Waterman's C/F Fountain Pen

donnweinberg

Do check your CF converters. The sacs do perish and I've had converters that looked OK visually, but the sac had holes and leaked, Test them with water before you put ink in them.

G.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Olya

• OldTravelingShoe

• sansenri

A few days ago, I received another C/F, this one the section of which matches the red color of the barrel.  My other C/F fountain pens have either an off-white section or a black section. This new one appears to be NOS, has a gold-plated clip, a 14K medium nib, and the chalk mark showing the nib width and original price of $9.50.  

C:F Red w Red Section - cap off.jpeg

I have been using for a couple of weeks my first C/F (the one originally pictured, with the brownish barrel and off-white section, and a substituted broad-flex nib from the boxed collection of C/F sections also pictured originally).  I am impressed with the pen.  It continues to write immediately and smoothly.  The broad flex nib provides some slight give and some slight shading to my writing.

As I reflect on fountain pens, in a very general sense, I am struck by the fact that a well-maintained pen can last, and provide writing pleasure, for more than a lifetime, perhaps for hundreds of years if handled properly.  Even as more and more is done with a keyboard in our computer-digital age, there always seems to be a place for a good pen in our lives.  

6 hours ago, donnweinberg said:

As I reflect on fountain pens, in a very general sense, I am struck by the fact that a well-maintained pen can last, and provide writing pleasure, for more than a lifetime, perhaps for hundreds of years if handled properly.  Even as more and more is done with a keyboard in our computer-digital age, there always seems to be a place for a good pen in our lives.  

+1. I agree. If you use computers every day there is always somethings to write with a pen,if you do it with a fine fountain pens the better.

My Waterman C/F writes well. I agree the C/F is a desirable pen.

My C/F has a slightly loose nib, so I do not use the pen. It was passed down through the family and is now kept for sentimental reasons.

When it came into my care the pen had been unused for a long time, possibly years. The grip section was completely blocked with dried dark-blue ink residue. Soaked in water and mild detergent for days that blue kept coming out, but the section remained stubornly blocked. Disassembly seemed to be the only solution.

The photos below are an opportunity to see the pen's feed components, and a close-up view of the metal nib.

Note this is the inside gubbins of just one example of a C/F. Unknown date. The engraved ring of text around the metal pen cap reads R.G.P. MADE IN CANADA R.D./55 WATERMAN'S.

The squeeze converter was bought on eBay a few years ago.

The thin bent black piece may appear damaged but is actually in perfect condition. It is a very delicate ebonite (?) capillary feed strip with a precise bend in the centre. (I think the bend ensures that the feed strip presses upwards onto other parts, down at the nib end of things, when assembled.)

large.20201129_163356-01.jpeg.40d009c30999e418266c53f55a454da3.jpeg

large.20201129_163513-01.jpeg.82fcb45640176bc7ca8e3f913277492f.jpeglarge.20201129_164115-01.jpeg.c3d38a79477b0799d861231203c92c0b.jpeg

And another interesting link:

https://vintagepens.com/Waterman_CF.shtml

Edited by dipper
Link added

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I am also the owner of three c/f pens, i just received the red one 3 days ago. It is in a very bad shape (I was aware of that when I made the purchase. I am trying to make the full restoration myself. Could you please advise on how to repaint the barrel? 

20220130_121034.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey, Paul.  On the middle of the three C/F pens, how would you describe the goldish finish of it?  Does it have a pattern (e.g., vertical lines) or is it shiny-without-pattern?  Is there any imprinted wording on the pen's exterior?

@donnweinberg, in @Paul85's photo, when zoomed in, I think I can see a pattern of vertical lines -- four verical lines, gap (shiny part), repeat. 

Your question suggests you know that shiny without pattern Waterman C/F exists, which brings me to my question - perhaps ypu could help identify my pen, which seems to be of this shiny kind? 

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/365753-help-with-identifying-this-waterman-cf-pen/

Thank you and all others who can help. 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:47 AM, donnweinberg said:

As I reflect on fountain pens, in a very general sense, I am struck by the fact that a well-maintained pen can last, and provide writing pleasure, for more than a lifetime, perhaps for hundreds of years if handled properly

Well said, @donnweinberg. I think this is what got me back into fountain pens, during the pandemic - their ability to keep doing their useful bit, beyond a human lifespan. Dependability. 

On 4/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, OldTravelingShoe said:

Your question suggests you know that shiny without pattern Waterman C/F exists, which brings me to my question - perhaps ypu could help identify my pen, which seems to be of this shiny kind? 

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/365753-help-with-identifying-this-waterman-cf-pen/

I went to your link and read the comments there.  There's an extensive article about Waterman's C/F pens in Paul's Fountain Pen Journal, Volume 7, Issue 1 (Fall/Winter 2021), in which at one point it is stated, "During its production life, and especially when it was produced outside the United States, the C/F came in a huge variety of materials and finishes, including plastic, lacquer, stainless steel, and precious metal, and it was available at various price points.  As far as I know, there were no specific model names."  Thus, I would not assume that yours or Paul85's is a prototype, and would think it likely (though not certain) that it is an example of a regular model that is not seen in photos much.  The variety of finishes probably is not captured by any one source.

Many thanks, @donnweinberg, this is most useful. A regular model, produced abroad (France) and forgotten in time due to an abundance of alternatives, is much more credible than a prototype. (Occam's razor.) 

• 2 years later...

I bought a waterman C/F pen long back in a flea market without knowing about C/F.This is a 18 K gold nib and writes beautifully. I had paid 15 euros in a flea market in 2013. 

Fellow FPNer identified it as waterman Goutte. After lot of struggle, one kind FPNer sent me a couple of C/F catridges. Alas, it couldnt be fit. So, this beauty is lying unused for a long time. 

If i get a C/F catridge, I think, i will simply scan and 3D print the same. 

post-80706-0-94670600-1406784661_thumb.jpgpost-80706-0-86479300-1406784675_thumb.jpgpost-80706-0-36099500-1406784691_thumb.jpg