Waterman Carene, Lamy 2000 or Parker Sonnet steel nib

Icarusflies

41 minutes ago, jvr said:

Ah, now you’re also asking about the Pilot VP. I used to have two of them and sold them both. They look nice, but I never used them because to me they felt uncomfortable to hold. 

Thanks 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icarusflies

• sirgilbert357

• sandy101

• maclink

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Carene and the Lamy 2000. The Carene I have is a very smooth writer as is the Lamy. Asthetically both very different. Different "character'.

3 hours ago, ENIAC said:

You couldn't pay me enough to write with a Lamy 2000 again.  I've never used a pen with such a slippery section in my life, except maybe those Pilot Varsity disposables.  I either sold mine or gave it away to someone I hated at the time -- can't remember that far back.  I have 2 Sonnets and a Carene (somewhere in this mess).  I'm pretty "meh" about them.  They're perfectly serviceable pens, reasonably comfortable, and write well, but neither one gives my nasty bits a jolly tingle or makes me happy I was born or anything of that sort.

LOL. Had me laughing...this post is full of quotable bits.

You want a slippery pen? Try the Conklin Endura Abalone. I have a Lamy 2000 and it's velcro and duct tape compared to that Conklin...

I would go for the Lamy 2K, parlty because you do not appear to have a piston filler and also because it is a very good pen. A fll will last two weeks and the hooded nib has a nice springy sensation.

The nib on your #3776 and AL is better than the (steel) nib on the Sonnet, so you won't gain anything from it.

The Carene is nice, but the inlaid nib means you have to take a higher grip. It is a nice pen, and a nice writer. It is the heaviest of the three. In my experience Waterman nibs tend to be wiider than most. The medium is closer to a broad than most brands.

You are right, I do not have a piston filler. I am very intrigued about the 2000. By the pictures I am not attracted to it but most people love it so I am intrigued.

Is there a pen show or club close to you?

Then you can handle the Carene or the Lamy 2K before you buy. 

1 hour ago, Icarusflies said:

You are right, I do not have a piston filler. I am very intrigued about the 2000. By the pictures I am not attracted to it but most people love it so I am intrigued.

There Pelikan M200 series offers a piston filler option with more attractive appearance. Many love them as well. 🙃 

If you’re not liking the look of the Lamy 2K then that sounds like a potential red flag considering that there are so many other options to consider. Is it that you are specifically looking for a slip cap option with a zeppelin profile?

1 hour ago, sandy101 said:

Is there a pen show or club close to you?

Then you can handle the Carene or the Lamy 2K before you buy. 

there is a store where I can see a Lamy 2000 but not the Carene. Might go this afternoon. I can get a lamy for Euros 135 which is a good deal I think and a Carene for Euros 171 which is less of a good deal. At the same price I would go for the Carene. 

2 minutes ago, maclink said:

There Pelikan M200 series offers a piston filler option with more attractive appearance. Many love them as well. 🙃 

If you’re not liking the look of the Lamy 2K then that sounds like a potential red flag considering that there are so many other options to consider. Is it that you are specifically looking for a slip cap option with a zeppelin profile?

I don t mind the screw on cap. The lamy just looks on pictures like a Euros 20 pen....I am sure once you have it in hand is another story. 

8 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

You want a slippery pen? Try the Conklin Endura Abalone. I have a Lamy 2000 and it's velcro and duct tape compared to that Conklin...

I looked for a pic online and found one.  That section -- Yikes.  I see what you mean.  To (loosely) quote that famous Canadian philosopher Avril Lavigne, "What the hell were they thinking?!?"

The Carene has a massive 18K gold nib, the Lamy 2K a tiny 14K nib, which will affect the price. 

3 hours ago, Icarusflies said:

Why would you buy a pen that does not appeal to you? My Lamy 2000 is one of the few pens I have sold away because I did not like it once I wrote with it. The tapered section bothered me. But at least I liked the design. If the design is not appealing to you, don't buy the pen. It's not that great a pen. 

1 hour ago, ENIAC said:

I looked for a pic online and found one.  That section -- Yikes.  I see what you mean.  To (loosely) quote that famous Canadian philosopher Avril Lavigne, "What the hell were they thinking?!?"

Yeah...it's ridiculous. And it's not QUITE 10 mm, so it's smallish and harder to hold onto. Having said that, I still love the pen and am using it, but the section is wrapped in scotch tape for now to give it more grip, LOL.

I emailed Conklin asking for a spare section. If they will let me buy one, I plan to put one of them in my drill and spin it while using some steel wool to give it a "brushed" finish. If I screw it up (or it's chrome plated instead of polished steel, and I ruin the plating), at least I will have a spare section to revert back to.

In my indecision, I actually bought TWO of these pens too. I really wanted the Goulet exclusive with the chrome trim but it was sold out...so I bought the one with the dark gunmetal finish. A week or two later, the Goulet exclusive ones restocked. I decided to get the one I really wanted and now have two. Not sure what I'll do with the other one...

2 hours ago, maclink said:

And if so, look at the Diplomat Aero too. Section is thinner than an L2K, but I love mine. It's a bit heavier than an L2K, just FYI...if you are sensitive to weight, you'll want to look up their specs and compare them.

Currently using white Nemosine with a .6mm cursive italic nib (Diamine Sapphire ink) and a blue Kaigelu 315 with a fine nib and KWZ Red ink.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”