What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

8 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Discovering yesterday (while making myself a "Currently Inked" book) that I have 62 pens inked has me on a campaign to write them empty before I'm inking anything else! Today I chose three that are fairly low to get off to a flying start... A Pilot 78G with a B Italic nib filled with Iroshizuku Syo-ro, a Wing Sung 699 with Diamine Deep Dark Brown and a leaky PenBBS 323 with an undocumented brown ink.

large.feb_18.jpg.f7459d010b8578eac8fb5fb90f21823a.jpg

62!  :yikes:

I have trouble keeping on top of things when I get above a dozen or so inked up.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Discovering yesterday (while making myself a "Currently Inked" book) that I have 62 pens inked has me on a campaign to write them empty before I'm inking anything else! Today I chose three that are fairly low to get off to a flying start... A Pilot 78G with a B Italic nib filled with Iroshizuku Syo-ro, a Wing Sung 699 with Diamine Deep Dark Brown and a leaky PenBBS 323 with an undocumented brown ink.

large.feb_18.jpg.f7459d010b8578eac8fb5fb90f21823a.jpg

62 pens?  WOW - show us the set and the ink?????

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 2/16/2022 at 8:16 AM, 65brix said:

Writing with a Sheaffer's that I'm about to sell. 

I seriously need to thin out my collection!!

Very pretty pen.

Love the profile pic, I had a "Put a Brain the Whitehouse" bumper sticker on my F150.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Today, is kind of a new pen day for me. I ordered an Opus 88 Omar broad nib in smokey quartz. I've actually had it about a week and just got around to inking it up. I put Noodler's Lexington Grey in it. Used an ink syringe and not the eye dropper. Cracked the valve open and had ink flow in well less than 5 minutes. I must say I am impressed with the way it writes with this particular ink. I also like the fact it's a pen you "fiddle" with. Opening the valve. I like it, already. Very nice!

KF5EYR

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

62 pens?  WOW - show us the set and the ink?????

Actually I have more than 62... but they're not all Montblancs! In fact, there are no Montblancs, or urushi, or Italian. Mostly kinda lowly, but I love them.

The drawers are from Kmart with home made inserts. And, as seen in the picture, even the humblest Daiso is treated to the same felt-covered comfort as my Sailor Nagasawa Skeleton. With pens put back in the drawer when inked, I was forgetting what was was inked. My digital log knows all their histories, but the new Currently Inked book is VISUAL. And making it made me useful on one of those days. And it's so cool, I wish I had done it years ago because then I wouldn't have ended up with so many inked pens.

The square drawers above - also DIY - contain my inks.

large.pen_drawers.jpg.0b3a20109623769f372acd40573785f7.jpglarge_pens.jpg.67b9e9330f2c836fa0a503ec1506a739.jpglarge.ink_drawers.jpg.2521998f2ad0feb8a29113afa2ad19a8.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Fuente Cigar said:

Today, is kind of a new pen day for me. I ordered an Opus 88 Omar broad nib in smokey quartz. I've actually had it about a week and just got around to inking it up. I put Noodler's Lexington Grey in it. Used an ink syringe and not the eye dropper. Cracked the valve open and had ink flow in well less than 5 minutes. I must say I am impressed with the way it writes with this particular ink. I also like the fact it's a pen you "fiddle" with. Opening the valve. I like it, already. Very nice!

Congratulations! Lexington Grey is a very reliable ink.

Thank you. I think it is reliable as well. It flows very nicely in several pens I have tried it in.

KF5EYR

Today it's been the silver color Pilot Metropolitan, M nib, with Birmingham Pens Allegheny Observatory Celestial Blue, which is a nice but fairly wet dark blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

14 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Actually I have more than 62... but they're not all Montblancs! In fact, there are no Montblancs, or urushi, or Italian. Mostly kinda lowly, but I love them.

The drawers are from Kmart with home made inserts. And, as seen in the picture, even the humblest Daiso is treated to the same felt-covered comfort as my Sailor Nagasawa Skeleton. With pens put back in the drawer when inked, I was forgetting what was was inked. My digital log knows all their histories, but the new Currently Inked book is VISUAL. And making it made me useful on one of those days. And it's so cool, I wish I had done it years ago because then I wouldn't have ended up with so many inked pens.

The square drawers above - also DIY - contain my inks.

large.pen_drawers.jpg.0b3a20109623769f372acd40573785f7.jpglarge_pens.jpg.67b9e9330f2c836fa0a503ec1506a739.jpglarge.ink_drawers.jpg.2521998f2ad0feb8a29113afa2ad19a8.jpg

That really is such an awesome way to store a lot of pens! I think I’m going to figure out something like that for mine.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

IMG_3803.jpeg.f56065eb1e6f64f525d06a9acab5b61e.jpeg

IMG_3801.jpeg.888878ad6b16ed4347e0314c9df6a163.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg.41dabd7a5a1845e3783635cf3f25d1ab.jpeg

This pen just arrived from Turkey today. I am very happy with it. (Very, very, very)

David

4 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

That really is such an awesome way to store a lot of pens! I think I’m going to figure out something like that for mine.

I second @DvdRiet: this is an excellent setup, @AmandaW

Your setup inspires me. I've started to think what I'd like to do to store all the pens - - mine are also primarily cheap, as I primarily use them to learn how to sketch and draw - -, and this looks like a wonderful combination of pragmatism, DIY, and quality. I'm taking notes! 

13 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

I second @DvdRiet: this is an excellent setup, @AmandaW

Your setup inspires me. I've started to think what I'd like to do to store all the pens - - mine are also primarily cheap, as I primarily use them to learn how to sketch and draw - -, and this looks like a wonderful combination of pragmatism, DIY, and quality. I'm taking notes! 

My picture inspired me too. Looking at the photo made me get out a tape measure and, yes, if I move that shelf up a bit there's enough room to fit in another pair of drawers and end up with no visual gaps. It will look better and who can pass up storage for another 26 pens? When my dh made up the ones in the bottom shelf as my Christmas gift I said 'I don't have that many pens', he replied 'just being realistic'.

bamboo_drawers.JPG.fbf7a671cca33beaf1102899c6d8728c.JPG

22 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

he replied 'just being realistic'.

Hehe, the right person just knows! 😄

3 hours ago, dms525 said:

IMG_3803.jpeg.f56065eb1e6f64f525d06a9acab5b61e.jpeg

IMG_3801.jpeg.888878ad6b16ed4347e0314c9df6a163.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg.41dabd7a5a1845e3783635cf3f25d1ab.jpeg

This pen just arrived from Turkey today. I am very happy with it. (Very, very, very)

David

David, thank you for sharing! My eyes started with the writing, liked it, and then decided to also like the pen. Now I like both. 

5 hours ago, AmandaW said:

The drawers are from Kmart with home made inserts

As a first step toward making my own drawers (and I thought I just wanted to learn how to draw... look where that got me!), @AmandaW, all, where would one buy such inserts? Which store, or even which kind of store would sell something like this? (I've just learned from @dms525's post about Galen Leather in Turkey, who produce pen accessories, but not really pen trays, and I'm too new to this to know any of the even most common names.)

Or perhaps you make them as well? I could imagine a wire frame, covered with felt or some other smooth material so the pen lacquer won't scratch, but soon I'll have to start thinking about making wire, or even producing copper alloys. 

8 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Or perhaps you make them as well?

I did make them and documented here:

6 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Many thanks for this summary, @A Smug Dill! I enjoyed traversing all of it, trying to learn about all of it. I feel like when I was traveling in Japan, and next to the main sites for which I was prepared I would bump into a wonderful nook or shop and try to make sense of it. What a good day! 

33 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I did make them and documented here

Oooh, lots to learn, thanks for sharing! 

I saw many technical approaches - different materials and ways to source them. 

I also saw different designs, with various structures and affordances for the user. @AmandaW, I liked very much in particular your 'currently inked' design, this is very pleasing to the eye and something you could sell imo.

Excellent starter! 

@AmandaWYour set up is inspirational!

@dms525 Why did the pen come from Turkey?