Montblanc nibs

Severn

Hello,

I own a Montblanc Meisterstück Solitaire Doue that I bought new a couple of years ago. It has a medium nib, and I'm interested in changing the nib to a fine (although not by myself).

I have a seller who is offering a few Montblanc nibs. He's a collector and sent me these options in the photo. I can also view these in person if I'm interested.
He is selling each nib for $105.
A couple of questions: Would they fit my pen, and do they look genuine and if so, which one looks suitable? His own recommendation is the yellow gold nib, third from right.

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

MBnib.jpeg

MBnib2.jpeg

MBnib3.jpg

Edited by Severn
typo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Severn

• gerigo

• zaddick

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to know the model/nib side of your pen. It will have either a #5 or #6 size nib. without scale it is hard to see what those are, but let's assume they are the right size. The price id fair enough and likely less than MB would charge you, but if you are not going to change it yourself will the seller swap in the nib for you? i would guess someone with this many loose nibs probably has the tools to make the change.

The recommend nib is the oldest looking and has the finest point, so I can see why you were pointed in that direction. That is what I would pick if I wanted an F nib. I don't see any red flags... they look like used nibs that need a new home.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

@zaddick Thank you for that helpful advice. I think the Solitaire is a 144 from what I can tell. I did speak with my local MB boutique and they quoted around $250 to change nib, so his price is more interesting for me.

Yes, the seller said he has the tools and could swap the nib for me. I was a little nervous if he may damage the plastic fins on the feed, and I'm not sure if this pen has the glue as well - the forum has some warnings about the whole procedure. Is this risk mainly for first timers? 

The oldest nib you mention seems to have a slightly different shape at the bottom than the others. Does that effect compatibility? 

The other option you could take is to get the nib ground down by a nibmeister. I did that with 4 of my Montblanc's that I really wanted in fine. The total cost of the work on 4 pens was lower than what Montblanc wanted to change one nib. The other nice thing about Montblanc's is that you can't tell whether there was nib work down as the nibs aren't marked.

Thank you for that feedback. Considering these used nibs are half the price of having one replaced by MB I think I will actually lean towards having MB do it for me, professionally and knowing it will absolutely correct with no risk. The other tempting option is just to spend just a little more and get a used MB pen with a fine nib.