What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

Two pens today. A pretty blue marble Parkette Zephyr with no date code. Guess 1940's from the blade clip. Took it to my blood doning session, so that I could use it to sign the forms.

The nurse was very impressed with it. Afterwards I let her look and write with it.

The other a, much less pretty, Golden Platignum. It is however quite interesting. I'm guessing post war 1940's. It has a push fit chromed metal cap and a bluish, slightly green lever fill barrel. The section is black with a tiny steel nib protruding. Despite the steel nib and general ugliness it is a fine stub and writes quite well.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some days I write with all my inked pens, a page or a 1/2 page at a time in my journal. Today was one of those days:

Parker Aero 51 (F) - Aurora Blue

Pilot Murex (M) - Pilot Blue-Black

Sheaffer Targa (14k M) - Private Reserve Chocolat Fast Dry (old label)

Sheaffer Triumph Imperial (M) - Private Reserve Velvet Black (old label)

Sheaffer PFM I - Aurora Black

I also had a Targa Slim (B), inked with R.O. True Blue. But I flushed it because it's wetter than I am in the mood to use right now. 

On 3/7/2021 at 10:23 PM, cjr said:

N1003U: I love the draw filler. Very easy to use. I have a Pilot Custom 823 vacuum filler and numerous Sheaffer Touchdown fillers. The Edison is the easiest to use and clean

Thanks for the reply. I like hearing experiences from actual owners. I am itching for a new Edison (I keep telling myself I have enough, but then I look at the Edison website) and now, I think, a draw filler will be a likely candidate.

Comparison to a Pilot Custom 823 is also appreciated, as I am familiar with those.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:40 PM, Doug C said:

The Pearl is basically a slimmed down version of the Nakaya Piccolo. This is (to the best of my knowledge) the first series of Urushi pens that Brian did. I think you can still get on his site and see the progress of the pens from start to finish. ( I believe there were 20 in the series). It was not so much the body but the finish I was after.  It just knocked me out. I love the pen, and it is one that has grown on me through the years.

One thing I was impressed with is that all 3 pens are very fine stubs, and 2 of the 3 are absolutely perfect for me (the Huron is a little wetter). They are actually stubs in that I can write with them w/o babying them, but the horizontal strokes are razor thin, and the vertical are thicker but very controlled.  Some stubs I have are basically just big, wet blobs.

The Huron is a bulb filler, and was made from the last piece of Lavender ebonite he had. At the time it was made, Edison was still new to the world, and one of his ways to make himself known was to send you a link and time when your pen was going to be made. You could then watch as the pen was created, start to finish.

It was a wonderful thing to watch. 

I have not ordered any special nib work from Edison, but the standard nibs are always as advertised: 7 of 10 wet, with a hint of feedback.

I understand a personal check of every pen/nib that leaves the factory from Andrea or Brian Gray is a constraint on production, and one the company has strategically chosen to live with. They really do everything possible to make sure pens leave the factory in top condition, and they stand behind their work.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:40 PM, Doug C said:

These 3 pens arent going anywhere. (until the will is read..)

Lol. That is how I feel about most of my Edisons, too.

I was going through my pen cases this morning and decided that today's weapon of choice would be my Aurora 88 Aquila - one of the most beautiful pens I own.  It's definitely time to ink it up again.  (Apologies for the hasty shadowed snap.....)

IMG_8887.JPG

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

55 minutes ago, Aysedasi said:

I was going through my pen cases this morning and decided that today's weapon of choice would be my Aurora 88 Aquila - one of the most beautiful pens I own.  It's definitely time to ink it up again.  (Apologies for the hasty shadowed snap.....)

IMG_8887.JPG

Stunning pen - and looks to be in amazing condition :)

10 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Stunning pen - and looks to be in amazing condition :)

It's gorgeous.  And yes, in very good nick.  I redid the piston seal myself (with some help from here and the internet!).  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Leonardo Momento Zero - Matte Black, F nib. Inked with Iroshizuku Take-sumi.

Lamy 2000 - F nib. Inked with Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Pilot Vanishing Point - Blue and Rhodium, M nib. Inked with a cartridge of Pilot Blue

TWSBI Eco - Cement Grey, M nib. Inked with Sailor Shiguire

TWSBI Vac Mini - Clear, EF nib. Inked with Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku

A Caran d´Ache Ecridor with F nib filled with Herbin Eclat de Saphire. In the Hobonichi cover a yellow GvFC Classic Guilloche M nib filled with Herbin Ambre de Birmanie.

Today it's been several pens:

1) Sailor 1911S "Wicked Witch", music nib, with diluted Sailor Studio #943.

2) Parker Vector "Geometric", F nib, with Birmingham Pens Herbert Simon Cranberry Nobel (I had just found the pen after having mislaid it for months, and decided to ink it up with something I hadn't tried yet).  This has only 3 colors (red, blue and yellow); the "replacement" Vector Geometric has more colors in the design, so I'm happy to have both.

3) Lamy Safari French Blue, F nib, with Lamy Crystal Benetoite.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Same three pens for the last two months:

- Pelikan M600 + vintage Pelikan nib

- Pilot 912 PO

- Sailor PG Realo Zoom

Different inks of course-- except the PO which has been inked with Sei Boku for more than the two months. It's out of ink as of today and I'm in between trying out Kiwa Guro at last, or letting it rest for the first time in the two years I've had it (I've got a Sailor with a MF on the way that might be fun to swap it out for).