Peyton Street Pens - Website Changes (and a coupon!)

terim

We rolled out a new version of the website on December 16 and the reaction has been very positive. Here's an introduction to the changes.

Why did the web site change?

Our old ecommerce software (Magento) platform was purchased by Adobe last year, and the simple version that we were on has stopped being supported. That means no new features, but more importantly, no big fixes and upgrades to the security technology that will prevent various kinds of attacks. We were on borrowed time!

What is staying the same ....

Our product catalog has been copied over the to the new web site, including listings that have been sold. If you have a link to an old listing, it should still work fine.

Our list of categories is the same with only a few small changes. Instead of a horizonal category list across the screen, you'll see our categories along the left side. We're saving the horizontal space for informational content such as our pen reference pages, this blog, store policies, etc.

Customer accounts have been copied over, with a few limitations that we hope will not prove to be too inconvenient. 

• You'll need to reset your password. 
  • Unfortunately, it was prohibitively costly to migrate old orders and wish lists.
  • Coupons counts have been reset, so even if you've used a coupon to its maximum number of times, as long as it has not expired you can start using it again.

You'll note some changes ....

We would not go so far as to call these improvements, but they are changes.

• Our free domestic shipping threshold has been raised to $40, so if your order is $40 or less you'll no longer get free shipping, but you will have a choice of inexpensive first class shipping.
  • RSS feeds are no longer offered. 

New features ....

The new ecommerce platform is Big Commerce and it comes with some nice enhancements:

• Store credits
  • Gift certificates
  • Integrated Blog
  • Illustrated sub-category presentation (see photo 1 below)
  • It'll be more obvious when you are looking at a listing that has been sold (see photo 2 below)

We hope you enjoy exploring the new presentation of our pens!

New promo code fpn2021 will save you $11 on an order of at least $100. You need to be registered and logged in to use the code, and it expires March 31st of 2021.

TERI AND THE PSP CREW

Photo 1 - Illustrated categories

sheaffer-cat-ss.jpg

Photo 2 - Sold products

sold-listing-ss.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• brokenclay

• JonSzanto

• MarcoA63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new site is great.

One thing I miss is the ability to see more than the 10 newest additions. I think it used to be like 25 or so. Not a biggie, but if you all load a lot of pens one day new ones might not be there for long. 

Or if there is another view I missed with just the new pens let me know.

Wishing you and the team all the best.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You're right about the new pens, we only show 12. I'm trying to find a way to add a page that shows more, but it's not a simple matter.  I've heard reports of RSS "new pens feed" withdrawal symptoms .....

I like the clean, fresh feel of the new site.  It’s pretty easy to navigate, too. Nice job!

The only things I miss are the RSS feed capability and the “wish list” — I used to keep track of pen models I liked (even if no longer available) so I could do specific searches in addition to just checking out the new additions. Guess I’ll have to use my PEN and write them down on PAPER for a change, LOL! 

Keep up the good work!  Looking forward to many hours of contented browsing!

Edited by Turquoise88

At least some of your featured posts are linking to what I'm assuming is a development server.

Example: the New Old Stock featured image is linking to https://peyton-street-pens.mybigcommerce.com/new-old-stock/, presumably should be https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/new-old-stock/. Same problem with the Ranga link.

28 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

At least some of your featured posts are linking to what I'm assuming is a development server.

Example: the New Old Stock featured image is linking to https://peyton-street-pens.mybigcommerce.com/new-old-stock/, presumably should be https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/new-old-stock/. Same problem with the Ranga link.

Thanks!!

Hmm, I'm not seeing that. The link to the category seems to be working for me and the category image is appearing:

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/new-old-stock/

The development server is the same as the production server, though you do see some old URLs on our static HTML pages that were set before we did the DNS switchover.

That being said, we are working to clean up a lot of broken links!

45 minutes ago, Turquoise88 said:

I like the clean, fresh feel of the new site.  It’s pretty easy to navigate, too. Nice job!

The only things I miss are the RSS feed capability and the “wish list” — I used to keep track of pen models I liked (even if no longer available) so I could do specific searches in addition to just checking out the new additions. Guess I’ll have to use my PEN and write them down on PAPER for a change, LOL! 

Keep up the good work!  Looking forward to many hours of contented browsing!

Thanks! I had no idea so many people were using the RSS feed, but I'm hearing about it now.  You can always bookmark a pen, and even if it sells the bookmark will still work......

16 minutes ago, terim said:

Hmm, I'm not seeing that. 

PM sent.

I also miss the ability within a category to filter on the type of item, i.e., "Fountain Pen".

I think the new site looks great, though I couldn't get my account to let me in - so I just created a new account. I guess it's no big deal if order histories aren't carrying over anyway. 

I do miss the wish list function, but otherwise I think this version is a solid improvement, for sure. Thanks for the coupon! 

It seems to be missing the "Free Pens for People Named Jon" section, but other than that it looks great!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

simpler interface to navigate, many thanks teri.  back to scrolling through all the waterman and vacumatic pens - so tempting.    

17 hours ago, NumberSix said:

I think the new site looks great, though I couldn't get my account to let me in - so I just created a new account. I guess it's no big deal if order histories aren't carrying over anyway. 

I do miss the wish list function, but otherwise I think this version is a solid improvement, for sure. Thanks for the coupon! 

We moved over all the existing accounts, but you do have to create a new password. That's all that is needed to activate your account, but there's no harm in creating a new account. Thanks!

12 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

It seems to be missing the "Free Pens for People Named Jon" section, but other than that it looks great!

You gotta go to a pen show for the special "free pens for worthy percussionists" table ....

8 hours ago, lionelc said:

simpler interface to navigate, many thanks teri.  back to scrolling through all the waterman and vacumatic pens - so tempting.    

Never many Vacs, just because they sell so darn fast, but we've added lots of Watermans recently!

2 hours ago, terim said:

You gotta go to a pen show for the special "free pens for worthy percussionists" table ....

I knew there was a trick involved. Here's to 2021!!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Teri is grrrreat!  I love your shop and love those big old Ranga’s. Super pens, in my opinion.😍 

image.png

image.png

Edited by yorkymama
Don’t want the big emogi’s

BONNIE (YORKYMAMA)

God Lovin', Song croakin', Paint smearing, dog romping, kind of gal.