• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@inkstainedruth get some. Amazing little pens that are super easy to use as the ink flow actually keeps up with the mega nibs, even the 6mm. Also both cheap and super easy to take apart and clean. Great for problematic inks, like the shimmery ones. Supposedly you can also use them as an eye dropper pen, but haven’t tried that yet.

@DilettanteG Hah!

My husband is a software engineer, but just not a Mac guy.  

He uses the the Vanishing Point I gave him to write code and take notes at zoom meetings for his current job, and (since he's misplaced the blue Safari he wanted me to get him last spring when I was getting the Lilac al-Star SE, he's currently borrowing the blue Snorkel, currently inked up with Namiki Blue (which he's now decided he likes even better than Namiki Black).  I may get him a blue VP for his birthday, so I can wrest possession of the Snorkel out of hands....  

He was saying the other day that he writes the notes in one color and then does changes to the code/corrections in the other.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@inkstainedruth cool! My husband hates writing by hand and, against all odds, his hand writing actually gets worse every year. Whenever he needs a pen and I try to hand him a Fountain pen he says, “No, a real pen.” So, atleast he keeps his hands off my precious collection. He also doesn’t like coffee, despite my perfect, fancy,  home made espresso drinks. Amazingly, we’re still happily married.

1 minute ago, DilettanteG said:

@inkstainedruth get some. Amazing little pens that are super easy to use as the ink flow actually keeps up with the mega nibs, even the 6mm. Also both cheap and super easy to take apart and clean. Great for problematic inks, like the shimmery ones. Supposedly you can also use them as an eye dropper pen, but haven’t tried that yet.

Interestingly enough, last summer at a 4th of July party, I was talking to a friend who does calligraphy and illumination and she was picking my brain about good cheap pens to point newbies at, and was asking me about stuff like Platinum Preppies.  And I showed her my Pilot Metropolitans (one of which has the italic nib on it).  And then also showed her the (of course way more expensive) Decimo with the italic nib.

One of my concerns about the Parallel pens is that the ink for them is designed specifically so you can blend the colors and such -- but as a result those inks have a very different consistency than other Pilot inks.  And I don't know how those inks (particularly the Iroshizuku line) would behave in a a Parallel.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@inkstainedruth Has behaved like a trooper with everything I’ve fed it. My only complaint is that I’m not a fan of converters, especially the new Pilot con-40. Ugh.

Hence my collection of Pelikan M2xxs Demos with fancy italic nibs. Plus, they’re so pretty.

Yeah, I really like my piston fillers.  

48 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Interestingly enough, last summer at a 4th of July party, I was talking to a friend who does calligraphy and illumination and she was picking my brain about good cheap pens to point newbies at, and was asking me about stuff like Platinum Preppies.  And I showed her my Pilot Metropolitans (one of which has the italic nib on it).  And then also showed her the (of course way more expensive) Decimo with the italic nib.

One of my concerns about the Parallel pens is that the ink for them is designed specifically so you can blend the colors and such -- but as a result those inks have a very different consistency than other Pilot inks.  And I don't know how those inks (particularly the Iroshizuku line) would behave in a a Parallel.

have used all kinds of inks with my parallel pens and never had an issue with the nibs, feeds or pens in general. I have also used the various colors of Pilot "parallel" inks in other Pilot pens with good results.

Of course, YMMV and mine has not.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

3 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

@Baka1969 cool tech toys is one of the perks of marrying a programmer who is also an Apple developer. Of course, I also just got a 5 minute mini lecture on taking VR video on the new iPhone 15. No, I didn’t ask.

🤣

n+1

16 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

have used all kinds of inks with my parallel pens and never had an issue with the nibs, feeds or pens in general. 

Of course, YMMV and mine has not.

I have not tried all of my other inks but was going to try shimmer inks and see how it worked out. Good to hear that I can do so without reserve.

What is YMMV?

Your Mileage May Vary.  Basically, what works for me may not for you.

Using my Montblanc Meisterstuck again today, though my Parker 61 is inked up and a better writing experience, in my opinion.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes
"Modern Life®️? It’s rubbish! 🙄" - Mercian

14 minutes ago, Stompie said:

What is YMMV?

Your Mileage may Vary

A motoring term on fuel consumption saying that your experience may differ from the advertised manufacturers figures

45 minutes ago, Stompie said:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/profile/138143-checklist/ https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/profile/10696-beechwood/

Thank you! 

So, if you have an electric car would it be Your Voltage May vary then YVMV?

For electric cars it is WLTP

WLTP | Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure

1 hour ago, Stompie said:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/profile/138143-checklist/ https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/profile/10696-beechwood/

Thank you! 

So, if you have an electric car would it be Your Voltage May vary then YVMV?

Could be!

Either way, it might be shocking when it comes to pulling the plug.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

26 minutes ago, Beechwood said:

For electric cars it is WLTP

WLTP | Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure

When I was in grad school, the statistics professor started the class with a quote (source of which I don't recall),

Remember,

there are lies,

Damn lies,

And statistics...

Keep in mind that the "average" income in the U.S. includes Jeff Bezos at multiple billions and the person that makes zero dollars. If you averaged one of each, the income would be multiple billions...

42 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

When I was in grad school, the statistics professor started the class with a quote (source of which I don't recall),

Remember,

there are lies,

Damn lies,

And statistics...

Keep in mind that the "average" income in the U.S. includes Jeff Bezos at multiple billions and the person that makes zero dollars. If you averaged one of each, the income would be multiple billions...

That came from Mark Twain.

the Danitrio Fellowship