• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today will be the purple Opus 88 Picnic pen with 1.4mm stub nib. It has J Herbin Poussiere de Lune ink in it. 

Posted Image

Today it's been the newly (as of last night) re-inked Lady Sheaffer 620, M nib -- still with modern Skrip Blue.  Unfortunately, I still have dregs of the fill process on my thumbs (not entirely sure how it happened) because the new jar of Ink Zap seems to be a different formula from that of the old jar and it does NOT seem to work as well.  So my hands look as if I just got fingerprinted -- ONLY my thumbs.... :wacko:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today I've been using my Snorkel, M5 nib, and my LAMY 2000, M nib. I filled my snorkel yesterday and forgot it has a bit of baby's bottom. It generally works fine but sometimes takes a firm tap on the page to get going again if it's left for more than maybe 15 seconds uncapped. So I'll have to get that fixed and I'd like to make my 2000 wetter, it seems that after I had to realign and smooth the nib it writes quite dry.

On 1/19/2024 at 4:43 PM, Baka1969 said:

large.20240119_154843.jpg.559e824c689c9db0467e090aa4056961.jpg

large.20240119_155532.jpg.f67069e805fda1df0ce38e77f85176b8.jpg

@Baka1969 3 Mini Reviews... nice.  A lot of information.  😀👍

I'm curious about the Nitrogen.  I have a sample somewhere that I'm going to look for.  I thought it was darker.  Is the color in the pic accurate?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

On 1/19/2024 at 11:16 PM, landonitron said:

Today I've been using my Snorkel, M5 nib, and my LAMY 2000, M nib. I filled my snorkel yesterday and forgot it has a bit of baby's bottom. It generally works fine but sometimes takes a firm tap on the page to get going again if it's left for more than maybe 15 seconds uncapped. So I'll have to get that fixed and I'd like to make my 2000 wetter, it seems that after I had to realign and smooth the nib it writes quite dry.

Hi LDT

What ink do you have in your snorkel?

Today I used the last Opus 88 Picnic pen in green that has a 1.4mm stub nib filled with Sailor Manyo Ayame.  

Posted Image

1 hour ago, USG said:

@Baka1969 3 Mini Reviews... nice.  A lot of information.  😀👍

I'm curious about the Nitrogen.  I have a sample somewhere that I'm going to look for.  I thought it was darker.  Is the color in the pic accurate?

Thanks.

I'd say it's fairly color accurate. I just wish it were water resistant. 

n+1

large.Close-upofcapontheSailorShikioriTsukuyo-no-minamoShimoyopen.jpg.ef16e71c3e5c72be48f96205bae3bbe7.jpg

Writing samples:

large.SailorShikioriTNMShimoyowritingsamplesoverview.jpg.56dda1c0b852d7cf88307561d62489cd.jpg  large.SailorShikioriTNMShimoyowritingsampleonExacomptaFAF70gsm.jpg.caec5fc0ff9d34bb92ded783ccefb706.jpg  large.SailorShikioriTNMShimoyowritingsampleonRhodiadotPad80gsm.jpg.031b9c3432fdf213e3ef4dbf820019fd.jpg

The choice of paper made a helluva difference!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A very useable Dark Brown. Water resistant too.

20240121_190313.thumb.jpg.3176614e59b5bcc11ff9d9001ccab305.jpg

Lamy Nexx Anthracite with a fine nib and Van Dieman's Oak Wood. It's an interesting ink - dark brown with a muted red undertone - won't be able to capture it with a photo sadly.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

14 hours ago, USG said:

Hi LDT

What ink do you have in your snorkel?

My favorite black ink, Aurora Black. The generous flow helps with the baby's bottom, which actually isn't as bad as I thought. What I actually forgot about the pen is how long I have to hold the snorkel in the bottle to get a decent fill.

Today starts a week of Levenger True Writers. First up is the Oceanic Gray filled with Faber-Castell Garnet. I needed a red ink since it’s a Chiefs playoff game day. I’m watching that now, and KC just scored. 

It’s going to be hard with no stub or italic nibs among the True Writers. I’ll have to write elsewhere with one of my favorite nibs. 

Edit: I looked at the Oceanic Gray pen under the iPhone flashlight. I saw much more extra colors in it than I had under normal light. It has mostly white, gray, black, and hints of blue, red, orange, maybe pink as it is moved around under the light. So glad I got this pen. 

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

52 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Today starts a week of Levenger True Writers. First up is the Oceanic Gray filled with Faber-Castell Garnet. I needed a red ink since it’s a Chiefs playoff game day. I’m watching that now, and KC just scored. 

It’s going to be hard with no stub or italic nibs among the True Writers. I’ll have to write elsewhere with one of my favorite nibs. 

don't know how you'll manage without the stubs or italics...I couldn't!

@Puddinhead maybe the week of True Writers will get interrupted. Glad to know you as a stub and italic nib fan too. 

At least the red ink was appropriate as the Chiefs won. 

Posted Image

I just stubbed about 20 pens for the Pelikan Hub, all tested with Waterman Serenity Blue. I am currently perplexed by an international cartridge that was supposed to be black, looks black in the clear cartridge, paper towel, and a glass cup, but writes like a murky green in a blue EF Schneider BK406. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

12 hours ago, landonitron said:

My favorite black ink, Aurora Black. The generous flow helps with the baby's bottom, which actually isn't as bad as I thought. What I actually forgot about the pen is how long I have to hold the snorkel in the bottle to get a decent fill.

Aurora Black is my favorite black ink too.  😀👍

5 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I just stubbed about 20 pens for the Pelikan Hub, all tested with Waterman Serenity Blue. I am currently perplexed by an international cartridge that was supposed to be black, looks black in the clear cartridge, paper towel, and a glass cup, but writes like a murky green in a blue EF Schneider BK406. 

You're impressively amazing PGC 👍😀

Do you remove all the tipping material or are you able to salvage some of it?

4 hours ago, Misfit said:

@Penguincollector you are so amazing at turning nibs to stub nibs. You are a mini nib meister. 

+1 for the Mini Meister term....  what a great name... 😁

13 hours ago, USG said:

Do you remove all the tipping material or are you able to salvage some of it?

I remove it all. The width wanted for the pens is bigger than the ball of tipping. 

18 hours ago, Misfit said:

@Penguincollector you are so amazing at turning nibs to stub nibs. You are a mini nib meister. 

Thank you! That’s really nice of you to say, but at this point it’s the only thing I can do nib wise, so really I am a nib apprentice. I do enjoy it and am willing to learn more. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery