• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• Parker51

• sirgilbert357

• sgphototn

1 minute ago, Doctox57 said:

Yup, that is the one "one other place". I had hoped to get one from Appelboom and even asked to be notified when they were back in stock, but I'm starting to think they aren't coming back...because its been awhile.

Given the run on the pen bank, I also bought a "special edition" red tortoiseshell for my wife.  She has a whole flock of Pelikans.  

Our 46th anniversary is coming up, so I guess both can go into that pigeonhole.  

BTW, that's I_guanasell.  Not meant to be a slight, just a typo.

21 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Where did you see some M800's in stock? I want a Stresemann with a broad nib and can't find them anywhere except eBay for silly prices. I did find them ONE other place, but also for a higher price...

Nibsmith.com seems to have what you want in stock. I was able to add an M805 Stresemann with B nib to my shopping cart. Free nib work included, although at this point you can forget about discounts; the retailer isn't profiteering (above the regional distributor's recommended pricing) and you aren't getting the lowest price you think is possible.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Zeichen Center Ebeling in Berlin (zc77.de) also seems to have a decent Pelikan stock at present, including all sizes of Stresemann.

I have purchased a few items from ZC, and they are direct and to the point with their customer service (as one might expect from a big city vendor), but they are competent and their pricing is often (but not always) competitive.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Nibsmith.com seems to have what you want in stock. I was able to add an M805 Stresemann with B nib to my shopping cart. Free nib work included, although at this point you can forget about discounts; the retailer isn't profiteering (above the regional distributor's recommended pricing) and you aren't getting the lowest price you think is possible.

I was dissatisfied with their nib work on a Sailor I bought, so...coupled with the fact that their price is quite a bit higher, I will pass. Thanks for the recommendation. I often forget about them as a vendor. I need to start saving all of the these pen retailers so I can hit each one when I am looking for the best price on an item.

57 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Zeichen Center Ebeling in Berlin (zc77.de) also seems to have a decent Pelikan stock at present, including all sizes of Stresemann.

I have purchased a few items from ZC, and they are direct and to the point with their customer service (as one might expect from a big city vendor), but they are competent and their pricing is often (but not always) competitive.

OK, do you just speak that language, or you using some translation software to navigate their website? I found the M805 Stresemanns and it looks like it would come out to about 430.00 USD. That would be fantastic, if I hadn't placed an order for one last night at 520.00 USD.

😒

1 hour ago, sirgilbert357 said:

OK, do you just speak that language, or you using some translation software to navigate their website? I found the M805 Stresemanns and it looks like it would come out to about 430.00 USD. That would be fantastic, if I hadn't placed an order for one last night at 520.00 USD.

😒

Can you cancel your order?

I do read/speak German, but I believe there is an English-language side to the website (click on the Union Jack at the upper right corner of the site), and the navigation and webshop is pretty straightforward.

365.55€ for and M805 Stresemann (without VAT)

403.36€ for an EF,

so yea, about US$430 at current exchange rates, plus shipping.

The folks I have dealt with directly have been efficient in processing my order, and in one case did a great job of working out a glitch in the payment processing system.

If I remember correctly, on my last order I paid maybe 25€ for shipping to the US.

On 7/13/2021 at 2:18 PM, Karmachanic said:

And then there's Richemont ....

and LVMH... They can sell a lot of LV, Christian Dior, Givenchy pens along with diamond studded Pelikans.  :lol:

On 7/18/2021 at 11:21 PM, Uncial said:

....and here I was popping back into this thread about Pelikan but its yet another thread highjacked by pedants arguing economics....and toasters...and Mexican cars...and Doc Martens....I swear, I don't think I've ever seen so many threads repeatedly hijacked to talk economics on a single forum.

The pen and inks purchased from reviews on FPN are used to pen down thoughts on 'globalization and economic principles/theories', which then are shared with the FPN community on every occasion. 

It is a fine line between hijacking a thread and sharing thoughts on a somewhat connected topic in a roundabout manner.  :D

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

6 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

I was dissatisfied with their nib work on a Sailor I bought,

Sorry to hear that. Dan's work on the Pelikan M600 I bought from him made that nib one of my favourites. The magic wasn't quite repeated on my second order, for an Aurora, but it was still OK and I was glad to have the nib customised even so.

6 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

so...coupled with the fact that their price is quite a bit higher, I will pass. Thanks for the recommendation. I often forget about them as a vendor.

What's really stopping me from even browsing there any more are the ever-increasing delivery charges quoted. I'm not going to pay US$85 for USPS shipping for a ~US$450(±150) purchase order, then add insurance, all the while dealing with what comes across as an attitude of, “If you don't pay expressly for insurance and the package is damaged in transit, it's not my problem and I don't care; talk to the hand.” The same apparent attitude has caused me to turn off the tap completely on a Florida-based retailer with whom I bought plenty of pens previously; I'd rather ‘miss out’ on a limited edition that nobody else seems to stock or offer, than accept all the risk and compromise on my end.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

8 hours ago, 1nkulus said:

and LVMH... They can sell a lot of LV, Christian Dior, Givenchy pens along with diamond studded Pelikans.  :lol:

The pen and inks purchased from reviews on FPN are used to pen down thoughts on 'globalization and economic principles/theories', which then are shared with the FPN community on every occasion. 

It is a fine line between hijacking a thread and sharing thoughts on a somewhat connected topic in a roundabout manner.  :D

Actually the toaster example was related to the topic. It was as indicated made in Mexico, by a German Company and sold tariff free in the US market. Please also note there is a significant automobile manufacturing establishment in Mexico and this includes German manufactures as well as Italian ( I own a European designed & historically sold automobile that was made in Mexico, a Fiat 500).

Another poster from Mexico at one point indicated that Pelikan has a long history of selling in Mexico, including in an earlier period when other Pen Companies were not.

Pelikan is having financial difficulties the subject of this thread.

A possible solution would be for them to locate some of their production in Mexico as some other German (and other European) Manufacturers have done.

Quality would be able to be maintained, costs would be lower, intellectual property would be respected and protected and it would eliminate tariffs on pens being sold in North America.

A perfect solution, no. A good one, yes.

2 hours ago, Parker51 said:

Actually the toaster example was related to the topic. It was as indicated made in Mexico, by a German Company and sold tariff free in the US market. Please also note there is a significant automobile manufacturing establishment in Mexico and this includes German manufactures as well as Italian ( I own a European designed & historically sold automobile that was made in Mexico, a Fiat 500).

Another poster from Mexico at one point indicated that Pelikan has a long history of selling in Mexico, including in an earlier period when other Pen Companies were not.

Pelikan is having financial difficulties the subject of this thread.

A possible solution would be for them to locate some of their production in Mexico as some other German (and other European) Manufacturers have done.

Quality would be able to be maintained, costs would be lower, intellectual property would be respected and protected and it would eliminate tariffs on pens being sold in North America.

A perfect solution, no. A good one, yes.

Speaking at least for the USA, in the last tariff schedule I looked at, the import duty on fountain pens was something like 1.56%. I can’t imagine Mexico or Canada being much different. I am not sure tariffs are contributing in any great way to North American retail pricing or any other major financial issues for fountain pens being sold in North America. I am quite sure shipping costs are not.

Pelikan’s current issues may well be rooted elsewhere. From what I have seen so far, it is not even clear (at least not to me) that the root of Pelikan’s problem lies in the fine writing instruments division, or with production location.

What is unfortunate is that the fine writing instruments division does seem to be suffering as a result of Pelikan’s corporate problems, which is disappointing for us FP fans.

11 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

What's really stopping me from even browsing there any more are the ever-increasing delivery charges quoted. I'm not going to pay US$85 for USPS shipping for a ~US$450(±150) purchase order, then add insurance, all the while dealing with what comes across as an attitude of, “If you don't pay expressly for insurance and the package is damaged in transit, it's not my problem and I don't care; talk to the hand.” The same apparent attitude has caused me to turn off the tap completely on a Florida-based retailer with whom I bought plenty of pens previously; I'd rather ‘miss out’ on a limited edition that nobody else seems to stock or offer, than accept all the risk and compromise on my end.

So you want the vendor to cover all of the shipping costs, insurance charges and risks, and the cost of paying someone to package the item (at a minimum wage of at least $15/hr), while selling the pen at a significantly discounted price?  

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

2 minutes ago, Ron Z said:

So you want the vendor to cover all of the shipping costs, insurance charges and risks, and the cost of paying someone to package the item (at a minimum wage of at least $15/hr), while selling the pen at a significantly discounted price?

Considering that Cult Pens and La Couronne du Comte — among others — are offering that time and again, yes, for US-based retailers to remain competitive in a global market, that's what I expect.

27 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Considering that Cult Pens and La Couronne du Comte — among others — are offering that time and again, yes, for US-based retailers to remain competitive in a global market, that's what I expect.

AFAIK, the US retailers were rarely in contention short of a promotion/clearance considering the number of buyers ordering from UK/Europe esp. European pen brands.

Brexit seems to have thrown a spanner in the works, sadly.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

37 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

When one considers the 21st century sales environment, combined with the 19th century distribution methods being employed in some parts of the world (somehow perhaps quaintly appropriate for fountain pens), your expectations may well, in at least the near term, be dashed... 😛 

14 minutes ago, N1003U said:

When one considers the 21st century sales environment, combined with the 19th century distribution methods being employed in some parts of the world (somehow perhaps quaintly appropriate for fountain pens), your expectations may well, in at least the near term, be dashed... 😛 

Fortunately, there are plenty of others who have spruced up their act.  :P

Engineer :

1 hour ago, 1nkulus said:

AFAIK, the US retailers were rarely in contention short of a promotion/clearance considering the number of buyers ordering from UK/Europe esp. European pen brands.

Brexit seems to have thrown a spanner in the works, sadly.

The current global pricing structure of some pen manufacturers does indeed seem to encourage a flow of grey market pens. When I can buy ex-USA from an overseas retailer (including VAT and shipping) for, say, 25% or 30% less than I can buy in the US (excluding VAT), it is a no brainer. When I consider the tax advantages of excluding the foreign VAT (say another 20(ish)% discount on top of the already lower price), buying from a US retailer gets even more difficult, regardless of how much I may like them personally, and taking into account much higher shipping costs. So I have to wait a few more days for the goods to arrive, and warranty issues, if any, might be more difficult. In my calculation, it still doesn't nearly cover the difference.

Example: a Pelikan M200 can often be had for (more or less) half price buying out of Europe vs. from a retailer in the USA. If the 25EUR to 30EUR shipping charges for a $100 pen are off-putting, consider that is still quite a savings, and one can always buy an extra pen or two or three in the same shipment (make a joint buy with friends, perhaps) and spread out the shipping costs to make them reasonable.

31 minutes ago, 1nkulus said:

Fortunately, there are plenty of others who have spruced up their act.  :P

Indeed. Profiting from the laziness and/or stubbornness of others is an age old tradition.

6 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Indeed. Profiting from the laziness and/or stubbornness of others is an age old tradition.

You snooze, you lose and it applies to both buyers and retailers.  :D

Look hard enough and you will eventually find what you want at a price you are willing to pay.

Patience, sadly, seems to be a dwindling virtue.

Engineer :