What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

I've been cleaning and sorting these pens through the week, all so I could try them out during the weekend. So, here we are (see Figure 1):

1. Pilot Volex pocket (long-short) pen, steel F nib, made in 1980.

2. Pilot Myu 701 pocket pen, steel F nib, 1972.

3. Pilot LV-150 (Super V?) long pen, 14K F (or FM) nib, I believe 1960s. (I still have to learn to disassemble the nib, date the pen components.) 

4. Pilot Elite pocket pen, 18K M nib, I believe 1970s.

5. Pilot Elite pocket pen, steel F nib, 1980s.

6. Pilot Elite long, 18K SCRIPT nib, 1960s (?).

20220130_103449.thumb.jpg.307c0710a2957db387dfebb33702d7a9.jpg

Figure 1. Six Pilot pens. See text for details. 

I still have to learn and then apply systematically @A Smug Dill's method to try out and compare nib performance. In particular, I should try to make more systematic measurements of the  stroke widths, densities per Rhodia dot-square, and combination for various scripts (hands). Lots to learn and do. 

Have a good pen-day, everyone! 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm awfully slack at actually practising daily to develop and maintain the level of fine-grained motor control and hand-eye coordination required

Fwiw, same here. Work is simply too intense to leave enough room and I absolutely do not want to transform the pleasure of (exploring) writing into a chore. I will simply make progress at my own pace. But then I can appreciate all the more the art and craft of others 

29 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Ooh, this is an exciting link! Thank you for this, I can now understand the reasoning behind the method rather than just try to reverse-engineer its mechanics. Good stuff. 

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Corrected typos.

20220130_151823.thumb.jpg.ab1c00a30fb4d6feb30fe6a91ed4ac60.jpg

Wing Sung 601 in stainless steel, including a stainless steel grip purchased separately. Nib replaced with a Bobby "architect" steel nib. 

On Rhodia dotpad paper, inked with Noodler's Royal Blue, the pen writes wet, stroke width F to B depending on the angle at which I hold the pen. 

Overall, thumbs up, and thanks to all who discussed variants of both the pen and the nib -- iirc, @A Smug Dill, @Karmachanic, @Mech-for-i, @Honeybadgers, @Jamerelbe (I still recall the explanation on the $1,000 nib!), (and, of course, @Office_Supplies_Pen for making the nibs!) 

Today I flushed my Lamy Vista and filled my Lamy AL-star with Montblanc Irish Green.  It was sold as an extra-fine nib, but it was a bit scratchy and my smoothing was a bit over aggressive, so it is more of a fine now.  

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A2 (Fine) - Montblanc Irish Green

Parker "51" Aerometric (Broad, England) - Waterman Black

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refill

22 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

large.1270789070_TamenuriStudioNegoro-nuri.png.6c509b3ad504df99d9ad82b1aba36c1e.png

Tamenuri Studio; Negoro-nuri urushi.  Kobe #39 Renga ink

Beautiful pen - great ink match too!

Jinhao x450 with 1mm fude nib and Pilot iroshizuku kiri-same.

Still working on how I will use it.

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Beautiful pen - great ink match too!

The majority of my pens are black, so I've not usually concerned my self with matching inks.  Before it arrived I was considering Platinum Carbon Black, for contrast.  But then ....

Add lightness and simplicate.

Jinhao 100 Centennial - M. nib.  Ink:  Chesterfield Smoked Topaz  (Been inked for a couple

of days while I break in the nib)

WIN_20220128_14_00_37_Pro.jpg.a57e3d739b1c6897bfd35e4b022a4e58.jpg

7 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Tamenuri Studio

Very nice pen! If I'm recalling this correctly, I also like the owner's passion for urushi, which gives an excellent background story. 

On 1/28/2022 at 10:19 PM, ParramattaPaul said:

OOO very pretty!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 1/29/2022 at 9:06 AM, brokenclay said:

A sus órdenes:

large.541D1DC2-3D4A-4923-A447-669EA6929DE0.jpeg.b644fd2c6f9c261840ca89e94fb6013d.jpeg

Very nice!

On 1/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, flodoc said:

Platinum 3776 Maki-e "Pines" w/14K fine nib and Noodler's Zhivago. This is a very dark green, high solids ink that is very saturated even with a fine nib.

20220129_125653.jpg

That's a beauty!\

On 1/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, flodoc said:

Parker Duofold International in Green marble acrylic w/18K fine italic nib and Noodler's Zhivago ink.

PSX_20220129_141032.jpg

Looks great!

On 1/29/2022 at 5:58 PM, CXC said:

Guider ebonite desk pen.  Trying to diagnose the leak.

I really like my Guider pens.

16 hours ago, Recursion said:

Today I’m using my Sailor 1911 Large with a Medium-Fine (MF) nib, inked with Diamine Sapphire Blue.

IMG_2280.thumb.jpeg.e8340dcf239b5287f13d25cc7f8ae677.jpeg

What's the green one in the center?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

16 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

I've been cleaning and sorting these pens through the week, all so I could try them out during the weekend. So, here we are (see Figure 1):

1. Pilot Volex pocket (long-short) pen, steel F nib, made in 1980.

2. Pilot Myu 701 pocket pen, steel F nib, 1972.

3. Pilot LV-150 (Super V?) long pen, 14K F (or FM) nib, I believe 1960s. (I still have to learn to disassemble the nib, date the pen components.) 

4. Pilot Elite pocket pen, 18K M nib, I believe 1970s.

5. Pilot Elite pocket pen, steel F nib, 1980s.

6. Pilot Elite long, 18K SCRIPT nib, 1960s (?).

20220130_103449.thumb.jpg.307c0710a2957db387dfebb33702d7a9.jpg

Figure 1. Six Pilot pens. See text for details. 

I still have to learn and then apply systematically @A Smug Dill's method to try out and compare nib performance. In particular, I should try to make more systematic measurements of the  stroke widths, densities per Rhodia dot-square, and combination for various scripts (hands). Lots to learn and do. 

Have a good pen-day, everyone! 

We have a link to a nib measuring sheet. It's sort of fun to use.

10 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

large.1270789070_TamenuriStudioNegoro-nuri.png.6c509b3ad504df99d9ad82b1aba36c1e.png

Tamenuri Studio; Negoro-nuri urushi.  Kobe #39 Renga ink

I think that's stunning!

5 hours ago, Helen350 said:

Jinhao 100 Centennial - M. nib.  Ink:  Chesterfield Smoked Topaz  (Been inked for a couple

of days while I break in the nib)

WIN_20220128_14_00_37_Pro.jpg.a57e3d739b1c6897bfd35e4b022a4e58.jpg

Prettiest Jinhao I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

What's the green one in the center?

That is the Leonardo Momento Zero - Spaghetti resin Green Alga

1 hour ago, Recursion said:

That is the Leonardo Momento Zero - Spaghetti resin Green Alga

It's very pretty

large.2080437289_PenBBS309withKaigeluNMFnibwritingsampleinWatermanMysteriousblue.jpg.7ae30a248dfbcbe3254b83b7443aff94.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.