Can anyone tell me what plastic Kultur and Phileas sections are made of?

Ink Stained Wretch

Can anyone tell me what plastic the sections of Waterman's Kultur and Phileas fountain pens are made of?

I have cracked sections in each of those fountain pens and I was advised to solvent-weld them. The problem is that I need to know what the plastic is in order to use the right solvent.

I'd posted about this is the Repair forum but no one there seems to know. I'm hoping that someone here may know.

Thanks for any help.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ink Stained Wretch

• Dione

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried solvent welding several Phileas sections when they cracked. It has never worked to stop one leaking at the cracks either side. I believe the product used was MEK.

My recommendation is to try and find a replacement Kultur or Phileas that has a decent section on ebay. That's what I ended up doing. Either that or you could buy a brand new one (quite expensive) from Pentooling.

Just now, Dione said:

I've tried solvent welding several Phileas sections when they cracked. It has never worked to stop one leaking at the cracks either side. I believe the product used was MEK.

Sorry to hear that the attempted repair never worked. I have some methylene chloride that I was told would work, but then others said it wouldn't. So I'm trying to find out just what that plastic is and get the right solvent for it. I'm hoping that I don't need MEK because that stuff is both expensive and toxic. Apparently it's banned in some places.

My recommendation is to try and find a replacement Kultur or Phileas that has a decent section on ebay. That's what I ended up doing. Either that or you could buy a brand new one (quite expensive) from Pentooling.

Part of the issue is that the Phileas has a nice, broad nib and I'd really like to use it again. Pulling a nib and feed from one Phileas section to plug it into another such section is probably not something I'd be good at. Pulling the nib and feed out of the Kultur is how its section got cracked :doh:.

I despair now about ever being able to fix those pens :crybaby:. Maybe I have found a relatively simple problem that can't be fixed.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Pulling a nib and feed out of a Phileas section and refitting it into another section is quite straightforward if you search on here for details on exactly how to do it. It's really easy to pull it out of a cracked section and pushing it back into the correct position in a new section is simple. It will only go back in in one exact position.