Dating Pelikan fountain Pen

tacitus

I haven’t stopped by this forum in a long while and returning and finding this thread has been stupendous. Thank you Tacitus and all others who have contributed to all the investigating and documenting.  You guys have cleared up numerous questions I’ve had about the evolution of pelikan pens. 

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tacitus

• stoen

• christof

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm starting to post IBIS pens. The second generation will be model IBIS 130 reintroduced in 1949.

First generation

IBIS (130) (ca.1936)

Cap top; material: ebonite, shape: conical, flat cap top edge, logo: "PATENT・IBIS・PATENT・IBIS "(1) on the lateral side.

Cap tube; material: celluloid(2), shape: 2 vent holes (one hole facing each other), "IBIS" imprint (Fig.11)one gold plated narrow band, ring groove around the inner wall.

Clip; shapegold plated diamond clip.

Nib; material: 14 ct gold, shape: round vent hole, logo:

IBIS

14 KARAT

Feed; material: ebonite, shape: slanted tail, three lamellae with the recess.

Nib socket; material: ebonite. short (12 mm).

Grip section; material: bakelite, shape: inclined top edge, tapered grip section.

Barrel; material: transparent celluloid, painted black from inside (Fig.11).

Filling systemmaterial: ebonite with cork seal, shape: conical partially knurled turning knob.

Dimensions;(a)ink chamber volume

Total            Cap              Barrel          Barrel         Cap           Ink               Total

length          length          length          width         width        capacity(a)     weight    

114.5 mm    53.5 mm     91.5 mm      11 mm        12 mm      1.2 ml         12 g 

In 1936, model IBIS was introduced as the second economy model (the first: Rappen) (Green book)(3). Like "Pelikan", the model was named after the name of a bird(4, 5). Its slogan was "EiFüllhalter niederer Preislage, aber gut, zuverlässig und betriebssicher; Pelikan catalog No.70 (1938)."(6)

IBIS is similar to that of its predecessor Rappen in shape. It comes between Rappen and Pelikan in length (IBIS is 2mm longer than Rappen and 2mm shorter than 100). The outer and inner diameter of the barrel is same as Rappen and 100, and fits the filling mechanism of 100 (DO NOT try!!!).  The section also takes the socket of 100. As the pen doesn't have a sleeve or "binde", the body is slimmer than 100 by the sleeve width of 100. The barrel has a small step near the section (Fig.9 arrow). Having the same size and shape as IBIS, piston filler Rappen (1937) is sort of its variant.

What should be noted is the color of the barrel. According to Christof Zollinger (Fountain Pen Board), original IBIS was blackened inside of the barrel with sort of a paint. Most of them have decolored over time and look like a demonstrator (Fig.7). The ink window has been stained with ink and/or discolored by sun light. Please see Fig.11 for the images closer to the original barrel. 

The filling mechanism itself is same as that of 100. The notch in the piston guide suggests that it was produced around 1937 (here) (Fig.9 arrow head).

The nib imprint has millesimal fineness, which conforms to the nibs of other models made in 1937 and after. There is no nib specification on nib or anywhere else.

My pen has an unusual cap clip ending in a diamond shaped point. The clip of this style is attributed to Günther Wagner’s Gdańsk-Wrzeszcz (German: Danzig-Langfuhr) plant production, and it is often referred to as "Danzig clip" (Pelikan’s Perch). What model(s) had been produced in the plant is still controversial (Pelikan’s Perch). Comparing the lengths of clips (Fig.11), the clip seems to be original for this model. The cap tube is adorned with a single cap ring like Rappen. My pen has no vent holes nor "IBIS" imprint on it (Fig.9).

In summary, IBIS was the "hybrid" of "Rappen" and "Pelikan". While assuming the appearance of "Rappen", the model carried the "Pelikan" filling mechanism. Although it was the economy model, IBIS had no less quality than the flagship Pelikan. 

Note;(1)We can see that "IBIS" was patented as a brand name like "Pelikan" and "Rappen". Why the name is all in CAPITAL LETTERS is not clear.

(2)Ebonite was also possible for material (Green book).

(3)The price was around 7.50 RM (Reichsmark), not too dissimilar from that of Rappen (Pelikan’s Perch). 

(4)Ibis are a group of long-legged wading birds belonging to the family Threskiornithidae, that inhabit wetlands, forests and plains. The family Threskiornithidae belongs to the order Pelecaniformes. The order also includes the family Pelecanidae. So, ibis are biologically related to pelicans.

(5)According to WikipediaRappen also has something to do with the name of birds. The origin of the term can be traced back to the Rappenpfennig, a form of the penny minted in Freiburg im Breisgau in the 13th century featuring an eagle, which later on was interpreted to depict a raven (German Rabe; the word is thus a cognate of its German homophone Rappen referring to a "raven"-black horse).

(6)"A fountain pen of good quality, moderate in price and reliable in usePelikan catalog No.75 (1939)."

Fig.1. The nib of IBIS (ca.1936).
01.JPG.cad4dcb0fd5eef32523dd76afdf1d885.JPG

Fig.2. The feed of IBIS (ca.1936).

02.JPG.de7471b9bbe2d28c311ccb4b2c0235bd.JPG

Fig.3.IBIS (ca.1936) with the cap posted.

03.JPG

Fig.4. IBIS (ca.1936) with the cap closed.

04.JPG

Fig.5. The cap top of IBIS (ca.1936).

07-3.JPG

Fig.6. The clip of IBIS (ca.1936).

09.JPG

Fig.7. The barrel and the section of IBIS (ca.1936).

13-1.JPG.86ac1febb170198947a410cee7639b5a.JPG

Fig.8. The turning knob of IBIS (ca.1936). It is partially knurled (arrow).

11-2.JPG

Fig.9. The exploded view of IBIS (ca.1936). O-ring instead of cork is installed  as the seal.12-5.JPG

Fig.10. Prewar Günter Wagner fountain pen family. From left to right; Rappen (ca.1932), Rappen (ca.1937), IBIS (ca.1936), Pelikan100 (ca.1937), and Pelikan100N (ca.1937).

14-2.JPG

Fig.11. IBIS (ca.1936).

pelikan-ibis-1936-rare-near-mint-condition_1_e1a13f58dce0f5cb5edb2fdf0b92e120 (1).jpgpelikan-ibis-1936-rare-near-mint-condition_1_e1a13f58dce0f5cb5edb2fdf0b92e120 (2).jpgpelikan-ibis-1936-rare-near-mint-condition_1_e1a13f58dce0f5cb5edb2fdf0b92e120 (3).jpgpelikan-ibis-1936-rare-near-mint-condition_1_e1a13f58dce0f5cb5edb2fdf0b92e120.jpg

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

Addendum to IBIS (130) (ca.1936)

I forgot to mention its model number. As seen in catalogs (Pelikan catalog No.70 (1938)Pelikan catalog No.75 (1939)), IBIS was advertised as "IBIS fountain pen", independently of "Pelikan fountain pen". IBIS was model No.130(1). When IBIS was introduced, Pelikan model No.100, 101, 110, 111, and 112 were already on the market. Why IBIS was No.130, not No.120? I don't have any source, but my guess is that Rappen should have been model No.120, so model No.120 was skipped. Any thoughts?

Note; (1)IPelikan catalog No.70/8 (1951), IBIS appeared as "Pelikan fountain pen" model No.130 IBIS.

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

First generation

IBIS (130) (ca.1937)

When IBIS was introduced, warfare hacast a shadow over the company’s history (The Pelikan’s Perch). Shortage and rationing had already begun. The economy model IBIS was the first to suffer the effects(1). In order to conserve gold for the war effort, IBIS for the domestic market(2) was equipped with palladium “Pd” nibs (Fig.1) as of February 1937, the next year of its introduction.

I don't own any IBIS with Pd nibs, but it seems that several minor modifications were made in 1937 (or the next). In line with model 100, the recess in the middle lamella (Fig.2 arrow) disappeared from the feed (Pelikan-collectibles). The piston guide was equipped with a notch or ridge (Pelikan 100 (ca.1938)) (3) instead of a small pin.

Note;(1)In the next year (May 16, 1938), models 100 and 100N were fitted with Pd nibs (Green book, The Pelikan’s Perch).

(2)IBIS with gold nibs was still exported to earn foreign currencies.

(3)The notch (ridge) fits in the groove on the piston rod, prevents the piston rod from rotating, and converts the rotation of the turning knob to the forward and backward movement of the piston rod. Please see Pelikan fountain pen (ca.1929).

nib-ibis-pd.jpg.a76c4fd1cf20e70069ad9073994cb134.jpg

Fig.2. The feed of IBIS. top; ca.1936, bottom; ca.1949.

image.jpg.a20268cfbbcafb9729c84e1d36d385c5.jpg

Fig.3. Posters of IBIS. The date of posters is not known. Judging from the price of IBIS, it seems a while after 1936.

image(1).jpg.dc97d7438f4b046660e73b382ad38851.jpg

First generation
IBIS (ca.1939)

Toward the end of 1930's, Gunter Wagner made major changes in specifications.

Firstly, the company switched the material from ebonite to celluloid (or cellulose acetate), which occurred first in cap tubes, then cap tops, finally filling mechanisms. "By 1939, ebonite was gone from Pelikan pens (Pelikan History)". I suppose the similar switch was made in IBIS; as of 1939, IBIS would be made of celluloid (or cellulose acetate) except for metal parts and the nib unit.
Secondly, the material of nibs was changed. In October 1939, the government forbade the use of palladium nibs for the domestic market. Günter Wagner was forced to use chromium/nickel (CN) - steel nib (Fig.1 leftmost) as from November 11 1939 (Green Book, Pelikan-guide).
Thirdly, the black synthetic plastic seal was introduced⁽¹⁾.
In addition, "IBIS" imprint disappeared from the cap tube (Pelikan-collectibles).
Fig.2 is the "NOS” IBIS. It is made of marbled celluloid with CN nib and a black synthetic plastic seal⁽¹⁾. Turning knob is smooth⁽²⁾ (Fig.3). CN nib is gold-plated⁽³⁾. Judging from information above, it may be the production of 1939 or later. Marble color IBIS will be covered later.
Under the strained situation of WWII, Günter Wagner innovated the injection molded acrylic plastic body in early 1940's. It was used for model 100 and 100N. Whether the new body was used for IBIS is unknown. Fig.4 is the model IBIS with CN nib (Pelikan-collectibles). The the inner threads (Fig.4 arrow) seems to be seen through the gri
p section, which suggests that it is the injection molded acrylic plastic (Pelikan-collectibles).

In 1942, the production of IBIS was interrupted (Pelikan-collectibles) prior to model 100 and 100N.

Note;⁽¹⁾Although not specified in the sources, the year of its introduction seems to be early 1940's. As some 100 with Pd nib and IBIS have both black synthetic plastic seal and old knurled turning knob, it may further date back (before 1940).
⁽²⁾As the delicate groove of the knurled turning knob was difficult to produce with celluloid, the turning knob became smooth (Green Book).
⁽³⁾We can confirm that at least early CN nibs were gold-plated.

Fig.1

The nibs of IBIS.

image.thumb.jpg.0121cddd0b624900584327d4b1da4fb2.jpg

Fig.2

IBIS (ca.1939). By courtesy of Christof Zollinger.

1877505754_image(4).jpg.ac0d3542c29a4e8273a9737d022bb43f.jpg

Fig.3

Turning knob of IBIS. Left; ca.1936, right ca.1939 (Pelikan-collectibles).

138996855_image(1).thumb.jpg.82918dd361222953674a20e81d7402d4.jpg

Fig.4

IBIS with CN nib.

283458124_image(2).jpg.860496ab8859b3532c5245fe78a8e83d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
IBIS (marble color) - the first generation

Marble color IBIS may be well-known to Pelikan pen lovers, but information on it is limited. There were three (four) colors; gray, red, green, (deep green) for the pen (Green book, Pelikan-collectibles). The production period is unclear (according to Pelikan-collectibles, it was 1936-1942). As "NOS" IBIS in Fig.2 has CN nib. So, we can tell that marble color IBIS was still produced in wartime. According to Pelikan-collectibles, marble color IBIS was destined for the export market. 

The most striking feature is its body. The construction of the barrel is completely different from other Pelikan pens. But, it was rather commonly made, as other manufacturers did (e.g. Kaweco, Soennecken and OSMIA): marble celluloid is welded with transparent celluloid. That’s why there is no step in the barrel between marble body and ink view (Christof Zollinger).

Fig.1. Marble color IBIS (gray). By courtesy of Christof Zollinger.

595561972_51022799213_894f82c882_c(2).jpg.c39421e4ea7bd8d8e3236505df411947.jpg

Fig.2. Marble color IBIS (red). By courtesy of Christof Zollinger.

1955407434_51203911900_8e66b2f6d7_c(2).jpg.2df7871bc3c5747b5b86d2eb87578fe3.jpg

Fig.3. Marble color IBIS (red). By courtesy of Christof Zollinger.

51203699049_9872815dbe_c.jpg.3d12487bc39cf1b7ab5ef6cb34434f73.jpg

congratulations @tacitus, i have been following this thread for over a year now - you have kept up this great resource.  thank you

Pelikan 130 IBIS (ca.1949) - the second generation

Green indicates the changes from IBIS (ca.1939).
Cap top; material: ebonite, shape: conical, flat cap top edge, logo: "IBIS・PATENT・IBIS・PATENT" on the lateral side.
Cap tube; material: celluloid, shape: 2 vent holes (one hole facing each other), one gold plated narrow band, ring groove around the inner wall.
Clip; shape: nickel plated diamond clip.
Nib; material: chromium/nickel (CN) - steel, shape: round vent hole, logo:
IBIS
CN
Feed; material: ebonite, shape: slanted tail, three lamellae. 
Grip section and barrel; material: one piece injection molded transparent acrylics, shape; flat top edge, tapered.
Filling system; material: injection molded acrylics with synthetic plastic seal (late version), shape: conical smooth turning knob.
Dimensions;
Total  Cap Barrel  Cap  Barrel Ink  Total
length  length length  width  width capacity  weight
120.5 mm  56.0 mm  96.5 mm  12.5 mm  11.5 mm  1.5 ml  12 g

In 1947, Günter Wagner resumed the supply of Pelikan 100N (Pelikan Schreibgeräte). As early as 1947 (or 1948), the company had the plan to produce model IBIS (Pelikan Schreibgeräte). Finally, the plan came true on June 20, 1949 (Pelikan-collectibles). The company re-introduced the pen under the name of Pelikan 130 IBIS⁽¹⁾(Pelikan catalog No.70/8 (1951)). The total length was made about 5mm longer than prewar versions in line with that of flagships (100→100N), and now was almost same as model 100. The nib was CN-steel. As from July 25, 1949, 14 ct gold was available for the export market (Pelikan SchreibgerätePelikan-collectibles).

When I saw this pen on eBay, I thought it is prewar version, as it has an ebonite cap top. When the pen arrived, I thought it is not an original pen, but rebuilt in postwar era, as it is longer than prewar IBIS and has mixed parts. But, seeing the description that "...1949 Re-launch of the IBIS 130... Remaining stocks of ebonite caps are apparently used up, so models with mixed materials can be found."(Pelikan-collectibles), I was convinced that this is the case. The green barrel seems to be never painted black. The clip is not gold plated. The ebonite cap top doesn't match its production period. These suggest that they were stock parts. Although consisted of "mixed up" parts, this is the proof that Günter Wagner struggled to revive the economy pen in the company's difficult times.

Note;⁽¹⁾We can see that "IBIS" was not the brand name anymore, but a model name of "Pelikan pens”.

Fig.1
The nib of IBIS 130 (ca.1949).
1-4.thumb.JPG.48bd851a87e9a93216f4a0d22d7c050d.JPG

Fig.2
IBIS 130 (ca.1949) with the cap posted.
2-6.JPG.4146599549369cae7f01b6cb27b17ba3.JPG

Fig.3
IBIS 130 (ca.1949) with the cap closed.
3-5.thumb.JPG.665c6099ad06feddfe69955dbb7b9ff3.JPG

On 5/1/2022 at 6:43 AM, lionelc said:

congratulations @tacitus, i have been following this thread for over a year now - you have kept up this great resource.  thank you

Thank you @lionelc,

I'm moving my website from Google site to Wix, and rebuilding it.

Please visit my site

OOO Pretty

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Pelikan 130 IBIS (ca.1950) - the second generation

Green indicates the changes from 130 IBIS (ca.1949).

Cap top; material: ebonite, shape: conical, flat cap top edge, logo: "IBIS GÜNTER WGNER IBIS GÜNTER WGNER" on the lateral side.
Cap tube; material: celluloid, shape: no vent holes, one gold plated narrow band, ring groove around the inner wall.
Clip; shape: gold plated drop clip.
Nib; material: chromium/nickel (CN) - steel, shape: round vent hole, logo:

IBIS
CN

Feed; material: ebonite, shape: slanted tail, three lamellae. 
Grip section and barrel; material: one piece injection molded transparent acrylics, shape; modified flat top edge, tapered.
Filling system; material: injection molded acrylics with white disc-shaped plastic seal (or wide transparent synthetic plastic seal)⁽¹⁾, shape: conical smooth turning knob, nib specification on the piston guide.
Dimensions;

Total  Cap  Barrel  Cap  Barrel  Ink  Total
length  length  length  width  width  capacity  weight
118.5 mm  56.5 mm  96.5 mm  12 mm  11 mm  1.5 ml  12 g

This version may be the "postwar IBIS" in its true sense.

As from 1950, gold nib (Fig.6) became available for the domestic market (Pelikan-collectibles), but CN nib was concurrently available (Pelikan catalog No.70/8 (1951)). In the catalog, IBIS (gold nib) had rolled gold doublé ("Walzgold doublé") clip and cap ring, while IBIS (CN nib) had golden?("Goldin") ones⁽²⁾. In 1951, gold nib with "Pelikan" imprint was introduced (Pelikan-collectibles). As from April 22, 1952, CN nib became unavailable for 100N. Since then, 130 IBIS was the only model with which CN nib was available (Pelikan catalog No.80 (1953)). Metal finishing was same as of 1951.

As for piston seals, In 1950, white disc-shaped plastic seal was introduced. On November 27, 1953, wide transparent synthetic plastic seal was introduced (Pelikan Schreibgeräte).

The shape of the section is different from that of Pelikan 130 IBIS (ca.1949) (Fig.5). When this type of section was produced is unknown to me. In addition, gold-plated clip and CN nib don't seem to match the catalogs. Dating is temporary.

Note;⁽¹⁾My pen has replaced black synthetic plastic seal.
⁽²⁾In the same catalog, 400 series and 100N (gold nib) had rolled gold doublé ("Walzgold doublé") clip and cap ring, while 100N (CN nib) had gold-plated ("hart vergoldet") ones. We can see that pens were differentiated by the two (three?) types of metal finishing.

Fig.1
Nib of Pelikan 130 IBIS (ca.1950).

1-5.thumb.JPG.353ec37310a2500b9d3285a40764ae1b.JPG

Fig.2
Pelikan 130 IBIS (ca.1950).

2-3.thumb.JPG.081688fc012bcf9de373bb544ef15024.JPG

Fig.3
Pelikan 130 IBIS (ca.1950).

3-6.thumb.JPG.ac0fedcbc9833b521769e0b10ab72f92.JPG

Fig.4
Nib specification on the piston guide.

5-0.thumb.JPG.959e2dbb0d319100051957bc111bb30f.JPG

Fig.5
Section end of 130 IBIS; Left; ca.1949, right; ca.1950.

4-0.JPG.1bf9afb8f49b33a46f0c0f7c406718d2.JPG4-0-1.thumb.JPG.0f5e294f9aebb081f56085c4ff317732.JPG

Fig.6

24735148867_b5fe8c11b2_c_d.jpg

Pelikan 130 IBIS (ca.1954) - the second generation

On January 20, 1954, 130 IBIS (and 100N) were "officially" discontinued (Pelikan Schreibgeräte). The model, however, was continued to be produced for the export market (e.g. Switzerland).

In December 1954,  so-called fir tree nib was fitted with 130 IBIS (Fig.1, 2). 

Finally, model 130 IBIS was discontinued around 1956 (Pelikan SchreibgerätePelikan-collectibles)⁽¹⁾, replaced by model 140 as an economy model⁽²⁾.

Note;⁽¹⁾Switzerland price list was the last reference of Pelikan 130 IBIS.

⁽²⁾Model 140 had already been introduced in 1952.

Fig.1
IBIS130 with a fir tree nib (ca.1954). By courtesy of Christof Zollinger.

1997fa_b10ec16364bb405aafd1aebd2e780394_mv2(2).jpg.5dfa5f990eb8b3bbc69625cbf5a65705.jpg

Fig.2
A fir tree nib of IBIS130 (ca.1954). By courtesy of Christof Zollinger.

1997fa_90172497f18a44528b6578e4fd0141b7_mv2(1).jpg.f177e8529aed94e6e801a63786c7c1e4.jpg

Let me post AUCH-Pelikan for a while. I know this is a pencil not a fountain pen, but is indispensable in Pelikan history. Having said so, however, I'm not so familiar with pencils. I'm not sure if my description is right on target.

Anyway, I gave it a try.

Auch-Pelikan 200 (ca.1934) - the first year version

Cap top; material: ebonite, logo: old four chicks logo on the top.
Cap top holder; material: ebonite.
Grip and barrel; material: one piece ebonite, logo: "AUCH-Pelikan" imprint on the barrel.
Cone; material: gold plated brass, shape: four slits.
Dimensions;

Length      Width      Weight
121.5 mm  10 mm    16 g

On June 26, 1934, the first mechanical pencil was introduced to extend the line of Pelikan fountain pen. The model name was "AUCH-Pelikan", and model number was 200. The price was 3.50 RM (filled with 15 HB leads in colored box) (Pelikan catalog No.60 (1934)). In "Pelikan-Blätter" (Pelikan-news letters), the meaning of the name was explained to retail traders as follows (Pelikan Schreibgeräte);

"Für die große Gemeinde der Besitzer eines durchsichtigen Pelikan gibt es nur eines:
Füllhalter? Selbstredend Pelikan!
Und diese Freunde neuzeitlicher Schreibgeräte werden bald sagen:
Füllbleistift?
Natürlich AUCH-Pelikan!"

"For the large community of owners of a transparent Pelikan, there is only one thing:
Fountain pen? Pelikan, of course!
And these friends of modern writing instruments will soon say:
Fountain pencil?
Of course, ALSO Pelikan!"

According to Pelikan catalog No.60 (1934),"Druckbleistift AUCH-Pelikan - Der AUCH-Pelikan ist ein Hartgummi-Füllbleistift besonderer art. Er enthält insgesamt 3/4 m Mine, die automatisch durch Druck vorgeschoben wird. Nur eine Hand ist zu seiner bedienung erforderlich. Ein druck und der AUCH-Pelikan ist schreibbreit.  Die Mine steht unverrückbar fest, kein Drehen beim Schreiben. Er ist praktisch und arbeitet unbedingt zuverlässig. Für Farbige Minen wird der AUCH-Pelikan mit farbigem Kopf geliefert. Werden farbige Köpfe gewunscht, so ist dieses in der Bestellung ausdrücklich vorzuschreiben".

"Mechanical pencil AUCH-Pelikan - The AUCH-Pelikan is a hard rubber mechanical pencil of a special kind. It contains a total of 3/4 m lead, which is automatically advanced by pressure. Only one hand is needed to operate it. One push and the AUCH-Pelikan is ready to write.  The lead is immovably fixed, no turning while writing. It is practical and works absolutely reliable. For colored leads, the AUCH-Pelikan is supplied with a colored head. If colored heads are desired, this must be expressly specified in the order".

Contrary to screw-based pencils (propelling pencils) that were popular of that times, AUCH-Pelikan was ratchet-based pencils (repeater pencils). The mechanism of mechanical pencils is as follows (please see Fig.0 for illustration);

1. When start using the new lead (1.18mm), turn the mechanical pencil tip down. The lead falls down to the three-fork chuck body⁽¹⁾.
  2. The chuck body is connected with the cap top on the end of the pencil. When not in use, the chuck body is closed in the chuck ring. When the cap top is pushed, the chuck body moves forward with the chuck ring. After a certain advance, the space in the cone gets narrowed. So, only the inner chuck body can enter it, and the chuck ring is pushed back by the cone to retreat, making "click" feeling and/or sound (movie). Out of the chuck ring, the chuck body gets separated open, and allows the lead to fall through it to the cone. 
  3. When the cap top is released, the chuck body is retracted, and the lead is held in place by the chuck body clamped in the chuck ring (Fig.3).
  4. When the cap top is pushed again, the chuck body sends the lead into the cone-tip. After a certain advance, the chuck ring is pushed back by the cone again, and the chuck body gets separated, releasing the lead (Fig.3). But the precisely-fitted cone-tip (Fig.2) keeps the lead in place, preventing the lead from either falling freely outward or riding back into the shaft.
  5. When the cap top is released again, the chuck body retracts and recovers grip of the lead. The lead, kept in place by the chuck body and the cone-tip, doesn't turn or wobble while writing.

In modern pencils, lead retainer (e.g. rubber ring) is installed into the cone to guide and hold the lead. In AUCH-Pelikan, instead the cone-tip fulfils the role. The cone-tip has four slits, and these slits may render the tip appropriate springiness. In later versions, slits  were decreased to three.

The back of cap top is covered with a brass ring (Fig.4). Every time it is pushed, the cap top collides with the edge of brass shaft. So, it might have needed reinforcement.

As for dimension and appearance, Auch-Pelikan is shorter than 100 (cap posted), but longer than 100 (cap closed). The clip is a drop clip, and its length is same as Rappen. Except for clip ring, there is no ring on the body. The first year Auch-Pelikan had "AUCH-Pelikan" imprint on the barrel⁽²⁾ (Fig.1), and old four chick Pelikan logo on the cap top. No other imprint is seen on the body. As shown above, colored cap tops were offered for colored lead upon request (Pelikan-guide).

As I don't own other manufacturer's pencils, I can't tell what was new and what was different with AUCH-Pelikan. My honest impression is "lean in design and function". 

Note;⁽¹⁾According to Pentel, three fork-chuck body is the best to hold the lead.

⁽²⁾In 1935, the imprint was changed to just "Pelikan"(Pelikan-guide). So, "AUCH-Pelikan" imprint indicates that it is the first year version.

Fig.0
The mechanism of mechanical pencils. Note that the pencil is not Auch-Pelikan.

Z2Ep5.jpg.1fa549b98451bab28ce432d8f158dc04.jpg

Fig.1
"AUCH-Pelikan" imprint on the barrel.

1.thumb.JPG.7f7e7a1e43be0f3736669d23149f7d80.JPG

Fig.2
The cone (from the front).

11.JPG.819f0203e672e009c321ef9e93503680.JPG

The cone-tip (from the front).

There are four slits around the cone-tip.

4.JPG.670d9166d70f4f976d50a9cd3d8fdd54.JPG

Fig.3
The chuck body  is retracted into the chuck ring, holding the lead (the cone is removed).

6.JPG.e6a92cf8a2a5ee81a2eebfd8a17040ad.JPG

The chuck body is separated open (the chuck ring is retreated).

7.JPG.11b1cf3370f909d69511e157f443c22a.JPG

Fig.4
The cap top and cap top holder. Old Pelikan logo with four chicks on the cap top.

2.JPG.e6306cd6d28f2b3786eefc993e87ef9a.JPG

The cap top and cap top holder (from the back). The cap top is covered with a brass ring.

9.JPG.104d8e625ea49df37aa91530f9d4ed0e.JPG

Fig.5
The brass shaft and leads inside.
By removing the cap top and the cap top holder, leads are refilled.

8.JPG.a5cdf16151d58614793267289659908c.JPG

Fig.6
The drop clip.

3.JPG.0d84d80eb4b5c73bb36f38342ae3b31f.JPG

Fig.7
Disassembled Auch-Pelikan.

12.thumb.JPG.f9b3ca2d1df3b9a8b7b6228a93cbe6f1.JPG

Fig.8
Comparison with model 100 (ca.1933).

16.thumb.JPG.f2cdbf7b7c7cf1165b2b19d7a6e8e2c8.JPG15.thumb.JPG.ee4093f33fe956a749f6ea623c793bec.JPG

As I succeeded in completely disassembling AUCH-Pelikan. I'll show it in the next post.

AUCH-Pelikan 200 (ca.1935) - the first generation

Cap top; material: ebonite, logo: old four chicks logo on the top.
Cap top holder; material: ebonite.
Grip and barrel; material: one piece ebonite, logo: "Pelikan" imprint on the barrel.
Cone; material: gold plated brass, shape: four slits.
Dimensions;

Length    Width    Weight
122.5 mm    10 mm    13 g

In 1935, the imprint on the barrel was changed to "Pelikan" (Fig.1). 

In the same year the lineup was expanded⁽¹⁾.

• model 209 (pocket size with ring instead of clip) (October 23, 1935 -)
  • model 205 (pocket size with ring instead of clip and eyelet on the cap top) (On November 14, 1935 - )

In July 1936, model 200 in all red brown was introduced. 

AUCH-Pelikan has good maintainability. The pencil can be disassembled without special tools (DO NOT do it). Fig.2 is the exploded view. The cone doesn't have a lead retainer. Instead, the cone-tip serves to hold the lead. The cone-tip has four slits (Fig.4). The chuck body has three forks (Fig.5-1). The chuck ring slides along the chuck body, regulating their opening and closing (Fig.5-2). The shaft is consisted of two parts (Fig.6). The lower part is narrowed to fit into the coil spring and allow only one lead to the chuck body (Fig.3-6). The upper part is a lead holder and has "burr" outside (Fig.7). The thread tube fixes the cap top holder with the barrel (Fig.2). The thread tube also serves as a stopper of the shaft; the inner rim of the thread tube (Fig.8) holds down the shaft with burr (Fig.3-4). The ebonite cap top is protected from the sharp shaft edge by a steel ring (Fig.9-2).

Fig.10 is the paper box (not of my pencil)⁽²⁾.

Note;⁽¹⁾They were designed for ladies who carry it in their handbag.
⁽²⁾We can see that "Pelikan" imprint was added around the cap top holder in a later version.

Fig.1
"Pelikan" imprint on the barrel.

01.thumb.JPG.61763973a3966e5d51a45116aebb4a22.JPG

Fig.2
The exploded view.

10-1.thumb.JPG.e8584a1d0f9adafbd1bfc5c63f81ce0e.JPG

Fig.3-1
Before disassembly.

20.thumb.JPG.9fd99981ab7a222a62a386bfc5bccf8e.JPG

Fig.3-2
Turn and remove the cap top holder.

20-2.thumb.JPG.71d73db770ab7f0d0833256030d0b5c8.JPG

Fig.3-3
Turn and remove the cone.

21.thumb.JPG.8bbfc033be727ae65408382ab89681cc.JPG

Fig.3-4
Turn and remove the thread tube and the drop clip.

27-2.thumb.JPG.aaf026667d3f11222b2485966b0547b3.JPG

Fig.3-5
Carefully pull out the chuck ring.

22.thumb.JPG.9c2dfa96e35fa351754c31ca202559f7.JPG

Fig.3-6
Finally pull out the shaft.  

23.thumb.JPG.2bbf9558a7c5c04cb1417df871182cdc.JPG

Fig.4
Four slits around the cone-tip.

31.JPG.a245034635f3a2c3e1b27f6616991f93.JPG

Fig.5-1
The chuck body and the chuck ring. Three forks are open.

24.thumb.JPG.e0f664ccc74b03bf0126a2c7f2257310.JPG

Fig.5-2
Three forks are closed.

25.thumb.JPG.c54d3aa23753811af776028df27b91b5.JPG

Fig.6
The shaft is narrowed to allow only one lead to go through.

28.JPG.9202580c18a1d8857ca207b5210255ee.JPG

Fig.7
The upper part of the shaft is lead holder. Burr outside.

26.JPG.7d00b70ab24840b47f816da22c7745e8.JPG

Fig.8
The thread tube with an Inner rim.

27.JPG.a85d3a8d58fc6aeb07c52aeb806b65c0.JPG

Fig.9-1

Old four chicks logo on the cap top.

29.JPG.4844d68d21a45353f0553386b27cbe1b.JPG

Fig.9-2
Cap top from the back. Metal reinforcement.

30.JPG.ae8c1e379d607c0e89260a8476cfe9bc.JPG

Fig.10
Paper box. "Pelikan" imprint on the cap tube.

00.JPG.5aeeb901cc22e7513042402984c7fb21.JPG

00-1.JPG

00-2.JPG

Before going to next AUCH-Pelikan, I'd like to make a detour to foreign production pens.

For further information, please see my page.

Milan model

There exist famous Pelikan pens, especially model 100N, called nowadays "Milan model" or "Milan style". These pens were produced by Milan factory in Italy, and are characterized most by the barrel. The colored celluloid is integral to the barrel and not an overlaid sleeve as had been the case with virtually every Pelikan pens made up to that time (*). Instead, the barrel is made from two pieces, one solid transparent part, one solid celluloid part. They are welded each other to be a single integrated celluloid for the barrel. The unusual nibs and imprints are also found with Milan model (Pelikan SchreibgerätePelikan Pens: History).

Before WWII, Günter Wagner had many foreign factories (e.g. Danzig, Bucharest, Barcelona, Milan, Sofia, Vienna, Warsaw, Zagreb, Zürich, and throughout South America). Mainly they produced ink and office supplies. In every factories, however, there were pen repair facilities that had spare parts to avoid returning products to the production unit. In some factories, complete pens may have been assembled out of those parts (Pelikan SchreibgerätePelikan Pens: History). 

Towards the end of 1930's, celluloid came to dominate the pen manufacturing. Günter Wagner was not the exception. By 1939, hard rubber (ebonite) was gone from Pelikan pens (Pelikan Pens: History). Günter Wagner relocated its hard rubber machinery from Hannover to Milan in 1939 (Pelikan Pens: History), where local production started up. So, ebonite were used n Milan products (but not all pens). Milan factory produced not just standard pens, but a number of variants including desk pens. Aa far as I confirmed, the features associated with Milan model (besides the characteristic barrel and "Milano" imprint) are "Germania" on the cap top, "14 kt", "585 ‰", "G.W." imprints on the nib, and heart-shaped hole in the nib, as shown in Figures⁽¹⁾. According to Rick Propas, there exist Milano models with "Emege" imprints.

After WWII, fountain pen production was resumed in Milan factory⁽²⁾. But products in Milan factory proved to have major shortcomings for manufactural/technical reasons. Kovàcs had to go to Milan to solve the problems. When Milan factory stopped to produce fountain pens is unclear. According to Rick Propas, it was probably mid-1950s.

Note;
(*)The barrel of marble color IBIS was similarly made.

⁽¹⁾These features are not necessarily exclusive for Milan model. For example, "Germania""585 ‰" imprint is found in normal barrel (→ "Germinia" imprint). According to Penboard.de, pens with normal barrel and "Germania" imprint was made in Germany for the Italian market.
⁽²⁾After WWII, foreign factories were expropriated by the authorities of that time. Some factories were closed down, while others continued to fountain pens, pencils, their spare parts, and inks (e.g. Milan, Zurich, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Amsterdam). However, royalty payments to Kovàcs by two foreign factories (Milan and ?) were refused. Finally, Kovàcs gave up and decide to sell his patens or manufacturing instructions, which may explain why Milan factory was able to continue local fountain pen production (
Pelikan Schreibgeräte, Pelikan Pens: History). 

Pelikan 100N Black/Gray
We can see that the barrel is made of solid celluloid.

1997fa_057281a753e74869a3804b6c226134a2_mv2(1).jpg.031d2f92d4bc97a4f70b1107f575c39e.jpg

Heart-shaped nib hole, "Milano" imprint on the cap tube and box

4507g.thumb.jpg.0231965ceed3fb240b2b24a84e3c697c.jpg

Fir tree nib.

60037g.thumb.jpg.a2e4a47371401398dcec2930208074d7.jpg

Pelikan 400 desk pen set

By courtesy of Christof Zollinger.

1997fa_7f22ddc2ab8141b5988014c08455a3e8_mv2(1).jpg.8c523484861f31928d7f375662b09fec.jpg

Thank you, @christof.

I owe so much to your collection.

I didn't know the friction fit collar for model 100/101😲