Montegrappa Fortuna Missing Correct Finial?

Keyless Works

I bought this Montegrappa Fortuna from Shopworn on sale for $55. When I got it I noticed the finial is plain which I thought was sort of odd but that is how they show it on their website. When I checked other pictures of this pen it has their typical 1912 finial. Is this a fake? It feels and looks just like the other Fortunas I've seen.  Here is the link to the pen: Fortuna White Interestingly the black version seems to have the normal finial

IMG_6390.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

Offical photo with correct finial :

spacer.png

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keyless Works

• Violet.Ink

• jjpens

• Christinahinks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got two rollers from their bay store, black/black and black/rose gold. They both have the date finial. However, I also got a fountain and ball in white/black and other ball in black/silver  from their website and all of them have the plain finial. I just noticed, after reading your post (I also just got new prescription glasses, so I’m not surprised I didn’t notice before), so thanks for that. I haven’t compared them to an older Fortuna I have, to see if I notice other differences that might help on spotting if they are not genuine. There might be also the possibility that the plain finial is a defect; maybe that’s why they were not sold at their original shop. I bought them before their black Friday special, so paid a bit more than you. I’m really bothered about the black ballpoint, as it was bought as a gift to someone else.

I also purchased the Fortuna from Shopworn. Mine has the same blank finial (missing the 1912 finial). Let me know what you hear from Kenro. I have also reached out directly to Shopworn. I'll let you know what I hear from them.

1 minute ago, jjpens said:

I also purchased the Fortuna from Shopworn. Mine has the same blank finial (missing the 1912 finial). Let me know what you hear from Kenro. I have also reached out directly to Shopworn. I'll let you know what I hear from them.

Will do!

Hello. I also contacted Shopworn. They answered quickly and offered alternatives (have not decided yet). I’m quoting here part of their response: “These are genuine Montegrappa products but we are unaware of why they decided to leave off the finial marker for these specific models…” I also noticed on the Montegrappa “made by you” the option for zodiac signs finials that appear to be engraved and/or painted in a plain finial. They have silver, white gold, and rose gold options for the Extra models. I guess these Fortuna finials might have been some kind of prototypes. I’m too looking forward to your response from Kenro.

Montegrappa got back to Kenro. This was their response:

Hi. Montegrappa confirms this is a authentic Montegrappa pen. It was exclusively produced for the Middle East market. That is why where were not familiar with it.

I appreciate Kenro's quick response. It is always nice to have a reliable domestic distributor.

• 1 year later...

Old thread saved my day! Just received this same pen without the 1912 finial and panicked! 
Thankful for the thread. Thanks!!