Help identifying a pen

Diver

Hi Guys and Gals.

I wonder if any of you can help in providing some information of this pen?

The pen was shown to me recently by a retired Gentleman, who is a volunteer engineer at the local aircraft museum, in Newark on Trent.  He has had this for a lot of years, residing in the back of a drawer, previously owned by another family member.  The conversation pretty much came about by accident, as we usually talk about his fixing of vintage aircraft, but for some reason, I had just mentioned that I owned a few pens!

I digress.  On my next visit (which was last week), he had brought the pen in to show me, stuffed in his work overalls pocket…  I had a look, and it is some sort of Onoto, with a number 3 nib.  The body looks and feels like an acrylic material, but could be anything (not an expert in any way shape or form) with a well worn silver overlay.  The filling mechanism seem jammed solid, the plunger was pulled gently until it stopped, which was not very far.  No forcing, just moved so I could take a picture.

I have looked over the internet, and multiple pages on FPN, but not managed to ID the pen, or get any ballpark date on it.  I have no idea if it is valuable, or just worth a few pennies, but have advised that he takes it out of his coveralls and keeps it in some safer place for now!

Many Thanks!

P4180048.jpeg

P4180053.jpeg

P4180056.jpeg

P4180059.jpeg

P4180060.jpeg

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diver

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am by no means an Onoto expert, but it certainly shouldn't be rattling around in a set of overalls! It's a hard rubber pen, heavily oxidised (I quite like the colour, but that's a personal thing) but the overlay looks in good condition as does the nib, and I'd hazard a guess that it's a later 3000 - but please let someone with more knowledge (or a copy of the Stephen Hull book) answer that definitively! Is there any marking on the knob (either numbers or a single letter?)

There may well be a hallmark which should make dating it very straightforward, but it's almost certainly due a telegram from the Queen (or is it a text message these days?).

Definitely worth restoring.

Hi Mizgeorge.

Many thanks for the information.  I never thought to check for a hallmark, I will definitely ask him, when I next get to the air museum.  I am not sure if I managed to se it/photograph it.  I thought it was old when I picked it up to photograph it, but wow.  The pen is incredibly light and it felt quite delicate in the hand, so I truly did advise him to put it away somewhere safe, dark, dry, and away from any chemicals.

It's definitely the oldest pen I have ever handled, with my own oldest pen being a youthful 30 years old.

Many thanks again for spending time to help, I will feed this back at the earliest chance I get to drive there.

Dave.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig