Talk me out of buying a Conway Stewart Winston

markofp

3 hours ago, markofp said:

Damn straight they shouldn't. I almost sold it as I was unimpressed with the nib both in appearance and writing quality. But just this last weekend I gave it to Mark Bacus at the DC Pen Show and he unleashed 10 minutes of hell on it, and now it's nice 'n smooth. 

This is an issue with JoWo nibs in general, I find. I don't have a single one that didn't benefit from some smoothing and tuning, whereas my Pilots have all been great right out of the box. It puts me off many start-up pen makers that use JoWo nibs, and there's an awful lot of them.

Interesting.  I must be very lucky.  I have a number of modern Conway Stewart pens and have had no issues with their nibs. in fact, I am awaiting another, a Belliver, from them as we speak.  Admittedly, each of the one's I have already has a medium nib since I prefer medium and broad nibs.  The Belliver will have a broad nib.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParramattaPaul

• markofp

• Targa

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, markofp said:

Damn straight they shouldn't. I almost sold it as I was unimpressed with the nib both in appearance and writing quality. But just this last weekend I gave it to Mark Bacus at the DC Pen Show and he unleashed 10 minutes of hell on it, and now it's nice 'n smooth. 

This is an issue with JoWo nibs in general, I find. I don't have a single one that didn't benefit from some smoothing and tuning, whereas my Pilots have all been great right out of the box. It puts me off many start-up pen makers that use JoWo nibs, and there's an awful lot of them.

He does great work; I know ome people ship all their new purchases directly to him.  I only send the ones I'm unhappy with.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence