What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Using a newly received Conklin Endura Deco Crestblue with rose gold filigree and an Omni-flex nib and Faber Castell brown ink. It writes quite nicely. No it's not big on flex and it is brand new so I will give it time and usage to get a little more flexible. It is simply a nice writing and a very nice looking pen.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A photo of all the pens I have inked right now. From left to right - 

Kanwrite Desire Medium

2x Pilot Metropolitan Medium

Unknown Parker with a plastic body and a nib of unknown width (similar to Pilot Medium)

Parker Vector Metallix, with a massive leaking issue. I really do not know why, but the entire grip is covered with ink. I have not touched this pen in over a month due to this problem.

InkedDSC00692_LI - Copy.jpg

High school student with a fledgling fountain pen passion.

5 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen is a newly arrived old Pilot Lady with a fine nib.

I second @Chi: Very nice pen, @AmandaW! Thank you for sharing. The second photo added a very nice angle and also clarified for me the imprint on the cap and barrel. 

Could you please share more photos of it? I have several models that look similar but are still different, and none in this color. I'm making a catalog (informal, but plan to share when I get to like it). I would be interested in:

1. a photo of the nib, zoomed in - just to check if it's different from the standard Pilot fingenail nib
  2. a photo of the clip, from above - just to check the type, which I guessed at from the first photo you shared
  3. a photo of the finial on the cap - just to check if there is any logo or etching, which would be unusual

Thank you. 

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Detailed the request. With thanks.

15 minutes ago, br549 said:

A navy gray Parker 51 from 1949 and a burgundy Sheaffer Sentinel from about 1950, maybe late 1949.

@br549, both of these are very nice! Would you be able to share some photos? Thank you. 

Sailor 1911 14k hf and Lamy Imporium m nib. Waiting for silicon grease to arrive in order to eyedropper a Kaweco Sport Broad.

Two performed dutifully today.  Conway Stewart series 58 -- the same one that barfed ink earlier in the week the then coming weather change.  Onoto Magna.

Speaking of Onotos, I have two and contemplate getting at least another.  They are such nice pens to use.

Today I flip flopped between my Opus 88 Jazz Holiday and Opus 88 Koloro Blue.   Having used the Koloro for a few days, I find it odd they used ebonite on the cap and finial but not on the section where you hold it where ebonite would have the most benefit.   

"Life is too short to use boring ink!" - JPMH

3 hours ago, HauntedMyst said:

I find it odd they used ebonite on the cap and finial but not on the section where you hold it where ebonite would have the most benefit.

Its primary selling point is being a fancy Japanese eyedropper with a large ink capacity, and it seems some vocal minority of fans of such think being able to see the ink “slosh around” inside the barrel, beyond just having an ink window to see when the remaining ink level was low, is significant value-add. Whereas the hand-feel of ebonite is not nearly as big a deal; it seems many in the hobby embrace the idea of ebonite being a more premium pen body material to resin, without a distinct personal preference developed from actual handling.

So it doesn't seem strange at all that the manufacturer would choose the “best of both worlds” — present some ebonite parts to make some shoppers thinks the pen model is more premium because of that, while still offering the benefit of the see-through barrel. How it actually feels to hold the pen is not nearly as important a selling point in the market; where that matters would be shape, girth, weight balance and all that, well ahead of the touch of ebonite to skin.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Santini Libra Lord, 0.5 CI, extra flexy nib. Robert Oster Bronze, diluted 5:4

Add lightness and simplicate.

2 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Here's the current crew, four Pilots nibs and two Kaweco.

1170779152_IMG_20220305_1226568272.thumb.jpg.9d1fdafc27baaec7b2de635705bf7ff3.jpg

Very nice crew, @ethernautrix! Plus the Falcon is red.

(An ensso Piuma Ti may complement nicely the Kaweco Supra.) 

Going new school today

Opus 88 Demonstrators fitted with Pilot Parallel nibs

131644474_Opus88s.jpg.92e1d88fdc7c6de1444f1243e35b6739.jpg

David

1 minute ago, dms525 said:

Going new school today

Opus 88 Demonstrators fitted with Pilot Parallel nibs

131644474_Opus88s.jpg.92e1d88fdc7c6de1444f1243e35b6739.jpg

David

How on earth did you do that?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY