What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

4 hours ago, Chi said:

Platinum Cherrywood Pocket fountain pen

Wow wow wow! 😍

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Chi said:

Platinum Cherrywood Pocket fountain pen with Pilot Iroshizuku yama-guri

Nice. 👍

Penol Duofold Jr. 

The dog got to this one.... 

Literally shattered and one piece is missing. 

It writes so well though that I crudely glued it back together to keep it useable. 

One day, I'll move the nib over to a more intact body. 

penol.jpg

9 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Lovely pen. 😄 (I bid at some point an arm and a leg for one, so I believI am curious about both the wood body and the specific type of nib. How does this pen feel in hand? How does it write? 

I have wanted this one for some years. Luckily, the pen shop in Taipei is always on the look out for me. They sent me photo right away when one showed up.

The body weights about the same as the usual model. But the connection between section and the end barrel is a little different. Mine is the earlier model, so the connecting ring is attached at the end barrel side instead of the section. It makes putting in cartridge a bit tricky, since there is nothing to guide it. 

I believe the nib is the same as all Platinum 18K at the time. A little more springy than Fine and the line is not much thicker. That’s why I prefer Medium nibs on my pocket pens. 

9 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Wow wow wow! 😍

That was my reaction exactly when my dealer sent the photo. Very happy day.

Please check out my shop on Etsy - Sleepy Turandot

1 hour ago, mehandiratta said:

Using the custom Buck Eye Burl Wood Pen by Fosfor Pens 

No photo description available.

Beautiful pen! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

14 minutes ago, Chi said:

I have wanted this one for some years. Luckily, the pen shop in Taipei is always on the look out for me. They sent me photo right away when one showed up.

(I'm too new to this for my opinion to really matter, but...)

I think you have the nicest and possibly the rarest version of this pen: the grip has an inlaid golden element (a zogan) and overall the pen looks flawless. But I've seen only two others: one in Richard Binder's book (or article) and one on eBay (among a few hundreds ads I've checked). 

May it write well and bring you enjoy it for a long, long time! 😄

1 hour ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

(I'm too new to this for my opinion to really matter, but...)

I think you have the nicest and possibly the rarest version of this pen: the grip has an inlaid golden element (a zogan) and overall the pen looks flawless. But I've seen only two others: one in Richard Binder's book (or article) and one on eBay (among a few hundreds ads I've checked). 

May it write well and bring you enjoy it for a long, long time! 😄

I love it! I have tried so many brown ink samples to find one matching this pen the best. With time, my hand probably would polish it and make it shine : ) 

I know this pen is definitely listed on Fountain Pen of Japan. Also I saw this Blog post (it’s written in Mandarin.) The Cherry wood body is hard to keep. Quite a few I have seen were cracked. : / 

57 minutes ago, Chi said:

Also I saw this Blog post (it’s written in Mandarin.)

Very interesting, it says there are two versions of the wooden pen and also that, to my surprise, "Each cherry wood barrel is handcrafted". Luxury indeed! 

Off-topic: I used Google Translate to get this [1]. I do not know how to use Deepl to translate a full page; in Google Translate, I just copy-paste the URL (or, in the browser, click translate on a translate option, which works both in Chrome and in Opera). If anyone knows how to use Deepl easily, please let me know. 

[1] https://pocketpens-wordpress-com.translate.goog/2017/06/23/platinum-cherry-櫻桃木桿-14k尖(前期及後期型)/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl#more-554

1 hour ago, Chi said:

I have tried so many brown ink samples to find one matching this pen the best

May I suggest:

1. Noodler's Golden Brown - I think it matches well the character of the pen, due to the ink's dual tone obtained through shading. See Figure 1.
  2. Noodler's Nightshade - matches the dark parts of the pen. See Figure 1.
  3. Akkerman Bekakt Haags (Posh Hague, typically used for a type of tone and dialect) - matches the cherrytree wood properties, especially when diluted with water. See Figure 2.
  4. Akkerman Hopjesbruin - matches the light tone, especially when diluted with water. See Figure 2.
  5. Akkerman Dutch Masters Collection, Steenrood van Vermeer (Brick-red from Vermeer) - just because it's nice. See Figure 2.

large.20220302_192319.jpg.5c24a957defb4c931312a9f4926096cc.jpg

Figure 1. Noodler's Golden Brown and Nightshade. 

large.20220302_192909.jpg.861d3dfcdf4ddc01082f41c60f0b0476.jpg

Figure 2. Several Akkerman browns and a complementary color, the Akkerman Delfts Blauw (Delft blue). 

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Linked to figures.

Today's (so far at least) it's been a couple of Noodler's pens:

Noodler's FPC (Cobalt, flex nib) -- KWZI Brown Pink.

Noodler's acrylic Konrad ("Forbidden City", flex nib) -- Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

3 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

May I suggest:

1. Noodler's Golden Brown - I think it matches well the character of the pen, due to the ink's dual tone obtained through shading. See Figure 1.
  2. Noodler's Nightshade - matches the dark parts of the pen. See Figure 1.
  3. Akkerman Bekakt Haags (Posh Hague, typically used for a type of tone and dialect) - matches the cherrytree wood properties, especially when diluted with water. See Figure 2.
  4. Akkerman Hopjesbruin - matches the light tone, especially when diluted with water. See Figure 2.
  5. Akkerman Dutch Masters Collection, Steenrood van Vermeer (Brick-red from Vermeer) - just because it's nice. See Figure 2.

large.20220302_192319.jpg.5c24a957defb4c931312a9f4926096cc.jpg

Figure 1. Noodler's Golden Brown and Nightshade. 

large.20220302_192909.jpg.861d3dfcdf4ddc01082f41c60f0b0476.jpg

Figure 2. Several Akkerman browns and a complementary color, the Akkerman Delfts Blauw (Delft blue). 

Thank you! I will totally check them out : ) 

Today's journal pen is a newly arrived old Pilot Lady with a fine nib. It is very small and slender - smaller than an E95s - but very pretty.

large.448163743_PilotLady.jpg.569edc557a68edf9fcb7260eb77d68ee.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

1 minute ago, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen is a newly arrived old Pilot Lady with a fine nib. It is very small and slender - smaller than an E95s - but very pretty.

large.448163743_PilotLady.jpg.569edc557a68edf9fcb7260eb77d68ee.jpg

That is a beautiful lady! Gathered from what you described, it is the pocket pen model?

I have the full size lady but have not yet acquired the pocket version. 

2 minutes ago, Chi said:

That is a beautiful lady! Gathered from what you described, it is the pocket pen model?

Yes! :)

large.Pilot_longshort.jpg.8c11dbf1da97ebe678f844644cdf30f9.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

46 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Yes! :)

large.Pilot_longshort.jpg.8c11dbf1da97ebe678f844644cdf30f9.jpg

Looks like it would pair nicely with tsuki-yo, Gravity Wave, or Morning Star!  What do you have it inked with?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence