What Pen Are You Using Today in 2021/22?

HogwldFLTR

1 hour ago, fcarbon said:

Doug C, obviously you like the koshu inden or you wouldn’t be using it. But how much do you like it?

It feels different than most Sailors that I have. I'm guessing it has to do with the 14k nib vs the 21 on my KOP and 1911.

When you say ' how MUCH do you like it' are you referring to the cost. I paid less than half of retail so at that price I love it. Most Sailors are pretty colored plastic pens with great nib and you have to move up considerably price-wise to get a more artistic body.  The combination of the deerskin and urushi gives the that tactile sense I am missing with the 1911,

I hope that answers the question.  If not PM me.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• N1003U

• ParramattaPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doug C, obviously you like the koshu inden or you wouldn’t be using it. But how much do you like it?

It feels different than most Sailors that I have. I'm guessing it has to do with the 14k nib vs the 21 on my KOP and 1911.

When you say ' how MUCH do you like it' are you referring to the cost. I paid less than half of retail so at that price I love it. Most Sailors are pretty colored plastic pens with great nib and you have to move up considerably price-wise to get a more artistic body.  The combination of the deerskin and urushi gives the that tactile sense I am missing with the 1911,

the Danitrio Fellowship

the Danitrio Fellowship

the Danitrio Fellowship

the Danitrio Fellowship

the Danitrio Fellowship

On 2/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, Doug C said:

Pilot Vanishing Point LS

Marlen Atellen Tales

20210220_090450.jpg

Nice one,  Doug, I own the green Maccus Atellan Tales, I had never seen the lighter coloured ebonite.

large.1461987607_P1200121-3MarlenMaccusAtellanTales.jpg.e6d1ac4611ace02d56ba5066a7260f52.jpg

12 minutes ago, sansenri said:

yikes, Doug, that's the longest series of dreaded multiple posts I've ever seen!

Sorry...

Sorry...

I'm sorry 

the Danitrio Fellowship

4 minutes ago, sansenri said:

Nice one,  Doug, I own the green Maccus Atellan Tales, I had never seen the lighter coloured ebonite.

large.1461987607_P1200121-3MarlenMaccusAtellanTales.jpg.e6d1ac4611ace02d56ba5066a7260f52.jpg

I'm not great at photography.  It's not quite that bright. 

I LOVE older Marlens. They are so unique. 

the Danitrio Fellowship

1 hour ago, Doug C said:

Great point about the Decimo. I have never had one but I can guess that it is easier to use.

I have small hands and Decimos are just a better size for me in general.  But if someone has large hands, I could see where they might cause hand cramps (the same way I probably wouldn't use a Parker Vector -- or even a Parker 45 -- to write the "Great American Novel"; of course I probably wouldn't used my TWSBI 580-AL or 580-ALR for that purpose EITHER -- those being my two heaviest pens).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

8 minutes ago, Doug C said:

Sorry...

Sorry...

I'm sorry 

no need to apologize, it just happens... usually when you are using a mobile device, and the connection is uncertain.

Has happened to me more than once, it just struck me as unusual for the multiples... 😀

9 minutes ago, Doug C said:

I'm not great at photography.  It's not quite that bright. 

I LOVE older Marlens. They are so unique. 

nice to see it anyway, I think they were issued in green, brown and red ebonite

btw, yes, I just found reference to them on Giardino.it's blog

http://blog.giardino.it/2015/08/atellan-tales-by-marlen-italian-comedy-at-the-time-of-plautus/

9 hours ago, Doug C said:

The VP shown is the newer LS, which is almost twice the price of the regular version (and not worth it, unless you can get a deal like I did).  The retraction mechanism is  the only major difference. 

I also have a VP from the 90's (different body style) and a Raden version of the current one.

I would suggest that you find a way to try out the VP in person.  Most people either do not have a problem with the clip placement or they have a real issue with it (I'm in the latter group; I can live with it but it is a pain). The 90's version is the easiest to use, followed by the LS.

I also have a Lamy 2000.  Again, depending on how you hold it, it might be a problem for you. There are little metal 'ears' on the sides that protrude to hold the cap in place. If you grip far down on the section near the nib, the brushed metal part can also be a little slippery.

Both are great pens, as long as  you know what you're getting.

I'd get both....

Thank you for the reply.  I did notice that your VP was the new version.  And that is out of my league right now.  I write really small.  The Pilot Metropolitan in Fine is just a little too fine and the Metropolitan Medium is just a little too thick.  I realize that inks play a roll in how wide or thin the line can be, but it seems pretty consistent with different inks.

I have yet to try a L2K and look forward to seeing how an EF writes in person.

Thank you for following up on my comment!

8 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I was one of those who had problems with the clip -- but a Decimo is just enough smaller that I don't have a problem the way I did with a VP.  

The downside to Decimos is that they don't come in nearly as many colors (and not all colors are sold in the US); I had to get a grey one from an eBay seller in Japan because that wasn't available stateside -- thus saving money AND bypassing the US distributor's markup; their loss... (PilotUSA told me it was a "marketing decision").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thank you for the info.  I will look into that as well.

Noodler's Ahab Vulcan's Coral - Jinhao M. nib.  Ink:  Mixture of McCormick Culinary

Blue Food Coloring with Vegetable Glycerine

2021-02-25_00-26-50.jpg

Back on FPN after a few years' break (from FPN, not from fountain pens)! Today I will be using this little Lady Sheaffer (70's, I think?) with Rohrer & Klingner Alt Goldgrun! 

IMG_20210225_082558.jpg

Ranga 4S Green ripple with unknown black ink. It is in the 'rotating' roster for this period. I have four inked at this moment and curious to see which empites first.

2 x Ranga: Model 3  Red ripple and 4S

1 x TWSBI Eco transparent

1 x Leonardo Momento Zero Regular Coral Red

All very smooth writers.