Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• TSherbs

• Savit

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Runnin_Ute said:

Of the seven pens that arrived in 2021, the one that has seen the most use is the Newton Elizabethan. Is it my favorite pen? Probably not even my favorite Newton.

The most interesting pen is probably the last one that arrived in November. A Parker Duofold streamlined with factory stub in jade celluloid. Absolutely gorgeous pen and writes better than many pens made in the 90 years since it was made. It's seen a lot of use in the past six weeks. I'm on my fifth or sixth fill already.

I just purchased my first pen of 2022, I expect to have it in the next week or so.

Interesting actually, I've  been looking at the Elizabethan myself (pardon the OT, which is your favourite Newton then?)

On 1/2/2022 at 3:24 AM, Keyless Works said:

My Hakase with a BB ground into a cursive italic was definitely my pen of the year.

I would also like to do a special in memoriam for my Montblanc 149 OBB...loved you so much, RIP.

guess it will be difficult to dethrone the Hakase...

(what happened to your 149? is it the one you are trying to have re-built? do not despair, I think you will find solutions) 

6 hours ago, Tashi_Tsering said:

My Top-3 in 2021:

3. Visconti Kaleido Voyager, F, 18k 
2. Vintage Parker Duofold "big red", ~ EF, 14k 
1. Montblanc Meisterstück 149 "75 Years of Passion & Soul", M, 18k

9126631B-9893-40CB-AF7D-780A1D2F63DB.jpeg

tough decision, I have some of my nicest Visconti nibs on my Kaleidos

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

guess it will be difficult to dethrone the Hakase...

(what happened to your 149? is it the one you are trying to have re-built? do not despair, I think you will find solutions) 

I have been using the Hakase almost non-stop but I just got a factory italic from Aurora that I am liking a lot too.

I had my 149 in a thick leather case and I closed it in a drawer unfortunately. I am going to see if Montblanc can fix it first as this will be the most cost effective route it seems. Otherwise having it remounted costs more than the pen is worth so I might just have to wait for another one with an OBB nib to show up.

First place: My Optimas

Runners  up: M205 Olivine and Star Ruby

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

My current favorite of the year: Black Delrin Karas Vertex with a Platinum 3776 M nib fitted in a Flexible Nib Factory housing! Might be the most ergonomic pen I own (for me). Nib is wonderful and precise, love the feel of the Delrin, works extremely well eyedroppered. Could write all day with it. The supplied Bock nib was fine, but putting in the 3776 nib took it to another level.

POY - Narwhal Nautilus Corydoras.  I loved the look and it was getting good reviews so I picked one up and "WOW" the moment I picked it up it I feel madly in love. Perfect size, perfect feel, original look and it writes wonderfully. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do.

Honorable Mentions:

Leonardo Officina Italiano Momento Zero Grande Primary Manipulation 4 - The resin is so gorgeous and somehow Leonardo knows how to make a pen that just feels great. This is the pen that I would have expected to be my POY before the Narwhal came out of left field.

JinHao Centennial/100 - Fantastic pen for about$15 and finally JinHao lets you choose between a Fine or Medium nib.  JinHao finally addressed nib dryout with its #6 loaded pens and this one can sit for days without hard starting. As a Duofold, the style and look are pretty tried and true and it's available in a ton of different acrylics and a couple of different clip and center band styles.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:10 AM, bestillmysoul said:

My personal pen of the year 2021 is Pilot Prera.

I love it too. Such a great pen. Stays inked for me for months at a time.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:10 AM, bestillmysoul said:

My personal pen of the year 2021 is Pilot Prera.

I'm recommending the Prera to anyone who asks me for a starter pen with no regrets.

I think it scores on the nib and on the actual pen.

23 hours ago, TSherbs said:

I love it too. Such a great pen. Stays inked for me for months at a time.

True, a great pen. 

Another pen that I feel is quite similar to prera is the Beena Proton.

15 hours ago, sansenri said:

I'm recommending the Prera to anyone who asks me for a starter pen with no regrets.

I think it scores on the nib and on the actual pen.

True..

Although the nib is same in pilot MR, the prera and pilot tank are much more comfortable to use.

A pre '24 MB Safety Pen with a # 6 Simplo Weak Kneed Wet Noodle nib. (The second Weak Need Wet Noodle I ever had in my hands; the other was also a MB Safety Pen at a live auction....but I am in Germany.)

It was given to my wife at a street flea market in the guy couldn't get the nib out and it looked so ratty. My wife took it for 'spare parts'.  Having a nice 'mid '30's Fendomatic Safety Pen made in Milan, I knew how to twist the knob to get the nib and feed out. It came out easy.

P8vt3DH.jpgDrSCTlI.jpgXb1HjNs.jpg

It was sent to Francis and he did wonders saying the polishing was the hardest to do.

lnHrQjX.jpg0vcaAsk.jpg

The nib is a 6-7X Weak Kneed Wet Noodle, writing in the mid range of dip pens.:notworthy1:

My 52 Waterman Wet Noodle is like my other two Wet noodles under the lower range of dip pen nibs. I brought out my 52 7X to compare both nibs.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

"True..

Although the nib is same in pilot MR, the prera and pilot tank are much more comfortable to use."

exactly my point, I often hear the MR being recommended, it does have a nice nib, but that step down to the section is so uncomfortable!... the extra cost to get a Prera is undoubtedly worth it, moreover aesthetically it's also a very pretty pen.

5 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

A pre '24 MB Safety Pen with a # 6 Simplo Weak Kneed Wet Noodle nib. (The second Weak Need Wet Noodle I ever had in my hands; the other was also a MB Safety Pen at a live auction....but I am in Germany.)

It was given to my wife at a street flea market in the guy couldn't get the nib out and it looked so ratty. My wife took it for 'spare parts'.  Having a nice 'mid '30's Fendomatic Safety Pen made in Milan, I knew how to twist the knob to get the nib and feed out. It came out easy.

It was sent to Francis and he did wonders saying the polishing was the hardest to do.

lnHrQjX.jpg

The nib is a 6-7X Weak Kneed Wet Noodle, writing in the mid range of dip pens.:notworthy1:

My 52 Waterman Wet Noodle is like my other two Wet noodles under the lower range of dip pen nibs. I brought out my 52 7X to compare both nibs.

very nice pen!

11 hours ago, sansenri said:

"True..

Although the nib is same in pilot MR, the prera and pilot tank are much more comfortable to use."

exactly my point, I often hear the MR being recommended, it does have a nice nib, but that step down to the section is so uncomfortable!... the extra cost to get a Prera is undoubtedly worth it, moreover aesthetically it's also a very pretty pen.

I do recommend the Metropolitan to people (I like both of mine) but I do warn people that some people have trouble with the step-down to the section (I have small hands so it isn't an issue for me).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I bought a Nakaya Piccolo Cigar, kuro-tamenuri (F), to replace the one I'd lost more than a year before, and it arrived at the beginning of December 2020. It was instantly my favorite pen and would have been the one if I could have swapped in a Pilot #10 PO nib that I swapped into a Moonman C2 (still in use today just about two years later).

In September, 2021, in a moment of madness, I took the Pilot #15 PO nib from the Custom 823 and plopped it into the Piccolo's nib housing, expecting the usual disappointment.

IMG_20210907_153415620_resize_76.thumb.jpg.cc1188fe855688f750d1f29227171663.jpg

So, this is my pen of the year and my the one.

The Moonman C2 with the Pilot #10 PO nib is the one's consort.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.