• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's pen is a recent addition to my collection of Diplomats: a medium or ladies-sized version of the Classic Collection pen from the 1990s in an intriguing greenish-tealish marbled lacquer. I've inked it with Robert Oster Tranquility, but I'm not all that happy with the pairing. It writes nicely but the color is a bit too matchy-matchy for my tastes. Hard to tell from the photo - getting all the nuances of the pen's color was impossible - but it's exactly that kind of match that feels too 'on purpose,' if you know what I mean. Going to try something more contrasting next time, but I'm loving the way the pen writes!

large.1339449046_DiplomatClassicCollectionmedium.jpg.0ef3292b1d75ade1c6cb66fa400740f0.jpg

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Top: Opus 88 Premium Shell, flexible needlepoint nib using Dromgooles exclusive Discovery Green.

Bottom: Montblanc 146 Calligraphy with a flexible extra fine nib using Noodlers Heart of Darkness.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d3570b550187bfedbd352bede2b9b1c.jpeg

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I have been using my Pelikan 120 in my journal, with Higgins Sepia Calligraphy ink. For my general writing I use my Dupont Olympio Large with Carter's Washable Blue ink.

Ed

Montblanc Classique Solitaire w/18K fine nib and Noodler's Black ink. This is a user pen I picked up cheap on eBay because it has four dings in the barrel (two of them qualify as dents). It still looks great in a shirt pocket and you can't see the dents in use and best of all it is a great writing pen!

20220213_201617.jpg

19 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Today's pen is a recent addition to my collection of Diplomats: a medium or ladies-sized version of the Classic Collection pen from the 1990s in an intriguing greenish-tealish marbled lacquer. I've inked it with Robert Oster Tranquility, but I'm not all that happy with the pairing. It writes nicely but the color is a bit too matchy-matchy for my tastes. Hard to tell from the photo - getting all the nuances of the pen's color was impossible - but it's exactly that kind of match that feels too 'on purpose,' if you know what I mean. Going to try something more contrasting next time, but I'm loving the way the pen writes!

large.1339449046_DiplomatClassicCollectionmedium.jpg.0ef3292b1d75ade1c6cb66fa400740f0.jpg

Lovely combination. Thank you for sharing! 

8 hours ago, flodoc said:

Montblanc Classique Solitaire w/18K fine nib and Noodler's Black ink. This is a user pen I picked up cheap on eBay because it has four dings in the barrel (two of them qualify as dents). It still looks great in a shirt pocket and you can't see the dents in use and best of all it is a great writing pen!

20220213_201617.jpg

Nice pen! And I kind of like this idea, actually. I keep being tempted by all of you talking about what great writers they are, but I'm not a big fan of the plain looks on most of them or the premium prices (especially on the prettiest ones!). So I think that if I got one, it would be more about the nib - maybe a calligraphy if I'm lucky - than about a pristine (collectible) appearance. Hmmm... I may have to do some different searches on the auction/sales sites.... :)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Today's pen (or ink, rather) is a Parker Sonnet in pink gold inked with Robert Oster Claret. This is a much more subtle pairing of colors than yesterday's teal and teal/green. The purple tint of this not-black ink is pretty but not OTT with the rose gold pen. But I did get a good dose of the infamous Parker Sonnet dry-out this morning, as this pen has been sitting idle in the case for a few weeks. :(

large.1414316137_ParkerSonnetpinkgold.jpg.2d1c052fdf0aee935dcf3c2b9a742174.jpg

And since I ran out the teal in yesterday's pen, I've put it in another pen this morning. A much better pairing with this fun and funky turquoise Diplomat Esteem Lapis (the silky soft finish).

large.1114030490_DiplomatEsteemLapisturq.jpg.ea21a12d350505bd7585e65a177f3c27.jpg

A Pelikan 400nn filled with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.  The pen has a fine stubbish nib. 

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A2 (Fine) - Montblanc Irish Green

Parker "51" Aerometric (Broad, England) - Waterman Black

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refill

5 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Nice pen! And I kind of like this idea, actually. I keep being tempted by all of you talking about what great writers they are, but I'm not a big fan of the plain looks on most of them or the premium prices (especially on the prettiest ones!). So I think that if I got one, it would be more about the nib - maybe a calligraphy if I'm lucky - than about a pristine (collectible) appearance. Hmmm... I may have to do some different searches on the auction/sales sites.... :)

When I was actively collecting from early 90s through around 2009, I picked up a lot of used pens, most of which were good writers with minimal use and few signs of wear. There are risks involved, however. I bought several new Bexley and Bock nibs being closed out from Brian at Edison Pen Co. in order to rescue pens that arrived with impossibly damaged nibs. See the Visconti I am using today in this topic for another example.

An early Visconti Van Gogh that is mostly dark blue with a medium nib I have stubbed myself. It has a slim clip and bayonet cap attachment. This was an eBay find. The nib was far too wet for my taste and the pen languished in my collection with virtually no use, hence my decision to try my hand at modifying the nib. I was moderately successful. I have managed to reduce the flow a bit and I get a hint of line variation that makes the pen fun to use. It is also a very smooth writer, which is a bonus!

20220214_105756.jpg

On 1/26/2022 at 11:37 PM, flodoc said:

Replaced the Molteni Curucova with this Montegrappa Symphony in turquoise celluloid w/18k fine nib and Noodler's Navajo Turquoise ink. Arguably the best looking celluloid ever!

20220126_092422.jpg

... and the first of my 5 Harmony Celluloid pens to disintegrate!

Ubi bene ibi patria.

On 2/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, flodoc said:

When I was actively collecting from early 90s through around 2009, I picked up a lot of used pens, most of which were good writers with minimal use and few signs of wear. There are risks involved, however. I bought several new Bexley and Bock nibs being closed out from Brian at Edison Pen Co. in order to rescue pens that arrived with impossibly damaged nibs. See the Visconti I am using today in this topic for another example.

That's a good tip. I've so far managed to rescue most of the abused nibs on the older pens I've collected, including a flexy German nib from the 50s that was sprung and that I am especially pleased with. I have had a couple of surprises with impossible to salvage grinds on vintage nibs, but for the most part, I have had success with being as vigilant as possible about the condition. Having some 'extra' nibs on hand opens up more possibilities, as I don't think finding them in decent/good enough shape for excellent prices is going to be easy. (But I'm in no hurry, so that helps.)  I actually bought the pen with the sprung nib for the beautiful condition of the pen, assuming I could find another donor pen with a better nib. It was incredibly cheap because the seller thought the nib was irreparable, so I got an unexpectedly amazing deal there in the end.

Ok, so now I have two things to hunt for: pens and nibs.... :) 

2 hours ago, sappie66 said:

My lady gave me this for Valentines Day:

E5ADB8DE-0389-45BB-9B5D-9E2FE63B06A7.jpeg

That's a mighty fine Valentine's Day gift! Congratulation! 

2 hours ago, sappie66 said:

My lady gave me this for Valentines Day

Very nice pen, @sappie66. It matches also the Visconti Homo Sapiens I think I saw in tbe background. Someone really appreciates you! 😄