What is your carry around notebook setup?

MarioR81

39 minutes ago, MarioR81 said:

beautiful setups. Pennut, I assume the blue pen inside is a montblanc 😄

Ssssh. No !  It is one of those Fisher Space pens, you may have come across them ? The USA space programme thing that can write upside down in space whilst under water in a vacuum. Lot of development went it to creating it, think the Russians took pencils sharpened at both ends 😇

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarioR81

• ParramattaPaul

• inkstainedruth

• arcfide

sgphototn that's a very clever solution. Swapping the cards is easy, easily refillable, fit the pockets... 👍

Pen Nut hehe yeah I have heard of, they don't sell around here officially at least. In second hand market they ask the price of some vintage pens so I'd prefer to go for vintage then. The Fischer are usually in all list of best pens to carry around :)

3 hours ago, MarioR81 said:

sgphototn that's a very clever solution. Swapping the cards is easy, easily refillable, fit the pockets... 👍

Pen Nut hehe yeah I have heard of, they don't sell around here officially at least. In second hand market they ask the price of some vintage pens so I'd prefer to go for vintage then. The Fischer are usually in all list of best pens to carry around :)

Cult Pens has them on sale right now: https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/fisher-space-pen

Love my One Star Leather Goods Park Slopers. I have the Junior with a bullet pen for around town and a senior without the pen slot for work meetings (when we used to have those) where my pen was usually clipped to a pocket. I just ordered another senior with the pen slot for around the house with my Decimo or Pelikan M205. Maybe I’ll also use that one out of the house when we start going out again.

Oh, that reminds me -- I have a couple of those types of pen sleeves (with the elastic band on the back) that I got at a couple of the Pelikan Hubs.  Thanks for posting the photo, bogiesan -- I never use them (and tend to carry pens in sleeves or cases in my purse for EDC usage).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

While looking for something unrelated, I stumbled across a product that may be of interest to some on this thread.

https://www.rickshawbags.com/travelers-notebook-case

It's soft case to carry multiple travelers notebooks and other stuff (including pens).  I've personally never been a fan of the travelers notebooks for two reasons:  a) I don't like how the multiple inserts are loosely held in place by the cords, and b) I'm not fond of the narrow pages.  This addresses my (a) by allowing you to carry a set of inserts in one pouch: to use one you pull out the notebook and write in it standalone.  Seems much better IMO.

There's also a video on the bottom of that page that does a nice job of showing it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Have two. I carry one of those cheap 4 1/2" x 3 1/4" ( 11.4 cm x 8.2 cm ) shirt pocket notebooks that looks like a larger composition book. You can easily tear out pages as needed. The pen is usually a Zebra F-701 that I've modified to take a Fisher Space Pen refill. I also carry a plastic dual sided storage clipboard that was a gift. I use regular college-ruled notebook paper for writing ideas. Pen was once a Preppy 02 nip with Noodler's Black, but since they're not permanent notes, I've shifted to mechanical pencil. Favorite pencil is a 0.5mm, though I will use a 0.7mm if that's what I have. That, with an eraser, makes for quick and easy revisions on the fly.

I think moving to a mechanical pencil was a wise move. I have shifted to mechanical pencil too, reason is sometimes the ink leak on the cap and there is no time to clean up the fingers 😄

I have to admit that I am using a mechanical pencil more often than not for notetaking simply for the neatness and the ability to erase mistakes.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, sgphototn said:

I like writing on index cards for quick notes. They're sturdy and take ink well. I found this on Amazon, Oxford At-Hand Note Card Case, 3" x 5" Size and this is what I use. Fits back pants pockets and shirt pockets. I don't use the pen loop as I prefer to keep my pens independent for other uses. For me, pen loops require two hands to remove the pen while holding the notepad. 

It's easy to use, fits my hand, doesn't require fiddling to start writing, sturdy enough to not flex, and has back space for extra cards and an inside pocket to save cards.

It was $6.15 delivered. 

Oxford.jpg

Nice. Just ordered one!