• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Much appreciated, @ZeroDukE, @ak47

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Asvine P36 with Scribe Indigo ink.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Esterbrook Estiie with custom Gena Salorino Journal nib. 

large.20240112_164501.jpg.9808957204f72b3dfcfd9eeef0a95eac.jpg

n+1

Classic HERO 100 GT metal barrel MF nib with fixed filler, manufactured by Shanghai HERO in 2016 (not made by Lishui HERO). 

Black HERO ink that came with the box.

It is possible to start and finish with extra-fine lines and is great for writing Kanji characters.

On the downside, the machining accuracy of the exterior is different from the HERO 100 of the last century.

I have my Blue Waterman Medium point inked in Herbin Larmes De Cassis. Got it at a Stationer's that closed long ago.  

After I reground this nib some more to make it less scratchy when pressing down as if to ‘flex’…

large.WritingsamplewithStipulaV-FlexnibafterIregrounditsomemore.jpg.6fd5ab719609fc2308c387f55531ca81.jpg

Now it's more like an F nib with variable wetness.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

WoW  A Smug Dill ! Awesome ink and great looking and performing pen! small pen envy and love your writing.

@AkitaMom Thanks!

It's not a pen model, or brand, that I'm inclined to recommend to friend or foe alike at this point, given how terrible the nib's grind was, out-of-the-box, which served to reinforce my distrust in Italian pen makers' ability to grind nibs competently and with consistency.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@Baka1969 That pen is WOWzerly gorgeous !! wow 😍! I am sure it looks even better in real.
I am not impressed by Esterbrook estie pricing but there is no doubt my Lilac is a beauty.

@A Smug Dill That pen looks like it has a WIDE girth. I am surprised you are gonna keep it after all the "handling" you need to give it to have it writes properly.

12 minutes ago, Particular_Song3539 said:

That pen looks like it has a WIDE girth.

It isn't that thick; and a concave grip section makes it easier (for me) to handle in actual writing, whereas a straight or (worse!) convex/bulging grip section, e.g. on the Cross Peerless 125, would interfere with my control of the pen.

A bigger issue — for some other users, conceivably, though luckily not as badly for me — is that the glossy metal grip section is slippery. I'm not a fan of such a ‘feature’ myself; and I can imagine that it's a problem for users who use a ‘traditional’ or dynamic tripod grip. However, since I use a lateral tripod grip, my thumb kinda straps the pen in place by the (not very sharp) thread on the metal section, which then gives me a firm enough hold.

This pen has a weird weight balance/distribution when used without posting the cap (which is how I normally use my pens), but is probably close to unusable with the cap posted, with double the amount of metal adding to the weight at the back-end. The grip section and the piston mechanism kinda balances out the weight along the stem of the barrel, but the middle part is relatively featherweight, even when filled with ink. So, imagine trying to balance a bamboo chopstick with a jian-dui (煎堆) stuck on each end. It sorta works, but with any lapse of concentration you can lose control of the whole damn thing and let it topple or slip out of your grip.

@Penguincollector I’m so sorry for the loss of your Dad. I know exactly how this feels, and it’s wretched. I felt so adrift when my Dad died. I wish you well, as it’s not easy to say goodbye at funerals. But don’t say goodbye. I’m not ashamed to say I still talk to my Dad. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Particular_Song3539 said:

@Baka1969 That pen is WOWzerly gorgeous !! wow 😍! I am sure it looks even better in real.
I am not impressed by Esterbrook estie pricing but there is no doubt my Lilac is a beauty.

It was a very difficult choice between this Rainforest and the Sea Glass. Both look amazing in person. Extremely eye catching. I had to mentally flip a coin. 

n+1

@Baka1969 haha I could almost see the mental coin flip happened! Both choices would be a great one , but I feel the sea glass leans slightly on the artsy side. 

5 minutes ago, Particular_Song3539 said:

@Baka1969 haha I could almost see the mental coin flip happened! Both choices would be a great one , but I feel the sea glass leans slightly on the artsy side. 

It's funny you mentioned that. Someone at Esterbrook today mentioned that until recently their pen's colorways were appealing more towards women and they were making an additional effort to make future pens in more masculine colors and designs to help broaden their scope. I guess many guys still prefer a solid black or solid colored pen? Don't get me wrong, I have my share of classic black pens. Yet I also enjoy a wide variety of designs and colors.  

n+1

@Baka1969 actually when I was typing, I was gonna use the wording "feminine " but then I realized how it could sound gender discriminative because, me as a female, over 80% of my FP are in black or darker colors.  Nothing wrong for a man or any gender to love the sea glass colorway and use it ! :D 

Anyway, double cheers for your beautiful pen with a perfect nib grinded ! 

1 minute ago, Particular_Song3539 said:

@Baka1969 actually when I was typing, I was gonna use the wording "feminine " but then I realized how it could sound gender discriminative because, me as a female, over 80% of my FP are in black or darker colors.  Nothing wrong for a man or any gender to love the sea glass colorway and use it ! :D 

Anyway, double cheers for your beautiful pen with a perfect nib grinded ! 

I'm a guy and ...

large.20240112_234809.jpg.2089ad658d7cb1f2d56e2361dbe3b543.jpg

Ended up with all of these purples and pinks. Who's to say what colors or pens will appeal to whom? lol 

Although I will say the Jinhao 82 is for a future gift for someone that might need one for an occasion. The others are pens I enjoy for one reason or another. 

n+1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:29 PM, Misfit said:

A Lamy Studio Dark Brown with a 1.1mm italic nib filled with Kaweco Caramel Brown. 

large.IMG_0403.jpeg.b5fa95a52c05abe4eb7d62b026cc3860.jpeg

Hi MzFit

I wanted to comment...  I always like your mini-reviews. 😀👍   Stately pen and one of my favorite nibs. 👍   Good ink choice.  What paper are you writing on?

On 1/11/2024 at 11:50 AM, Andy1883 said:

Parker Duofold

IMG_0676.jpg

Hi Andy, sorry I'm playing catch up...  That's a Nice Parker Duofold. 👍😀  What year is it?   And what paper are you writing on?

17 hours ago, ZeroDukE said:

large.IMG_2978.jpg.2d090bcefe413f09324e601eb0299e3c.jpglarge.IMG_2980.jpg.3548cb26712ead4ced75558276ee15ed.jpglarge.IMG_2982.jpg.1cad162269b5c43f03efa0ea7109f644.jpg

Today I'm using my favourite wooden fountain pen, the Omas Cristoforo Colombo II, a Paragon-sized Omas in briar wood.

Hey ZD, of course it's an OMAS !!! 👍😀   If only I could take pictures like you !  😲

12 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I’m using my father’s grey GT Parker 45 F Octanium today, inked with Pelikan Blue-Black. It’s the first pen he bought when he was exiled to the US in ‘63, and that he gifted me when I was allowed to use a pen in school. He had stopped using fountain pens daily by then, preferring Jotters or Cross gold filled ballpoints. When he gave it to me in the ‘80s, he still had an unopened pack of Parker/Eversharp cartridges and a bottle of Quink BB. He passed away yesterday at 91.  He nurtured my love of pens and paper and birds. May he rest in peace. 

All goes out to you PGC.... So sorry

5 hours ago, Baka1969 said:

Esterbrook Estiie with custom Gena Salorino Journal nib. 

large.20240112_164501.jpg.9808957204f72b3dfcfd9eeef0a95eac.jpg

Hi Baka

Cool Estie with a custom nib.👍😃  Could you comment a bit on the nib?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

3 minutes ago, USG said:

Hi MzFit

I wanted to comment...  I always like your mini-reviews. 😀👍   Stately pen and one of my favorite nibs. 👍   Good ink choice.  What paper are you writing on?

Hi Andy, sorry I'm playing catch up...  That's a Nice Parker Duofold. 👍😀  What year is it?   And what paper are you writing on?

Hey ZD, of course it's an OMAS !!! 👍😀   If only I could take pictures like you !  😲

All goes out to you PGC.... So sorry

Hi Baka

Cool Estie with a custom nib.👍😃  Could you comment a bit on the nib?

Thanks. The nib is like a mini stub that's been smoothed out. It adds just enough line variation to add a bit of flair to your writing without being too scratchy. 

n+1