What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

1 minute ago, amberleadavis said:

@dms525 Why did the pen come from Turkey?

Hmmm ... Is this a variation on "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Okay. Straight answer: The pen is a limited edition made by Franklin-Christoph In Jonathan Brooks "Golden Rule" resin for Galen Leather, which is based in Istanbul, although their products are carried by many U.S. pen shops, and they do come to U.S. Pen shows.

Galen makes some wonderful pen cases and carry other interesting writing and desk paraphernalia. In the same shipment as the pen, I got a nifty German-made brass pencil sharpener that's just a little bigger than the multi-vitamin pill I take in the morning. Galen made a cool little leather case for it.

David

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, dms525 said:

Hmmm ... Is this a variation on "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Okay. Straight answer: The pen is a limited edition made by Franklin-Christoph In Jonathan Brooks "Golden Rule" resin for Galen Leather, which is based in Istanbul, although their products are carried by many U.S. pen shops, and they do come to U.S. Pen shows.

Galen makes some wonderful pen cases and carry other interesting writing and desk paraphernalia. In the same shipment as the pen, I got a nifty German-made brass pencil sharpener that's just a little bigger than the multi-vitamin pill I take in the morning. Galen made a cool little leather case for it.

David

Wow leather cases for multi-vitamins.  :P

Thank you for the answer. I've been checking out Galen.  Great stuff!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Fountain Pen Revolution Himalaya version 2 extra fine flex in green ebonite.  Just love the look and feel f the green ebonite!

When I first received it it wouldn't write more than a couple of letters without railroading and ink starved.  Tried several different inks, but they all would run dry.  I contacted Kevin at FPR and he offered to send me a known good feed and nib combination if I couldn't get it working by cleaning the pen and trying more inks.  I instead tried to fiddle with the ebonite flex feed myself to no avail.  Since I tinkered with the feed, I just ordered another flex feed for three dollars (ordered a couple of different size nibs too).   Result, pen now works great!  Will still run dry on occasion after several words, but starts right back up after a few strokes.

I'm learning Copperplate, and instead of having to break out my oblique holder with a Nikko G nib and Sumi ink, I can just practice thin and thick line technique without the fuss.  Had it for about a month and I just love it!

FPR Himalaya v2 Example.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tasmith said:

Fountain Pen Revolution Himalaya version 2 extra fine flex in green ebonite.  Just love the look and feel f the green ebonite!

When I first received it it wouldn't write more than a couple of letters without railroading and ink starved.  Tried several different inks, but they all would run dry.  I contacted Kevin at FPR and he offered to send me a known good feed and nib combination if I couldn't get it working by cleaning the pen and trying more inks.  I instead tried to fiddle with the ebonite flex feed myself to no avail.  Since I tinkered with the feed, I just ordered another flex feed for three dollars (ordered a couple of different size nibs too).   Result, pen now works great!  Will still run dry on occasion after several words, but starts right back up after a few strokes.

I'm learning Copperplate, and instead of having to break out my oblique holder with a Nikko G nib and Sumi ink, I can just practice thin and thick line technique without the fuss.  Had it for about a month and I just love it!

Love the writing!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

@TasmithYou have beautiful flex cursive writing!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Playboy Fountain Pen (Green Celluloid--Playboy symbol on nib & clip) - F. nib.  Ink:  Dryden Designs Sky Blue

Hero 616 Doctor - F. nib.  Ink:  Jinhao Blue

On 2/18/2022 at 7:43 AM, OldTravelingShoe said:

I chose P19. Blue / Orange in Premium Ebonite. Hope you can still get it. 

thanks, no hurry, maybe I'll save it for my next Ranga, the Splendour is coming in solid red...

On 2/17/2022 at 1:34 AM, flodoc said:

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with celluloid. I haven't experienced that yet. I store my pens in pen cases that are never exposed to direct sunlight or excessive heat or cold (basement office). I have never had any issues with celluloid pens deteriorating over time. Stipula, Montegrappa, Visconti and Tibaldi pens from the 80s and 90s are the ones I own.

I live in the tropics, 70Km north of the Equator. Celluloid nitrate will rot! All brands had casualties if made from 90ies Celluloid Nitrate by Mazzucchelli 1849. It is a common problem here and I'm not the only one who lost thousands of $$$!

I'm collecting fountain pens for 30 years and I know how to store them.

(650 fountain pens and 350 bottles ink).

Ubi bene ibi patria.

Wow, you are indeed a collector, glad you found us! What's you most used pen(s)?

2 hours ago, AoKiu said:

[much snipped]I'm collecting fountain pens for 30 years and I know how to store them.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

3 hours ago, AoKiu said:

I live in the tropics, 70Km north of the Equator. Celluloid nitrate will rot! All brands had casualties if made from 90ies Celluloid Nitrate by Mazzucchelli 1849. It is a common problem here and I'm not the only one who lost thousands of $$$!

I'm collecting fountain pens for 30 years and I know how to store them.

Wow, what a terrible shame! So sorry to hear that, as I'm sure they were all beautiful pens! I wouldn't have ever thought of anything like that, but then again, I do live in the 'cold' north. And that is indeed quite a collection at 650 pens! (Going to tell my husband now that he can stop commenting on the 40-ish that I have! :))

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

4 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Going to tell my husband now that he can stop commenting on the 40-ish that I have! :)

You could even encourage him to think 650 is possible to reach in the future, and how happy everyone would be to have these pens around. Great expectations... 😄

Today: a Pilot Kakuno, grey with a red cap and a fine nib, filled with Pilot Blue Black. Very basic, but so reliable and comfortable in hand. It just works. (Wistful sigh, for all the expensive pens that don't... I'm sure most of you know that feeling.)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

2 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Wistful sigh, for all the expensive pens that don't... I'm sure most of you know that feeling

Even a starter like me knows it. So I appreciate your message: I'm still trying to figure out the

P _ _ _ _ _ n with an awesome nib and body structure and color, but that simply skips, skips, skips. 😄

Using my latest Parker 105 with a medium to broad nib, super smooth writer and fairly wet.

On shift with the 105 is a medium Waterman Exception and broad Parker Premier (the last premier series).

All are very smooth writers with good ink flow. Inked with either Monteverde sapphire or Diamine majestic blue.

6 minutes ago, thx1138 said:

Using my latest Parker 105 with a medium to broad nib, super smooth writer and fairly wet.

On shift with the 105 is a medium Waterman Exception and broad Parker Premier (the last premier series).

All are very smooth writers with good ink flow. Inked with either Monteverde sapphire or Diamine majestic blue.

@thx1138, if you could also share a photo to go with this nice description, I would find it very nice! 

21 hours ago, Tasmith said:

Wow, that is beautiful!  I'm hoping for legible myself.

Today is a Parker 51 Sheaffer's Skrip #24 Permanent Blue-Black.

On 2/19/2022 at 2:43 AM, dms525 said:

IMG_3803.jpeg.f56065eb1e6f64f525d06a9acab5b61e.jpeg

IMG_3801.jpeg.888878ad6b16ed4347e0314c9df6a163.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg.41dabd7a5a1845e3783635cf3f25d1ab.jpeg

This pen just arrived from Turkey today. I am very happy with it. (Very, very, very)

David

Looks very good, David. The 02 is on my list, after some study on the different FC models it looks like it could be the most comfortable due to the shape of the section and practically no steps at the barrel. A fantastic JB resin, yours!

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

Looks very good, David. The 02 is on my list, after some study on the different FC models it looks like it could be the most comfortable due to the shape of the section and practically no steps at the barrel. A fantastic JB resin, yours!

Thanks for the comment.

Another relatively unique attribute of the Model 02 is that it posts very deeply and securely. So the length and balance of the pen are minimally different posted or un-posted. Hmm ... I should post a comparison photo.

1491864586_F-CModel02compare.jpg.bf8cb3557320c7bb97bbd0f21c9fa490.jpg

David

2 hours ago, dms525 said:

Thanks for the comment.

Another relatively unique attribute of the Model 02 is that it posts very deeply and securely. So the length and balance of the pen are minimally different posted or un-posted. Hmm ... I should post a comparison photo.

1491864586_F-CModel02compare.jpg.bf8cb3557320c7bb97bbd0f21c9fa490.jpg

David

I had noted that, but in fact I rarely post my pens, the lack of steps on the other hand is very welcome, the more so because quite a number of other FCs have notable steps and sometimes they are rather sharp. (the other non-step FC, which I already own due to the desirable feature, is the Marietta 20).

btw, I see you have a few... :) did you try any of their nib grinds? I'm very happy with a medium stub, really smooth but still sharp, and not too wide, very nice with cursive.