YOUR pen of the year?

sansenri

The HongDian N1-S, which as yet is only available in one colour — a sunny orange — that I think represents the ‘next step up’ from the Wing Sung 3008 and PenBBS 494 in credible Chinese piston-filled pens. The styling has taken ample cues from the Peilkan Souverän line, but there are sufficient visual differences to not be a clone; and even the pen's overall size is different to that of the M600 and the M800, being in-between.

The bicolour EF nib, while not my favourite HongDian steel nib in producing tight and crisp lines, is among the better ones out of Chinese 35mm (cf. “JoWo #6”) open EF nibs, including other HongDian ones (e.g. on the closely related model 960). So far, the pen still hasn't dried out completely from its first fill of Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-yake. In fact, from what I can see in the ink window, I'd say the cap seems to seal pretty well.

For the price at which I got mine, it's an awesome pen, although not entirely without QC issues (having bought three, and returned one). In contrast, the Majohn T5, at a very similar price, left me disappointed on account of the squandered opportunity to deliver a credible ‘answer’ to a piston-filler with Italian styling (taking after the Aurora Optima).

I haven't tested my new Majohn A1 yet, because it's missing a factory-supplied converter. However, if it seals at least as well as a Pilot Capless, and if the EF nib on it writes finely and crisply enough for me, then I'm inclined to name it the Pen of the Year 2021 for me, because then it would be — in its own right as a writing instrument considered in isolation — an excellent pen and great exemplar of Chinese fountain pen manufacturing today, as well as flip the bird in a big way to the competition in the market, not the least Kaweco (even though the German brand has no capless fountain pen models to offer). The build quality and finish on the pen seem very good, and it's as satisfying to hold as my original Pilot Capless matt black Vanishing Point (which I love).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• TSherbs

• Savit

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My pen of the year is a humble black Kaweko Perkeo with a posting nib (customised by fpnibs). It lives in the pen pocket of a Lihit Lab A5 notebook cover which, with a dot grid Clairefontaine, created a complete kit for bullet journalling. That habit, now 4 months in, has suited me really well. I'm calmer, more organised and the 'thought log' acts as an index to the dense pages of text in my Morning Page journals.

I will upgrade to a Pilot 912 or 742 with a posting nib sometime next year this year, but will be forever grateful to the Perkeo that got me started.

Edited to correct for it being 2022 already. :blush:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

13 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

The HongDian N1-S, which as yet is only available in one colour — a sunny orange — that I think represents the ‘next step up’ from the Wing Sung 3008 and PenBBS 494 in credible Chinese piston-filled pens. The styling has taken ample cues from the Peilkan Souverän line, but there are sufficient visual differences to not be a clone; and even the pen's overall size is different to that of the M600 and the M800, being in-between.

The bicolour EF nib, while not my favourite HongDian steel nib in producing tight and crisp lines, is among the better ones out of Chinese 35mm (cf. “JoWo #6”) open EF nibs, including other HongDian ones (e.g. on the closely related model 960). So far, the pen still hasn't dried out completely from its first fill of Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-yake. In fact, from what I can see in the ink window, I'd say the cap seems to seal pretty well.

For the price at which I got mine, it's an awesome pen, although not entirely without QC issues (having bought three, and returned one). In contrast, the Majohn T5, at a very similar price, left me disappointed on account of the squandered opportunity to deliver a credible ‘answer’ to a piston-filler with Italian styling (taking after the Aurora Optima).

I haven't tested my new Majohn A1 yet, because it's missing a factory-supplied converter. However, if it seals at least as well as a Pilot Capless, and if the EF nib on it writes finely and crisply enough for me, then I'm inclined to name it the Pen of the Year 2021 for me, because then it would be — in its own right as a writing instrument considered in isolation — an excellent pen and great exemplar of Chinese fountain pen manufacturing today, as well as flip the bird in a big way to the competition in the market, not the least Kaweco (even though the German brand has no capless fountain pen models to offer). The build quality and finish on the pen seem very good, and it's as satisfying to hold as my original Pilot Capless matt black Vanishing Point (which I love).

Thank you for your take at this, ASD.

The N1-s looks interesting.

The 3008 is one of the few Chinese pens I use regularly (it did need replacement of the rusting screw in the cap, but not a big issue, and it's great with the new Lamy nib - but that is just a personal preference for broader nibs).

Interesting to note your comment on the T5, the N1-S may be a better alternative to look at.

Happy new year!

I am bound and determined to use up an entire 3oz bottle of Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin, an ink which is obnoxiously difficult to clean out of any pen.  Thus, the only pen that I am willing to risk is my FPR Jaipur 1.0mm stub, orange with black caps.  It's a pen that I know I can take completely to pieces and scrub the bits with a toothbrush.  And it's done remarkably well with this difficult and annoying ink.  Along with an XF Jinhao 51A, it's been one of my two EDC pens all year, especially once I went to work as a new RN.

11 hours ago, sansenri said:

just the one you sort of discovered this year and has struck you positively, more than all the others, this year.

This was tough but fun.

None of my higher end pens captured more attention in 2021. Maybe it was a mood. This year was all about practicality and getting back to the office. I needed to write now.

The one that rose to constant use and contentment (no fuss) was the TWSBI Swipe: Great smooth writing, above average capacity, tough, not-break-the-bank pens. Right out of the box, no fussing with nib or filling system, I could throw permanent inks and expend gallons. I even like the useful clip! My first TWSBI developed a crack so the Swipe kinda makes up for that experience. 

Other close 2021 runner ups in descending order that relit appreciation:

• Pilot Kakuno (EF) with the Con-70 easily filled by the TWSBI  Diamond 50 Inkwell with Pilot Blue Black - yes, that specific. Found out that plunging the Con-70 button will slurp ink from the center filling hole of the Diamond 50 Inkwell meant for TWSBI. So awesome, I'm gonna buy more for other inks. Marrying the EF Kakuno line with Con-70 capacity is a journal filler. If I ever get back to Japan, I'm bringing home more Kakunos.
  • Pilot Falcon Black Gold SEF - permainked with Namiki Black. Instant sweet semi-flex (and I have tried many many modern flex) I finally got the hang of filling a Con-40 and that made all the difference. Terrific poster and reeks of quality tradition with black and gold furniture, standing the test of time.
  • Platinum Plaisir (0.3 mm) Amabie - Turns out after buying up a buncha 0.2s Preppies I really enjoy the combo of the standard 0.3 with Platinum Carbon Black waay more. Amabie COVID protection mascot also helps, however irrational.
  • Lamy Aion EF - (Broad pictured) I'm coming around to liking bigger/heavier pens. The Lamy EF was sweet to me, nary an issue and the pen feels like a Sharpie with a B. Makes me even like non-black pens like this Dark Green with Pelikan 4001 Dark Green
  • Pelikan M200 (F) - M200/205 steel nibs for the win! Derby caps for the win! We have a winnah! This older style M200 is kinda like a love child of the newer M200 and M101N in steel and I think Pelikan should return to it's roots for inspiration.

Happy New Pen Year!🥳

peroride_poty2021.JPG

Alas, the Majohn A1 is far “less good” than I was hoping.

4 hours ago, sansenri said:

nteresting to note your comment on the T5, the N1-S may be a better alternative to look at.

It is, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, sansenri said:

Happy new year!

Happy New Year to you too!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I hope the more experienced writers will indulge me a little. Perhaps they have been here before me.

My favourite fountain pen for 2021, was my Pelikan, steel nib, M205. It wins 'hands down'.

I have a strong feeling it will be for 2022 also because I'm not buying any new pens until I have at least one more of these!

Using this little pen, all year, has been the highlight in my writing journey so far.

Thank you

vf

πTom

Much to my own surprise, the Pelikan M800 with soft F nib that Anabelle customized to a crisp mini-stub, inked with Herbin Vert Atlantide. The Pelikan aesthetic doesn’t appeal to me and neither do their nibs, which write much too wide for my tastes. But after Anabelle ground the nib, I found myself reaching for the M800 more and more and more. Perfect size, shape and weight. Wonderfully concave section. Cleaning is a breeze due to the removable nib/feed/collar unit. Never dries out. Completely reliable and fuss-free. Pelikan may not be my favourite brand but there’s just no denying the top-notch quality of this pen.

14 hours ago, AmandaW said:

My pen of the year is a humble black Kaweko Perkeo with a posting nib (customised by fpnibs). It lives in the pen pocket of a Lihit Lab A5 notebook cover which, with a dot grid Clairefontaine, created a complete kit for bullet journalling. That habit, now 4 months in, has suited me really well. I'm calmer, more organised and the 'thought log' acts as an index to the dense pages of text in my Morning Page journals.

I will upgrade to a Pilot 912 or 742 with a posting nib sometime next year this year, but will be forever grateful to the Perkeo that got me started.

Edited to correct for it being 2022 already. :blush:

ah, interesting. I hadn't though about notebook of the year but might need a separate thread... :)

I just got myself for Christmas a Quo Vadis A6 hard cover notebook , which looks much like a Moleskine, costed less than a Moleskine, and has way better paper than a Moleskine (Clairefontaine paper).

I have not started it yet but it has good chances of becoming a favourite.

I envy your bullet journalling skills, I'm not consistent enough to  reach real organizational benefits, but the simple idea of writing my to dos on non bleedthrough paper relaxes my mind... :D

10 hours ago, Arkanabar said:

I am bound and determined to use up an entire 3oz bottle of Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin, an ink which is obnoxiously difficult to clean out of any pen.  Thus, the only pen that I am willing to risk is my FPR Jaipur 1.0mm stub, orange with black caps.  It's a pen that I know I can take completely to pieces and scrub the bits with a toothbrush.  And it's done remarkably well with this difficult and annoying ink.  Along with an XF Jinhao 51A, it's been one of my two EDC pens all year, especially once I went to work as a new RN.

Looks like a clever little pen.

I'm not into Noodler's, perhaps they are too much out of reach here, so I have not really tried any. Surely for the one you mention "The name says it all".

10 hours ago, peroride said:

This was tough but fun.

None of my higher end pens captured more attention in 2021. Maybe it was a mood. This year was all about practicality and getting back to the office. I needed to write now.

The one that rose to constant use and contentment (no fuss) was the TWSBI Swipe: Great smooth writing, above average capacity, tough, not-break-the-bank pens. Right out of the box, no fussing with nib or filling system, I could throw permanent inks and expend gallons. I even like the useful clip! My first TWSBI developed a crack so the Swipe kinda makes up for that experience. 

Other close 2021 runner ups in descending order that relit appreciation:

• Pilot Kakuno (EF) with the Con-70 easily filled by the TWSBI  Diamond 50 Inkwell with Pilot Blue Black - yes, that specific. Found out that plunging the Con-70 button will slurp ink from the center filling hole of the Diamond 50 Inkwell meant for TWSBI. So awesome, I'm gonna buy more for other inks. Marrying the EF Kakuno line with Con-70 capacity is a journal filler. If I ever get back to Japan, I'm bringing home more Kakunos.
  • Pilot Falcon Black Gold SEF - permainked with Namiki Black. Instant sweet semi-flex (and I have tried many many modern flex) I finally got the hang of filling a Con-40 and that made all the difference. Terrific poster and reeks of quality tradition with black and gold furniture, standing the test of time.
  • Platinum Plaisir (0.3 mm) Amabie - Turns out after buying up a buncha 0.2s Preppies I really enjoy the combo of the standard 0.3 with Platinum Carbon Black waay more. Amabie COVID protection mascot also helps, however irrational.
  • Lamy Aion EF - (Broad pictured) I'm coming around to liking bigger/heavier pens. The Lamy EF was sweet to me, nary an issue and the pen feels like a Sharpie with a B. Makes me even like non-black pens like this Dark Green with Pelikan 4001 Dark Green
  • Pelikan M200 (F) - M200/205 steel nibs for the win! Derby caps for the win! We have a winnah! This older style M200 is kinda like a love child of the newer M200 and M101N in steel and I think Pelikan should return to it's roots for inspiration.

Happy New Pen Year!🥳

peroride_poty2021.JPG

I'll go to your last one straight away, a big favourite of mine, and yes the derby cap version is wonderful, so is the grey marble you are showing. Pelikan has sort of forgotten the grey marble in it's recent pens (blue grey M101N was sort of close but not quite) but this is a wonderfully simple material.
I recently replaced a blue marble derby cap that had deteriorated (actually the pen is quite resistant but the one I had, had been bought cheap and battered, so I think it already had a hairline crack that worsed with time  - actually several years).

5 hours ago, Versofolio said:

I hope the more experienced writers will indulge me a little. Perhaps they have been here before me.

My favourite fountain pen for 2021, was my Pelikan, steel nib, M205. It wins 'hands down'.

I have a strong feeling it will be for 2022 also because I'm not buying any new pens until I have at least one more of these!

Using this little pen, all year, has been the highlight in my writing journey so far.

Thank you

vf

I assure you I'm not surprised! The M200/205 is a great favourite that keeps coming back. I own a number of them, it's almost always the first "serious" pen I recommend to beginner friends.

41 minutes ago, sansenri said:

I assure you I'm not surprised! The M200/205 is a great favourite that keeps coming back. I own a number of them, it's almost always the first "serious" pen I recommend to beginner friends.

Plus, you can get alternative nib units for them so easily! 

This collage shows my new pens for 2021:

Which one of these or my other pens is my POTY? -- This is tough question, although I have to choose not between all of these but only consider two of them: The most beautiful and noticeable is the OMAS Extra Desk Pen with its Bambi figurine and the calendar module on the black base which I turn forward almost every day. 

But when it comes to writing, pages upon pages, I deeply fell in love with the humble, scratched, slightly warped and pretty worn Montblanc Meisterstück 142 that is the first pen on the upper right edge of the notebook.

I just love this pen and its nib! It came to me with a flexy F, but since I prefer stubby nibs I turned it into a flat F/M with a noticeably difference in line width between horizontal and vertical strokes (shown next to its entry with some sample lines). 

This rather small and slim pen fits my hand perfectly, its ink flow is generous and remains that way over pages and pages of even fast scribbles and note taking, and the lines it produces are crisp and reflect the bounce/flex the nib has. It never hard starts or clogs, and due to its wetness all inks, even those that would be too light in many other pens, wotk well and look great. 

Since it is a piston filler with a rather slow working telescopic mechanism, cleaning would be a pain, so I use it with a dedicated (so fall all were blue) ink only, filled into a Pineider Pen Filler or a Visconti Traveling Inkwell, and refill again and again until the 10 ml in the bottle are gone. Only then I clean it and go to a a new ink. 

My log shows me that I used up almost 70 ml of ink in 2021 with this pen only, a fill lasting for 5-8 A5 pages. 

As has been stated before (above), sometimes the pen of the year might not be the newest, shiniest, flashiest even, but the workhorse that gives you joy when using it, writing with it.

I think I only bought two pens in 2021 — trying to show restraint! One of those pens is a Namiki Yukari Royale in vermilion and it has given me a great deal of writing joy. The feel, the size, the look, and the nib are all exceptional. 

Sorry, I'm years beyond buying more pens but enjoying new inks that were not an option for so long. Still, it's fun to see the pleasure folks are getting and all the stuff available.

My pen of the year would be same year after year. My older style vanishing point for the most use and wonderfully working nib,  and/or my classic Parker 75.

I somehow managed to acquire more than an average of one pen per week in 2021 (two of which I'm still waiting for), which is not what I intended when the year started. Most of them are excellent pens. There were two big surprises for me this year, so I'm going to include them both.

Wing Sung 698 with a soft Fine gold nib, piston filler with what seems to be a very large ink capacity (I've had it inked since July). It starts every time no matter how long (a couple of weeks or more) since I last used it. The nib is a little soft and a little bouncy. A pleasure to write with, even as the esthetics are kind of meh. 

Pineider La Grande Bellezza with one of their quill nibs, I think they call it. There are some things about this pen that some people don't like (magnetic cap closure, material and shape of section) but they don't bother me because the nib is the star of the show for me. A Fine that is both wet and truly Fine, it has cutouts but it's not flexy just very soft and bouncy and luscious to write with. It makes me want to write with flourishes. 

My pen resolution for the new year is to finish 2022 with fewer pens than I have today. I won't even say how many fewer, it will be a victory if it is only one (I know my weaknesses). 

Two of 2021's purchases are tied for me.

One is a Diplomat e-lox with a broad nib (steel). Beautiful to look at and the nib is wonderful.

The second, and if I had to pick my winner, would be an Opus 88 Opera with a broad nib. Nice looking feels great in the hand, and one of the smoothest steel nibs I have come across.

I like all my 10 pens in rotation.  Why would I write with it unless I liked it?

Sure, I like the pens I acquired new in 2021: Santini Libra Cumberland Gold and Pelikan M205 Petrol-Marbled but I very much enjoy pens I've had for decades - Pelikam M805 and Waterman Phileas.  I've had an Osmiroid 65 for decades and it usually writes like butter, except when it catches on the upstroke.  The Waterman Expert II is my favorite of the others, but I also like the Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude and Waterman Kultur.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

1 hour ago, Paul-in-SF said:

My pen resolution for the new year is to finish 2022 with fewer pens than I have today. I won't even say how many fewer, it will be a victory if it is only one (I know my weaknesses). 

me too