What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

8 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Arrived yesterday - a brand new pen purchased to celebrate a special occasion, a Sailor Shikiori Yozakura - but when I opened the box in the car, I must admit, I was a little disappointed. The colour wasn't what I was expecting - too brown and too blue, not the clear pink I had imagined. It was supposed to be pretty. And there was none of the translucency seen in it's sibling the burgundy Yodaki. I held my verdict though - let's see is in better light at home - maybe it's the car's window tinting and the weird wintery light - it's supposed to be Spring - and reflections from the surroundings and the blue box it came in...

Happily that all turned out to be true.

The pink is indeed more a quartz pink than pastel, but with abundant very tiny shimmers. Much more subtle and, yes a little brown/grey but no blue at all (that was from the strange light in the car). It needed something equally subtle so I have it inked with the unusual soft grey-with-pink Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same. It is very pretty - I love it - and grateful for the 31st anniversary it commemorates too. :wub:

146244078_sailoryozakurasm.thumb.jpg.0bd6bf7f6569dd191a1ae31ceaba08dc.jpg

Very subtle, very nice...congratulations on your anniversary.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A broad nib CS Duro.  Ink: Diamine Oxford Blue.

I just realised that I have three pens inked with Oxford Blue -- two Conways and an Onoto.  I also have two other pens inked with Regency Blue which is quite similar.

So far today it is a black Parker streamline Duofold Senior. It is a flxible medium to broad and very wet to write with. The ink is my own patented mix of samples too numerous to mention. Grape and Private Reserve dark blue are the only ones I can remember.

The other pen is a Parker Parkette Zephyr in a pretty blue celluloid. That is filled with an earlier version of my mix, being more blue and green ink plus the black ink that was originally in the pen. All being slowly diluted by tap water!

Today has been a variety, as several pens ran out of ink and I haven't had a chance to flush or refill them yet:

1. Noodler's Konrad (Medieval Lapis, flex nib) -- diluted Noodler's Akhmatova.

2. Cross Solo (bright blue, B nib) -- Akkerman SBRE Brown.

3. Parker 51 Aerometric (Teal Blue, F nib) -- Akkerman Delfts Blue.

4. Parker 45 Arrow, (Aqua Blue?, M nib) -- vintage Quink Permanent Royal Blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My pen for today is one of the gold-leaf pens (Kanazawa-Haku) from Platinum, the one with the wind and thunder gods in maki-e (they called the design Fujin-Raijin), with a (Japanese, of course) Fine nib. I really love this pen, every time it comes up in rotation it makes me smile. It helps that I love the way it affects my handwriting. My only possible complaint is that it borders on being uncomfortably short without posting, but I don't want to post it because I am afraid it will damage the finish. So I just start writing and forget about it.

I really like the texture of this pen (it's the only one of these I own), it feels different from other surface treatments like urushi, different from celluloid, and different from uncoated plastics. The texture makes me think of the word "soft," although there is no perceptible "give" to it. It does not feel delicate at all, in fact it feels like it would be quite durable, and I think (if I remember correctly) that it is coated in clear urushi lacquer. Nevertheless, I cannot but handle it with loving care. 

It is currently inked with Monteverde Copper Noir. 

I'm using my new Sailor Shikiori Yozakura still and finding it very dry - almost scratchy. I expect feedback from a fine Sailor nib, but this is definitely unpleasant. Maybe it's the Iro Kiri-same ink?

I keep writing hoping it will improve. :(

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Newton Thompson Orville, medium left oblique nib with Diamine Umber

Esterbrook J Green, 9460 nib with De Atramentis Aubergine

Lamy Safari Savannah, fine nib with Diamine Safari 

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

41 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I'm using my new Sailor Shikiori Yozakura still and finding it very dry - almost scratchy. I expect feedback from a fine Sailor nib, but this is definitely unpleasant.

Some Sailor pens write with very constrained ink flow out-of-the-box. You may have to adjust the tine gap to suit your preferences. However, scratchy as in lacerating the paper surface would be unusual, if there is no apparent tine misalignment.

Last week I did find the ‘need’ to smoothen the tipping on my eight-year-old Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black a bit, as it was actually scratching the surface of the current-production, toothier Rhodia DotPad paper (but not nearly as much of an issue with my old DotPad stock, or Studio Milligram 80gsm maple paper); but that was probably because I've inadvertently ‘done’ something to the nib along the way. It always wrote very dry, though; or at least it did, until I unintentionally pulled its nib and feed out of the gripping section some time ago while cleaning.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

29 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Some Sailor pens write with very constrained ink flow out-of-the-box. You may have to adjust the tine gap to suit your preferences.

Thankyou. I am quietly confident that more ink flow will be enough to make it pleasant to use. Can you describe your method of adjusting the tine gap?

34 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Can you describe your method of adjusting the tine gap?

In the first instance, I ‘flossed’ the tine gap with the corner of an old strip of developed 35mm film. (That is apt to sheer some of the material off the film if the tine gap is too tight, and/or the edges of the inner surfaces of the tines are sharp; but the debris can be easily flushed away.) When that didn't prove sufficient, I then tugged and pulled on the ‘shoulders’ of the nib in opposite direction to spread the tines a bit. (That is apt to cause slight misalignment of the tines vertically, and will require further adjustment with one's fingernail to correct.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

My pen in today's rotation is this clean, slim and very 90s white enamel Diplomat Attaché, bought a few months ago as a pristine NOS. And coincidentally currently inked with Waterman Absolute Brown just like MarcoA63 above (although my bottle is as old as the pen and still called Havana Brown 😅)

large.IMG_2232.JPG.d50b4a98b00988507c396f305b463887.JPG

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

1 hour ago, MarcoA63 said:

Today is the turn of my repaired Tibaldi 20-L + Waterman Absolute Brown

IMG_2883.JPG

That's an elegant looking pen. Very nice.

Today it's been the newly acquired White and Red Lamy Safari, B nib, with the enclosed cartridge of Lamy Black until such time as I can get a converter for it (I do have a new spare converter, but it's currently destined for the French Blue Safari; and just now found another one, but I think it was leaking behind the piston head).  And the Aqua Blue (?) Parker 45 Arrow, M nib, with vintage Quink Permanent Royal Blue.

Upcoming, (depending on the lighting, because it's overcast and also nearly 4 PM EDT) will be the test/review of MB Encre du Desert, in the black Shaeffer No Nonsense, IM nib I picked up on the way to the Chicago Pen Show a few weeks ago.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My current pen is a Kaweco Perkeo 'Bad Taste' inked with a long cartridge of Jacques Herbin Noir de Abyssal. I like this pen so much I have ordered three more in other colours (one will have a nib reground to be PO nib). I will need empty cartridges for those to refill with the inks I have in mind for them so I will be writing with the Bad Taste for at least as long as that takes!

New Narwhal Nautilus (the Corydoras Bronze version). They seem not to actually be available with the promised stub nibs, so I got a B and took it down to a CI (around M) and it's now very nice indeed. I'm loving the little ink windows.

large.nautilus1.jpg.ecce4b9e082a7d7fd866f030822505a5.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 12:49 AM, MarcoA63 said:

Today is the turn of my repaired Tibaldi 20-L + Waterman Absolute Brown

IMG_2883.JPG

Is your Tibaldi a button filler?