will come along, no doubt. (In fact I probably have some better vintage Sheaffers with inlaid nibs that are not being used. I'll send a PM after I have had a look at what I have.) 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

I’m using my Namiki Nippon Art Collection Origami Penguin F today for the first time. I inked it with Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

IMG_0705.jpg

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

On 2/6/2024 at 10:40 AM, pan101 said:

Today's pen is a Wahl Eversharp Skyline in burgundy with a gold cap. Ink is Diamine Holly, love a green ink, even better with a red sheen.

20240206_103112.jpeg

I have a similar one with a green striped cap. The nib is sublime. 

iPad, Midori passport and MD notebook, Quo Vadis Habana, Watson-Guptill sketchbook

Today's pen is a £10 Jinhao 80 with ultra fine nib and a Diamine Pure Pens exclusive ink, "The Six Points of the People's Charter". Dark burgundy/red with a greenish sheen, though hard to see in this photo and with a fine nib.

The pen writes surprisingly smoothly for such a cheap price with a fine nib. Has a bit of a Lamy 2000 look to it too.

20240207_150034.jpeg

1 hour ago, dudleian said:

I have a similar one with a green striped cap. The nib is sublime. 

I think I have the same pen but with a medium teardrop nib. I love the streamline Art Deco look of Skylines.

13 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Oh, that's sad.  It's happened to me, more than once, even with my own older pens.  Most recent, a Sheaffer school pen with a similar crack and a 'Why are my fingers GREEEEEN' moment. My new rule: get the loupe before loading!

Best-o-luck going forward.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

12 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Send it back. Another will come along, no doubt. (In fact I probably have some better vintage Sheaffers with inlaid nibs that are not being used. I'll send a PM after I have had a look at what I have.) 

I agree with PithyProlix!

It’s horrible that your pen is cracked, but if the seller will refund you, send it back.

Another one will show up eventually.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

One man’s opinion:  send it back for a refund.  Send me $5 and your address and I’ll send you no fewer than 2 broken pens.

Last night I filed my True Writer Classic in Turquoise (M) and my Pelikan M600 old style (18k OB). So far today I have been using the M600. I filled with Levenger Cobalt Blue this time. The True Writer got Birmingham Ohio River. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

4 hours ago, pan101 said:

Today's pen is a £10 Jinhao 80 with ultra fine nib and a Diamine Cult Pens exclusive ink, "The Six Points of the People's Charter". Dark burgundy/red with a greenish sheen, though hard to see in this photo and with a fine nib.

The pen writes surprisingly smoothly for such a cheap price with a fine nib. Has a bit of a Lamy 2000 look to it too.

20240207_150034.jpeg

Correction it's a Pure Pens exclusive ink, not a Cult Pens ink, I was looking at Cult Pens exclusive Diamine inks today and had it on my mind when I posted, sorry.

Today it's been the new Peter Pauper Press pen I got over the weekend.  Inaugural fill was J Herbin Eclat de Saphir.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My daily workhorse is my Imperial Blue Lamy Studio with 14k EF nib filled with Baystate Blue. 

large.20240207_170858.jpg.65c3518694016701b1ffe4828a557283.jpglarge.20240207_170115.jpg.8ee921f65c5e8846d2ad80bd43436bbc.jpg

n+1