What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

On 2/25/2022 at 12:57 PM, essayfaire said:

I hate pen flush.  I have a hyper-sensitive sense of smell and the ammonia odors of all the brands I've tried leave my reeling. I am open to any more sensorily harmonious cleaning suggestions other FPNs may have.  

Water?

Water and time?

Water with a smidge of dish detergent?

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's Morning Pages were written with a Parker 45 Coronet with an extra fine nib and Diamine Writers Blood. The pen, as far as I can ascertain  is circa 1967 and in perfect condition. It has been a delight to use.

large.parker45_coronet.jpg.d952a7313ab22f3b610e1bfa29943b5a.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

28 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

Water?

Water and time?

Water with a smidge of dish detergent?

Stronger than water.  Talking about when water fails to be the universal solvent it purports to be.  Maybe a smidge would do the trick.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 2/26/2022 at 6:57 AM, essayfaire said:

I am attempting to use my Narwhal Nautilus …‹snip›… but I can't get the pen to start up. …‹snip›… I am open to any more sensorily harmonious cleaning suggestions other FPNs may have.

Well, not only does an ultrasonic cleaner make a bothersome, constant buzzing sound when working, but a piston-filler — or some other pen with a built-in filling mechanism — that you cannot fully disassemble for deep cleaning and drying (and then confidently reassemble), may not be what you'd want to dunk into cleaning tank wholesale and let the vibrations work the liquid into every nook and cranny of the object being cleaned. However, at the very least you should be able to unscrew the nib unit from a Narwhal Nautilus, and clean that part with an ultrasonic cleaner, then push pressurised jets of water (using a bulb syringe or some such) through its back end repeatedly.

If you're looking for a chemical solution that is not commercial pen flush, I suppose you could try ascorbic acid, or a fill of Sailor Shikiori Doyou ink.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Pelikan Stresemann 805 with tuski-yo

Visconti Homosapien bronze with Ackerman Zuiderpark Blauw-Groen

Kaweco Brass Sport with Diamine Dark Forest

Peter

Majohn A1 - Pilot VP Nib Unit - 18K Broad.  Ink:  Diamine Aurora Borealis

Jinhao 75 - F. nib.  Ink:  Thorton's Ink - Green

WIN_20220228_22_49_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.a11aa2633afe676aa460864622208c51.jpg

WIN_20220228_22_35_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.1f5eec022e371f57a35cfb93d7ef0164.jpg

14 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

but a piston-filler — or some other pen with a built-in filling mechanism — that you cannot fully disassemble for deep cleaning and drying (and then confidently reassemble), may not be what you'd want to dunk into cleaning tank wholesale

I actually own an ultrasonic cleaner, but have been hesitant to use it because I picture all these little bits loosened and going into other nooks and crannies where I imagine they'd be up to no good!  Pulling the nib might be a less scary alternative.

14 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

suppose you could try ascorbic acid, or a fill of Sailor Shikiori Doyou ink.

Are you being smug, or do you mean it?  I think I have the ink around here somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Festina lente

2 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Are you being smug, or do you mean it?  I think I have the ink around here somewhere.

Sailor Doyou has a reputation for being an effective ‘cleaner’ ink.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

9 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Are you being smug, or do you mean it?

FWIW, I find ascorbic acid is very useful for cleaning off the dark stains of (what I assume are) dried up IG ink on the gold nibs of some vintage fountain pens. I just use a tiny bit of Vit. C powder dissolved in water and dip a cotton swab (Qtip) in it to make sure I can control where it goes. It requires a bit of persistence because I only use a tiny amount rather than take the risk of ruining my pen. I've also used it to get the same stains off of ink windows when I have been able to get piston pens open enough to get in there with a cotton swab. I haven't dared to put the solution itself in the pen and let it sit for a while, mostly because I have been able to get done what needed to be done with the cotton swab, but surely one of our resident experts can say how safe that would be.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Grandfather's vintage Parker with Ina-ho to contrast with the color of the ink on the page I'm grading, which is blue:

IMG_1259.JPG

Festina lente

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Sailor Doyou has a reputation for being an effective ‘cleaner’ ink.

@essayfaire, I second @A Smug Dill. Sailor Doyou, Noodler's Eel inks (Tourquoise, for example), and I believe a few others have been recommended here on FPN for a while, as approaches to clean ink remnants on feeds and inside piston-fillers. 

Here is an example: the thread What's Your "cleaner" Ink? by @Flaxmoore

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Added a concrete example.

9 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Grandfather's vintage Parker with Ina-ho to contrast with the color of the ink on the page I'm grading, which is blue:

IMG_1259.JPG

Very nice, @essayfaire! Now we need to ask our students to pick up fountain pens as well. Not only their writing would improve, but maybe they may even start using technical terms like "correlation". 😄

36 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

IMG_1259.JPG

You're braver than I.

I don't think I'd dare use an Iroshizuku with a latex sac, or have you switched it to something less vulnerable?

3 hours ago, essayfaire said:

IMG_1259.JPG

Beautiful pen! Love those black and pearl Duofolds!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Today’s pen is my Opus 88 Koloro with Birmingham Penn State Ink and Pearl EX pigment.

image.thumb.jpeg.09aa1c305928ab0fb9bf26f91dcd913a.jpeg

"Life is too short to use boring ink!" - JPMH

My Morning Pages pen today is a brown Opus88 Picnic filled with Diamine Chocolate. Sorry no photo, I'm cosied up with a lap desk to visit here and write, while having a heat-pack draped across my cranky shoulder. Multitasking old-style.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

6 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Here is an example: the thread What's Your "cleaner" Ink? by @Flaxmoore

Thank you (and @A Smug Dill).  I was unaware of this.

6 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Now we need to ask our students to pick up fountain pens as well

Student did! :) 

5 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

don't think I'd dare use an Iroshizuku with a latex sac, or have you switched it to something less vulnerable

The sac has been replaced, but I confess I don't know what the current sac is comprised of.  

3 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Love those black and pearl Duofolds!

It's actually a green one! I must admit that I like the look of it more than I care for the nib, but with the sentimental value I use it happily anyway.

Festina lente

4 hours ago, Chi said:

Platinum Cherrywood Pocket fountain pen with Pilot Iroshizuku yama-guri

Lovely pen. 😄 (I bid at some point an arm and a leg for one, so I believe it's also quite precious.) 

I am curious about both the wood body and the specific type of nib. How does this pen feel in hand? How does it write?