What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

1920s Harris green hardened rubber Flattop filled with Blackstone Green Cashmere ink

Conklin Crescent 50 just back from a visit to Mike Masuyama to have the nib tuned filled with J. Herbin Perle noire.

Visconti Art Nouveau, recently returned from its fourth holiday to Italy to repair internal leakage, filled with Visconti Turquoise and not leaking.

RHR Parker Senior Duofold filled with KWZI Monarch.

It was a busy day for writing.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kestrel said:

1920s Harris green hardened rubber Flattop filled with Blackstone Green Cashmere ink

Conklin Crescent 50 just back from a visit to Mike Masuyama to have the nib tuned filled with J. Herbin Perle noire.

Visconti Art Nouveau, recently returned from its fourth holiday to Italy to repair internal leakage, filled with Visconti Turquoise and not leaking.

RHR Parker Senior Duofold filled with KWZI Monarch.

It was a busy day for writing.

I get sad when my pens are better traveled than me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

8 hours ago, 4030 said:

I only have five pens, and I use them all every day. At work for notes and at home for letter writing and journaling.

• Sailor PG KOP "M"
  • Montblanc 149 "M"
  • Pilot Custom Urushi "FM"
  • Pelikan M1000 "F"
  • Platinum Prefounte "M"

I use Waterman blue in all of them except for the Platinum. I use Carbon black in it for writing on envelopes.

Only five pens...

😁

9 hours ago, 4030 said:

I only have five pens, and I use them all every day. At work for notes and at home for letter writing and journaling.

• Sailor PG KOP "M"
  • Montblanc 149 "M"
  • Pilot Custom Urushi "FM"
  • Pelikan M1000 "F"
  • Platinum Prefounte "M"

I use Waterman blue in all of them except for the Platinum. I use Carbon black in it for writing on envelopes.

Great pens, congrats, @4030. I smiled when I read about the Prefounte in the same list, until I found the name of the ink. Still, many on FPN think this ink could work nicely in any of your other pens. 

Are you considering other large pens? Waterman Le Man 100 or even Edson? Parker Centennial? Sheaffer Imperial (Targa)? 

Some cheap fun today:

52302867051_44d6e53243_b.jpg

IMG_6023 by Jean-Yves, on Flickr

Fountain Pen Revolution Himalaya V1 with a Leonardt 256 nib swapped in. It'll take a Zebra G too, if you prefer a thoroughly unpleasant writing experience.

(I have another with an FPR flex nib, but I bought this one to play with dip pen nibs, since the #5.5 nib size and straight ebonite feed seemed about right; and, as luck would have it, the Leonardt went in with just a little heat and the smallest of mallets) 

In I was editing, until I found out Eric Flint was dead, shelving that project** His estate seems to have closed down his Ring of Fire series.

...I'll can as soon as I run out of ink in the two EF's; a '59 Geha 790. It has the three true rings, oWb4qI2.jpg

the other '60-72 790's have a cheaper three rings.

WotaRYp.jpg

and a Pelikan marbled brown.

DSPqv6F.jpg

**I've gone back to finishing my western saga,that had got put aside for boring the writer.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Today it's been the Dusty Rose Laidtone Duofold Vac filler, F (?) nib, with diluted vintage Quink Microfilm Black.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

12 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Great pens, congrats, @4030. I smiled when I read about the Prefounte in the same list, until I found the name of the ink. Still, many on FPN think this ink could work nicely in any of your other pens. 

Are you considering other large pens? Waterman Le Man 100 or even Edson? Parker Centennial? Sheaffer Imperial (Targa)? 

Thank you. To be honest, at times I think the Prefounte is the best pen I own. I am just a cleanliness freak and do not like the residue that is easily left by pigmented inks. That is why I separate it like that, but you are absolutely right, any of those pens could handle Carbon Black.

I am very much hoping to get my hand on a few more large pens. An ASC Bologna Extra, Conid Kingsize, Danitrio Genkai, Pilot Emperor are among the pens I would like. But I only have a four slot pen holder, so what am I to do?

16 minutes ago, 4030 said:

But I only have a four slot pen holder, so what am I to do?

Not to be sarcastic... Perhaps it is time to get a larger pen holder?

If you are using your pens only for daily writing then four may be enough.

On the other hand, different inks and different nib styles and sizes do enhance the pleasure of our hobby.

Regardless of your choice enjoy the pens and ink you have...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

2 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Not to be sarcastic... Perhaps it is time to get a larger pen holder?

If you are using your pens only for daily writing then four may be enough.

On the other hand, different inks and different nib styles and sizes do enhance the pleasure of our hobby.

Regardless of your choice enjoy the pens and ink you have...

Yes, I certainly do not need any more pens, especially since I enjoy mine as much as I do. I was just talking about some pens I think would be nice to have.

13 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Only five pens...

😁

Only five pens will last longer than only five pair of shoes ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, 4030 said:

Yes, I certainly do not need any more pens,

:lticaptd::lticaptd::lticaptd:Cubed.

If one goes stubbed and CI every other width in nail.....there is some 47 nibs in all the widths and flex rates.

Then you need the good to great papers for the inks to dance on.

It is too bad our Great Ink Guru Sandy1 died, and her heirs didn't realize her greatness and shut down her knowledge. Width of a pen on different good to better papers made the ink look completely different.

A decade and a half ago, I can remember thinking as a 5-6 pen noobie, 12 would be really more than one would ''''need''''.

What would one need with more than 12 inks....:headsmack:cubed.

90 pens, 40 papers and 90 inks later.....compared to some, that is nothing.

Do remember we are living in the Middle of the Golden Age of Inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I like red ink in my black pens! 

large.Diplomat_Classic_2006.JPEG.45f5d2533680b0e3b3c772579e47cf59.JPEG

Pen: Diplomat Classic Collection medium-sized or 'Lady' 2006 special edition with a garnet in the clip, steel M nib

Ink: Herbin Rouge Grenat

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

16 hours ago, 4030 said:

An ASC Bologna Extra, Conid Kingsize, Danitrio Genkai, Pilot Emperor are among the pens I would like

Excellent and exciting plans! You clearly thought miles ahead. I can't wait to see the pictures, enjoy vicariously. 

16 hours ago, 4030 said:

But I only have a four slot pen holder, so what am I to do?

This is a thorny problem. You could start by engaging the pen holder in a discussion about the current situation. Slowly and gently, bring the pen holder to see how other pen holders do things, maybe even show it five, six, or even eight pens to get it used to the magnitude of the problem. Listen to the pen holder carefully and actually listen; most importantly, don't judge! As the pen holder learns about itselft and its role in the larger world, I'm sure you will see the pen holder warming up to the idea. Maybe you could think together about an approach where the pen holder takes different responsibilities, such as bringing the EDCs to work. 😄😉

1 hour ago, DvdRiet said:

I like red ink in my black pens! 

large.Diplomat_Classic_2006.JPEG.45f5d2533680b0e3b3c772579e47cf59.JPEG

Pen: Diplomat Classic Collection medium-sized or 'Lady' 2006 special edition with a garnet in the clip, steel M nib

Ink: Herbin Rouge Grenat

The garnet could be confused for an ink-view now 😄

15 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Only five pens will last longer than only five pair of shoes ;)

I'm wondering if miriapodes think the same. They never seem to collect many pairs of shoes... 😉

I don't have 16 arms, :rolleyes:and a mountain of paper. The Diplomat reminded me, I have a grand wood looking @ 1990 Diplomat to use, in it has a 18K, regular flex nib. The other Diplomat is my wife's that she's never ever going to use...has a jumping horse and stirrup clip*. It is silver plated and has a nail nib.

*There is also a Tennis player one with a tennis racket clip.

I can remember having my standard 17 pens inked, and never want to go back to that.

2033576700_ParkerVacEmeraldPearl.jpg.dcb9fa02aa0da7398e9d761455f38e03.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

The Diplomat reminded me, I have a grand wood looking @ 1990 Diplomat to use, in it has a 18K, regular flex nib.

BoBo, I know it takes a lot to convince you ;) but that 'wood-looking' pen really is made out of wood. It is briarwood, the same wood used to make smoking pipes. It was a special edition Diplomat that seems to have sold for DM499 at the time, so not a cheap pen. It's quite collectible these days, as I understand it. In fact, someone at Diplomat recently complimented me on having one in my collection. Rumour (and visual evidence) has it that the pen is actually a Platinum that has Diplomat branding. I have a Platinum converter in mine, for instance, and the 18k nib looks just like a 3776. It's called the Bruyére, but there was also one made for Tiffany, the jeweller, that also has their branding on it. 

As an aside, I also recently saw an identical Platinum in (dark) briarwood for sale on the German forum.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.