Lamy 2000 2021 edition?

Calabria

Looking at photos like this one:

lamy-2000-writing-samples-all-nib-sizes-

And other close-ups of the nibs, it seems to me that the nib shapes aren't your typical ballpoint tipping style. I could see the case for an Architect-ish grind for the EF. The F and the M are closest to "ball", but seem still somewhat distinct. They all seem to be more "flat" and stub like in their shape than other nibs I've seen. 

But just having that shape doesn't mean they will write with line variation. I'm specifically pointing to the unique feel of the nibs because of that shape, not saying that you'll get much line variation, especially given their level of wetness. They do seem like reasonably wet pens IME. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• sirgilbert357

• maclink

• arcfide

1 hour ago, maclink said:

It’s interesting that yours comes with a F nib. Even the Blue Bauhaus came with an EF nib.

No, but it's interesting that your brown LE Lamy 2000 came with an EF nib.

As far as I know, the Lamy 2000 blue Bauhaus LE was only released pre-fitted with EF nibs, and the brown LE only released pre-fitted with F nibs.

1 hour ago, arcfide said:

They do seem like reasonably wet pens IME.

Wetter than all other Lamy Z5* nibs, at least when it comes to EF nibs.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351043-brief-comparison-of-various-lamy-extra-fine-nibs-output/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, arcfide said:

Looking at photos like this one:

lamy-2000-writing-samples-all-nib-sizes-

And other close-ups of the nibs, it seems to me that the nib shapes aren't your typical ballpoint tipping style. I could see the case for an Architect-ish grind for the EF. The F and the M are closest to "ball", but seem still somewhat distinct. They all seem to be more "flat" and stub like in their shape than other nibs I've seen. 

But just having that shape doesn't mean they will write with line variation. I'm specifically pointing to the unique feel of the nibs because of that shape, not saying that you'll get much line variation, especially given their level of wetness. They do seem like reasonably wet pens IME. 

I know what you mean by the look of the nib grinds. Two thoughts come to mind:

- How old is that image you posted? It’s a nice one and not easily/willingly updated. It could have been in circulation for over a decade and the nib grinds changed by Lamy to one with less of a ‘sweet spot’. The Lamy sweet spot issue is/was a common complaint among users. I haven’t noted it with these recently acquired nibs. 

- The line variation in the EF to M nibs may be so subtle that it will only show up when the ink flow is just right and not too generous. Ink and paper choice will affect this. 

My first Lamy 2k I bought before moving to the UK. It’s in a case with other pens in a box, deep in my garage. I don’t know where. Anyway, I got it about 10 yrs ago and it had a very expressive EF nib that I liked a lot. It definitely gave a line variation to my writing. The grinds may have changed a bit. Sales are so on edge that you can’t be telling prospective users that have ballpoints and other FP alternatives that they need to hold a L2k a particular way for it to write. 

I was wondering...

Blue--> EF

Brown--> F

Green--> M

Orange--> B

Pink/Purple--> BB

Red--> OM

White--> OB

Yellow--> OBB

Why not !

LYTH

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/LYTH1/031.jpg

Hm that progression in size could well make sense!  I'd love to see a dark maroon Lamy 2000 or a dark teal one.  For the last one they could do a demonstrator.

I do wish there were more line variation in the smaller nibs.  My EFs wrote fairly rounded lines, and the reason I ended up sending the one I kept to a nibmeister is to add some line variation, so smaller size writing would be more legible.  Ink does play a significant role on visibility of line variation in small stubs and cursive italics: even though my EF is a fine crisp cursive italic now and is able to show a good amount of line variation, some inks make it write like a rounded stub at best.   I guess I'll see what the F on the Brown 2000 is like soon, as I just got a shipping notification.  But tentatively planning out a nib grind for it already.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

The "F" and "EF" nibs on the 2000 have this 'triangular' shaped tipping thing going on. (I do have a picture of it somewhere on the forum.)

The "M" nib is the only round nib size that is available on the 2000.

Hm not sure about triangular.   There has been an evolution of tipping grinds for 2000s over time.  Older 2000s are not the same as the most recent grinds.  Here's one of my recent EFs--if anything it's slightly more architect-like, depending on writing angle.  But really subtly so.

XT2S4467small.thumb.jpg.60d841effbe174150d1a26353e0f9613.jpg

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

3 minutes ago, Intensity said:

Hm not sure about triangular.   There has been an evolution of tipping grinds for 2000s over time.  Older 2000s are not the same as the most recent grinds.  Here's one of my recent EFs--if anything it's slightly more architect-like, depending on writing angle.  But really subtly so.

XT2S4467small.thumb.jpg.60d841effbe174150d1a26353e0f9613.jpg

Not from that angle, but head on.

Not exactly 'triangular' or the sharpest of architect grinds, but it is there and I found it noticeable.

(I don't own a 2000 anymore, so my memory is somewhat fuzzy, to say the least.)

I see, well, in my writing there was no noticeable line variation with various inks.  I own recent production Lamy 2000 EFs (past couple of years).  When I drew horizontal and vertical test lines, there was a really minor difference, but so small that it was not visible in cursive writing.  Less than a stub would have.  There was more difference to the line thickness just from pressing more or less into the paper on upstrokes vs. downstrokes.  So whatever the shape is: triangular or round, it didn't make any difference in my writing.  Now that my EF is actually a really fine cursive italic, I can definitely see line variation.

4 hours ago, Intensity said:

Here's one of my recent EFs--if anything it's slightly more architect-like, depending on writing angle. 

I took to looking at my EF, F and M nibs.  They are the same shape but with a wider tip.  The jump from F to M to more than from EF to F in terms of dimensions.  I would imagine that from M to B with that shape will lead to a stub-like line variation that is not as subtle or insignificant as with the others.