What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

On 1/22/2021 at 7:08 PM, sansenri said:

pen in rotation today, a Ranga 8B in a nice acrylic colour (red gold)

large.881383988_P1190045-3Ranga8Bredgoldcrackedice.jpg.d6657f508904aef3258fd41e6e5aeae9.jpg

It is absolutely gorgeous!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Playing with italic and writing smaller and smaller.

So far I've inked

• Sailor Neo Hi-ace 1.0mm with a Sailor Black cartridge
  • Pilot Prera Fine Stub (came out of a Pluminix, I think) with Robert Oster Motor Oil
  • Pilot Plumix M Stub with Pilot Blue Black
  • waiting for the ink to flow in a Pilot Metropolitan CM that I filled with Van Dieman's Eggplant

I don't think that last one is going to be any different to the Plumix, but trying anyway. They all too 'muddy' looking on the Rhodia dot grid when I write small - the downstroke too wide and the horizontal too thick - not enough contrast. The e's fill in. Maybe I need a better pen than these cheapies?

And now I have all these pens inked that I have to write out! :wacko:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

They all too 'muddy' looking on the Rhodia dot grid when I write small - the downstroke too wide and the horizontal too thick - not enough contrast.

Even the:

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

Pilot Prera Fine Stub (came out of a Pluminix, I think) with Robert Oster Motor Oil

?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/gallery/image/1606-pilot-plumix-nibs-comparison-writing-in-noodlers-aircorp-blue-black/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Today I have inked a vintage Ancora pen. It is orange flake with burgundy on the cap and tip end and silver accent rings & clip. It's a medium-sized pen with the nib custom ground to a soft cursive italic.  

On 1/11/2022 at 1:06 AM, Christina said:

It is absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you, it is one of the nicer acrylics used by Ranga, their range of cracked ice/flaky acrylics do look really pretty.

A couple of pics of my current favourite, my beloved Pelikan 400 from sometime in the 50s I think.  Lovely flex and just beautiful IMHO!

16420264007297987856359360031283.jpg

16420265368342989550000260395308.jpg

16420266112063829631850021330817.jpg

Wow!  What a pretty pen, Firecrest!  My first Pelikan was a 1990s M400 Brown Tortoise and I think yours is even better looking than mine....  Sigh....

Today for me it's been the TWSBI 700 Vac (Iris, F nib) still with Diamine Grey; and the Noodler's Konrad (Poseidon Pearl, flex nib) with Noodler's Ellis Island Blue Black (which I think is exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pelikan m101n Lizard with Pelikan Brilliant Black, and Parker Vacumatic Green? with Aurora Sepia. Not sure what model my vacumatic is, but it is made in USA model.

Using the Vacumatic till I finish the 5ml ink left in the Aurora bottle. Same for the Lizard and the  10mL of Brilliant Black left in 50mL bottle.

Not sure what Pen I will ink up. Maybe Pelikan m600 Turquoise with GVF Gulf Blue. I had Gulf Blue for 2 years, and never once opened it.

Three pens in active service today (lots of writing to do):

• Lamy Safari Red with a 1.1mm stub, filled with R&K Alt-Goldgrün. I really like the ink color and the pen. Lamy stubs, in general, not so much. I find the Lamy stubs anything but crisp. Yea, yea, I know, that makes them more forgiving for those of us who are not master pen people, but this particular one behaves a lot like a almost-round BB with a fussy sweet spot. When the AltGG ink runs out, I will probably refill with R&K Verdigris, and when I get tired of wrestling with this stub, I will probably put a regular B or M nib on the pen.
  • Lami Safari Umbra with an EF nib, filled with a Lamy Blue cartridge. If I were trying to sell someone on a Lamy Safari, and I knew they liked narrower nibs, I would hand them this pen. It starts instantly, even after months lying idle in the bottom of my bag, puts down a super consistent, medium wet, 0,2mm line, and is surprisingly smooth for such a fine nib (just a little bit of feedback, but not at all scratchy).
  • M605 Stresemann (M), filled with 4001 Brilliant Black. As someone in the Pelikan forum once described the Stresemann pen, a nice business suit.

I'm still playing around with smaller stub nibs - struggling with some things such as keeping my lowercase e's open at the smallest sizes - I'm not sure if it's just me, the pen, the ink, so I've given up on the Pilot fine italic for now and working mostly with a Metropolitan CM and getting better, but that step down isn't for me. (That's why it had migrated to the back of the drawer!) Maybe a nib transplant into a Prera is in order. I saw today that it even comes in grey.  :)

Besides that: a black Kaweco Perkeo PO (Bullet Journal), a Pilot Elite Burgundy E95s with a fine nib (Morning Pages) and a Jinhao 51A bent nib (for drawing).

Will work for pens... :unsure:

15 hours ago, Firecrest said:

A couple of pics of my current favourite, my beloved Pelikan 400 from sometime in the 50s I think.  Lovely flex and just beautiful IMHO!

16420264007297987856359360031283.jpg

16420265368342989550000260395308.jpg

16420266112063829631850021330817.jpg

It`s really eye-catcher! Before 1954 the cap band was without engraving, from 1954 onwards it was engraved with "Pelikan 400".

Regards, Alexey

3 minutes ago, readytotalk said:

It`s really eye-catcher! Before 1954 the cap band was without engraving, from 1954 onwards it was engraved with "Pelikan 400".

Is the script nib the original nib for these pens? I have only seen the Pelikan 400 with the Chevron? logo. I think that is was the logo is called. The one that have an upside v shape arcs.

2 MB 149 pens, one med and one fine nibbed, both filled with Kon-Peki ink. Plus, I have 2 Lamy Al-Stars filled with Waterman Serenity Blue ink that I have in my bag to carry with me to a meeting with a couple of Professors. The Al-Stars have a medium nib and a nib that is marked 1.1mm, sort of a broadish nib.

3 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Is the script nib the original nib for these pens? I have only seen the Pelikan 400 with the Chevron? logo. I think that is was the logo is called. The one that have an upside v shape arcs.

Yes, it`s original nib.

According to https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Revised-Piston-Fillers/400-Basis/index.html Chevron logo was introduced as of December 1954. My one has the same "Pelikan 585" imprint.

20200405_132020.thumb.jpg.c0bb82d56d998bc27fe7de906800c751.jpg

Regards, Alexey

Sailor 1911S Wicked Witch, MF nib -- old version Sailor Sky High.

Parker Vector "Shrek" Puss in Boots, M nib -- Noodler's Tokyo Gift (not sure if it's an LE ink or not).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 1/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, AmandaW said:

I'm still playing around with smaller stub nibs - struggling with some things such as keeping my lowercase e's open at the smallest sizes - I'm not sure if it's just me, the pen, the ink, so I've given up on the Pilot fine italic for now and working mostly with a Metropolitan CM and getting better, but that step down isn't for me. (That's why it had migrated to the back of the drawer!) Maybe a nib transplant into a Prera is in order. I saw today that it even comes in grey.  :)

Besides that: a black Kaweco Perkeo PO (Bullet Journal), a Pilot Elite Burgundy E95s with a fine nib (Morning Pages) and a Jinhao 51A bent nib (for drawing).

Very much so, I think the Prera is the cure and you don't need to give up the nib. It's not always that simple.